BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kean tight-lipped over Rovers plans

KEAN TIGHT-LIPPED OVER ROVERS PLANS

By Matt Somerford, Press Association Sport

Steve Kean refused to be drawn on the agenda of his meeting with Blackburn Rovers owners in India this week after his relegated side finished the season with a 2-1 defeat at Chelsea.

Rovers boss Kean is set to fly out to the sub-continent to meet the Venky's owners and discuss a tumultuous season that has seen the club relegated and further blighted by fan protests against the running of the club.

Last week deputy chief executive officer Paul Hunt was sacked, in the wake of apparent leaked documents regarding the way the club was being managed.

One of the items reportedly up for discussion this week is the promotion of press officer Paul Agnew to the vacated post, with Kean apparently set to push his name forward.

Agnew today told Press Association Sport he ``did not know anything'' about those reports, while Kean chose to deflect questions when he was quizzed about the subject.

``I don't want to (talk about the speculation)'', said Kean, who had to fend off similar queries regarding Agnew 12 months ago.

``I want to go out and speak with the owners. All the detail that went on last season with the rebuild program will stay within the club and we'll move forward. That's the only task now.

``I'll fly out next week and we'll make sure we continue the talks that we've already had and build the squad, a competitive squad, as quick as we can.

``I do that every season.''

Kean admitted last week's apparent leaked documents had further overshadowed a disappointing season.

With a difficult rebuilding job ahead in the summer, with the likes of star name Junior Hoilett set to leave, Kean said he was determined to make sure that his work over the coming months remained private.

``Any type of things that are leaked and speculation, you are going to get. You have to deal with that,'' he said.

``Over the course of the season there has been a lot of speculation that has been way off the mark. Some that's been spot on.

``I would agree, we need to keep our business close.

``We will be speaking about that face-to-face. I think that's the best way to discuss it.''

KEAN TIGHT-LIPPED OVER ROVERS PLANS

By Matt Somerford, Press Association Sport

Steve Kean refused to be drawn on the agenda of his meeting with Blackburn Rovers owners in India this week after his relegated side finished the season with a 2-1 defeat at Chelsea.

Rovers boss Kean is set to fly out to the sub-continent to meet the Venky's owners and discuss a tumultuous season that has seen the club relegated and further blighted by fan protests against the running of the club.

Last week deputy chief executive officer Paul Hunt was sacked, in the wake of apparent leaked documents regarding the way the club was being managed.

One of the items reportedly up for discussion this week is the promotion of press officer Paul Agnew to the vacated post, with Kean apparently set to push his name forward.

Agnew today told Press Association Sport he ``did not know anything'' about those reports, while Kean chose to deflect questions when he was quizzed about the subject.

``I don't want to (talk about the speculation)'', said Kean, who had to fend off similar queries regarding Agnew 12 months ago.

``I want to go out and speak with the owners. All the detail that went on last season with the rebuild program will stay within the club and we'll move forward. That's the only task now.

``I'll fly out next week and we'll make sure we continue the talks that we've already had and build the squad, a competitive squad, as quick as we can.

``I do that every season.''

Kean admitted last week's apparent leaked documents had further overshadowed a disappointing season.

With a difficult rebuilding job ahead in the summer, with the likes of star name Junior Hoilett set to leave, Kean said he was determined to make sure that his work over the coming months remained private.

``Any type of things that are leaked and speculation, you are going to get. You have to deal with that,'' he said.

``Over the course of the season there has been a lot of speculation that has been way off the mark. Some that's been spot on.

``I would agree, we need to keep our business close.

``We will be speaking about that face-to-face. I think that's the best way to discuss it.''

Presumably that speculation includes the season-long message [er, sorry; lie] that Hoilett was going to sign a new contract?

And presumably "keeping our business close" means springing on the fans the signing of more players like Ribeiro and M. Anderson who've never been anywhere near being selected to start games in the Premier League?

Kean tight lipped, PLEASE some one super glue the cretins lips together so I never have to hear the crap that comes out of his smarmy gob.

Kean tight lipped, PLEASE some one super glue the cretins lips together so I never have to hear the crap that comes out of his smarmy gob.

Sorry said it twice but anyway you get the drift.

"rebuild program "

Hmm. First time I've seen/heard it called that.

That suggests that Kean was given a remit when he took over to do exactly what has happened. That would stack up with his "very surprised to be sacked" comments mid-season.

Was this all part of the plan? Or did the plan change? Why would you need to rebuild something that was already working? Was there never any intention of funding the club? Were they caught out?

My guess would be that once the spectre of relegation was realised and understood by Venkys at the end of last season, steps were taken this season to remove all high earners and bring in low value players, in the full knowledge that removing all of the expensive, experienced players would likely effect results. Therefore, everyone was aware of this plan and the "rebuild program" was born (although I thought it was programme unless it was a computer program).

Perhaps there is some kind of plan to change the wage structure but that this could not be done with all of the existing, experienced players on the books and it was therefore imperitive that they were removed in order to bring wages back to a more manageable level (with Venkys not prepared to put any of their own money in). Premier League survival might have been a gamble they saw as not worth taking - particulary as they couldn't afford a proper manager.

It sounds really obvious I suppose, and nothing new but this is the first suggestion from Kean that it was part of a "deliberate plan".

The things is, if they had come out and said this at the start, rather than talk in riddles and allow Kean to keep spouting positive rubbish, patronising the fans, people might have been more likely to think "yeah, that makes some sense" even if they didn't like it.

Unfortunately, I think we have been the victims of a purchase made in error which they couldn't take it back to the shop. Like buying a Dalmation and thinking they could just take it to Crufts once a year without any proper feeding, grooming or health care. "But we love that damn mutt".

They should have made more of an effort to sell, though, particularly once they had got their money back. Keeping us chained up in the back yard whilst our howling annoys the ###### out of the neighbours is doing no-one any good.

"rebuild program "

That suggests that Kean was given a remit when he took over to do exactly what has happened. That would stack up with his "very surprised to be sacked" comments mid-season.

Was this all part of the plan? Or did the plan change? Why would you need to rebuild something that was already working? Was there never any intention of funding the club? Were they caught out?

........Perhaps there is some kind of plan to change the wage structure but that this could not be done with all of the existing, experienced players on the books and it was therefore imperitive that they were removed in order to bring wages back to a more manageable level (with Venkys not prepared to put any of their own money in). Premier League survival might have been a gamble they saw as not worth taking - particulary as they couldn't afford a proper manager.

It sounds really obvious I suppose, and nothing new but this is the first suggestion from Kean that it was part of a "deliberate plan".

Maybe the "deliberate plan" was simply an asset stripping plan all along - combined with cutting costs and employing a cheap manager to execute the "deliberate plan". There might not never have been any intention of running the club as a competitive football club.

Archived