• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

strongest 11 out of hodgsons

Hart

Jones Cahil Terry Cole

Wallcott Parker Gerrard Young

Rooney Carrol

It's hard to disagree with that. Maybe G. Johnson for Jones. Lescott for Terry? Same level as footballers but not Terry as a person.

Given that Hodgson isn't going to get a honeymoon period, he's shot himself in the foot here. Taking a young squad to blood for future tournaments would have taken the pressure off. Now he's just opened himself up to some questionable decisions. Carroll and Downing stick out like sore thumbs, there is no way the latter is merited above the likes of Lennon or Adam Johnson.

Crouch should have gone in place of Carroll given his international record. We've three strikers for 2/3 of our guaranteed games. I think Sturridge can consider himself very unlucky. He's done well for Chelsea this year.

I don't think he's taken enough strikers, let alone the right ones but Downing just beggars belief.

If he doesn't have the minerals to move away from the old guard after this tournament then it will be the same old England until the next World Cup.

good squad apart from leoscott, milner and downing, who are all crap.

Can you not throw Robert Green into the crap pack as well, just hope Ruddy is Hart's number 2.

Is Caroll better than Crouch does Caroll offer more than Crouchy.

Gareth Barry- boring and slow

I'm not his biggest fan, but Barry has been fantastic for City for the last 10 games, or so.

This is England. Over-hyped players, who play for themselves to the detriment of the team. Until that changes- and we produce better technical players that have tactical awareness- England have no chance!

Chief among them, is the new Chief, Stevie G.

Cant remember when he last had a great game - or saw him smile! (He's a miserable, boring sod.."ERM is his favourite word!"

Yes scorer of great goals, gives his all etc.. but Gerrards' contribution to Liverpool is Over-hyped - and I disappointed he never fulfilled his early potential IMO.

Now.. where's that Arrigo Sacchi article ... (he knew how to get the best out of top players - and make them a team!)

ah.. Sacchi

Missed chance from from old woy, oddball out of form Liverpool player bias that is going to come back and bite him.. Oxalbe as well is too raw at this stage, hell he isnt even picked for his own club on a regular basis (bit like the Walcott thing we did a while back, when the lad didn't even play.. as such we ended up short elsewhere).

Looks like he will go for the dodgy 4-2-3-1 IMO with the likes of Walcott, Young and gerrard supporting Rooney (when he gets over his suspension) or Carrol.

Would of rather seen Sturridge, Crouch or even Holt instead of Chamberlain and Carroll. Would of also dropped Downing..

Big shame not to see Kyle and Wilshire available, looking forward to the next world cup, I reckon we might have a chance if the current batch of youngsters progress and we have a decent manager... Walker, Rodwell, Wilshire, Welbeck, Smalling, Jones, Shelvey, Hart (young for a keeper), Micah, Sturridge, Chamberlain, Cleverly and a host of others dotted around, they actually have a good mix over the whole field with a few of captain level quality in there as well.

• Backroom

Has to be up there with the worst England squads in recent memory.

Downing and Milner for goodness sake. We'll have the slowest and most uncreative midfield in the entire tournament I imagine. A lot of grafters and not a whole lot of talent.

Would have probably suited Allardyce better than Woy, to be honest.

Barry is a really good player....he might seem "boring" at City cos his job is to break up the play and give it to a more creative player.

If he bombed up the pitch all the time then Yaya Toure, Nasri or Silva would have to cover for him and I doubt Mancini would want that.

Had a licence to do that at Villa and always impressed me when I seen him. Would play Parker over him tho.

Don't know wat England have got against Micah Richards. Am waiting for England vs Sweden so Martin Olsson can rip apart Glen Johnson haha

Given that Hodgson isn't going to get a honeymoon period, he's shot himself in the foot here. Taking a young squad to blood for future tournaments would have taken the pressure off. Now he's just opened himself up to some questionable decisions. Carroll and Downing stick out like sore thumbs, there is no way the latter is merited above the likes of Lennon or Adam Johnson.

Crouch should have gone in place of Carroll given his international record. We've three strikers for 2/3 of our guaranteed games. I think Sturridge can consider himself very unlucky. He's done well for Chelsea this year.

I don't think he's taken enough strikers, let alone the right ones but Downing just beggars belief.

If he doesn't have the minerals to move away from the old guard after this tournament then it will be the same old England until the next World Cup.

I agree. He should have written off this tournament and picked a squad for 2014. Discarded all the proven failures who will be too old then (Gerrard, Lampard, Rio, Terry, Defoe, etc etc) and given the youngsters some valuable experience. We all know Oxlade-Chamberlain will get talked up but not play a single minute - he's this squad's equivalent of Theo in 2006.

Gerrard for me is mind-boggling - has been dire for Liverpool this season, has played 33 minutes for England in 19 months yet gets picked AND as captain?!?

Should be form NOT fame - always.

The way the national team is set up has been so boring for a long time, I dont know why we never go for a more fluid 4-3-3 a bit like what arsenal used to used with one defensive midfielder and 2 attacking. In the past people couldnt understand how Lampard and gerrard couldnt play together, but they are both attacking midfielders and one was either getting played defensive or they were both hopelessly plugged into a 2 man midfield without anyone to do the defensive work for them they got shown up.

I'm sick of most teams now using the 4-2-3-1, I think it makes for cagey, slow and boring games especially when both sides are using it... Man utd vs Man city was one in paticular that was just so Boring!

As Carrick ruled himself out at least that explains Henderson. To not see Richards or Adam Johnson involved is very disappointing but I doubt either would have made a great deal of difference to where we finish in the tournament. Glad to see the Ox involved. We'd do well to get out of the group. I fear France will tear us to pieces. Again.

Gerrard for me is mind-boggling - has been dire for Liverpool this season, has played 33 minutes for England in 19 months yet gets picked AND as captain?!?

Should be form NOT fame - always.

Hodgson has already cow towed to the numpties in the press and media brigade. Playing safe... he's quite obviously aiming no higher than a quarter (and if lucky semi final) place to buy him more time as opposed to going sh1t or bust and being pilloried for leaving out the pressmens favourites. He should rem Sir Alf Ramseys experiences cos he's old enough. Odd that he should be making Gerrard captain after the rumours of his time at Liverpool. :rock:

this squad is a big mistake cos it's not what the England fans want. We want to see pride and enthusiasm from those in the shirt. Although they will all profess great pride and repeatedly kiss the 3 lions badge we all know that there is precious little of that in the squad he's picked.

Pretty average squad, filled with players that Sky Sports repeatedly tells everyone are 'world class'. Apart from Ashley Cole (arguably the best left back in the world by default as there are very few good left backs around at the moment, Abidal, Lahm and Coentrão are the only other good ones I can think of), Rooney (who is banned for the first two games and has never performed at a major tournament) and Gerrard at a push, the rest of team is very ordinary. I would be surprised if they get out of the group.

I've created a league in UEFA Fantasy Football called Blackburn Rovers Euros League. Its free.

Joining the league couldn't be easier. Simply use this link and you'll be added automatically after you've entered the game:

Rovers Euro 2012 Fantasy Footy League

You shouldn't need the league code, but just in case here it is: 49632-11849.

Should have picked a team of FORM players consisting of:

Joe Hart

John Ruddy

Frank Fielding

Micah Richards RB or CB

Phil Jones Can do the RB, CB CM positions

Kyle Walker

Steven Caulker

John Terry

Joleon Lescott

Ashley Cole

Ryan Bertrand OR Leighton Baines

Alex Chamberlain

Scotty Parker - CAPTAIN

Frank Lampard

Scott Sinclair

Michael Carrick

Ashley Young

Gareth Barry

Grant Holt

Danny Sturridge

Wayne Rooney

Peter Crouch

Andy Carroll

Hart

Richards Jones Terry Cole

Young Parker Lampard Barry

Rooney(Drifting from midfield to striker as a link player)

Carroll

No Gerrard for me, I think hes on the decline rapidly. Done nothing for almost two years and never played for well for england.

For the first time in a long time, the English media seem to have backed off with the ridiculous predictions, hype and expectations. There is plenty of time for that to change though. But if England just went into a tournament with the same level of understated expectations and an attitude of let's see what happens, as other middling nations like Denmark, Portugal or Sweden do, then they could surprise themselves. At least there wouldn't be yet another national outcry when people are genuinely shocked that a mediocre team doesn't beat the top nations in the world. That seems to be more the case from what I've heard and read so far.

From an outside perspective there is not always the standard well like u say, "ridiculous predictions, hype and expectations" at this stage as the memory of last tournament's failure is still fresh in the mind.

Sometimes once the season is over and all attention is on the tournament, the expectation starts to creep in eg "We're gonna win this one cos this time we have Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, A Cole etc"

U never know u might win it.....Greece did......depends on wat tactics Hodgson will play.......if it's mostly ball retention then I can't see u beating the actual top teams.......but I think u won't seeing as Carroll is in the squad.......altho that didn't work with Capello and Heskey.....even tho Heskey was probs ur best player at the World Cup haha

Personally reckon woy was second choice but given current talent available was put in there for this one, shame because for all his sins (and there are so many.. no manager in the history of football has ever managed so many clubs that went bust after the manager left, and that is fact) the napp is a motivator.

Archived