BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BRSIT urge owners to get in touch.

• Backroom

The lack of numbers does seem apparent, if there were £2m pledges before Saturday and 500 non pledgers turned up at the meeting and all wanted to pledge then it's still only an extra 5%, unless there was an extra 7k or so folk that couldn't get in its still a million miles away

What would worry me also is if the club was to be sold for so cheap then it would either be saddled with debt or stripped of any assets before a sale meaning a lot of cash would be needed to achieve the proposed promotion within 2 years.

Never mind the cost of paying off a manager, hiring another along with a competent backroom team.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

There aren't many clubs where one hand washes the other financially, in fact there's probably under 5 in England....

Rovers relies on big subsidising, I doubt very much under this scheme whether such big subsidising is feasible.

For those asking 'why won't it work?', it's quite simple:

Rovers supporters simply don't have enough money between them to make this happen.

It's a dream, a nice dream, but particularly in the current financial climate, the required amount of money will simply not be raised.

Sadly, you are 100% correct.

To the person that was going on about how community ownership works and everything else...I've not seen anyone denying that it works out in business? There are three issues though:

1. Ownership issues come after a business is sold.

2. Venkys are not selling.

3. BRSIT do not have the cash and are likely never to have the funds to sustain the club.

I'd say no, not personal wealth anyway.

- Wild is a director of a local engineering firm

- Currie and Battersby are own an investment company

- Khan is an investment banker

They may well be very well off but not "football club ownership well off" - perhaps they could make a bid for a lower league club - so maybe one day!

- Fans (BRSIT) have "raised" about £2m in non-commital IOUs.

The hope is that Currie/Battersby have enough contacts to pull together funds for a bid. But the fact they involvement in the investment industry suggests they will be seeking people who wish to make a return on their funds. Is that really an option at Rovers? (Or any football club for that matter?).

Football clubs aren't an investment, they are a passion - for people with more money than sense (excluding really thick poor people). Why would anyone think there is a return possible - particularly post-Venkys? What value is left in the club? Brockhall? Aside from land or player trading, the only other investment dream is to get to the PL and get their hands on the lolly - e.g. Burnley - but it's not sustainable without expending massive wages, minimising the margins.

We need passionate people who want to make this work - sadly these people (fans) cannot afford to buy or run the club without (financial) help. For a good while, our best hope was that Venkys would make a go of it but that ship has sailed.

The dream has died. :(

I dont think it ever was a case of Currie and Battersby using all their own money.If you look at the Seneca website at the financial experience and the level they work up to i think you will find that Seneca/Khan would not have gone public on it if they didnt think they could deliver it.People at that level professionally aren't chancers IMO.You would think they have done their sums and got potential backers together to do it.Lets not get into motives and returns for investors as thats their issue.From what we know and piece together this has to be the best option out there for the Club and our best hope for local ownership

I hear a lot of people saying "it won't work" but never do they say WHY they think that.

Here is my "WHY":

Venky's reportedly want £30m. BRSIT want to offer them £10m. BRSIT have £2m in pledges and £0 in hard cash.

Even if the amount pledged increases five-fold, every single person comes up with the money AND Venky's gave away the club away for free out of the goodness of their hearts, we would be left with a football club with a £40m pa wage bill (or a lower wage bill and no senior players!) and premier league level infrastructure, belonging to owners with a nett worth of £10m. But lets face it, the three assumptions at the beginning of this paragraph are all straight from cloud cuckoo land.

Independant fan ownership just does not appear to be a credible option to me. Partly fan owned, with a trusted larger investor would be a much more realistic way to go and (again only in my opinion) might lead to an increase in the number of people pledging just because it looks more realistic.

BRSIT must join forces with Currie/Battersby/Khan,then and only then will we have some real financial clout and muscle.

But the Rao's dont want to talk with anyone...

BRSIT will respond to all those who are members in a totally transparent way. But then you believe BRSIT will fail don't you, hence your refusal to take an involvement. Perhaps you will be able to influence Seneca?

BRSIT has repeatedly stated a willingness to work with any bidders who are committed to the Rovers, the two Ians tick that box.

BRSIT will respond to all those who are members in a totally transparent way. But then you believe BRSIT will fail don't you, hence your refusal to take an involvement. Perhaps you will be able to influence Seneca?

BRSIT has repeatedly stated a willingness to work with any bidders who are committed to the Rovers, the two Ians tick that box.

The thing I don't get is, when will "stating a willingness to work with" turn into tangible action? It's all too passive imo. I am happy to state my willingness to work with President Obama to get the US housing sector moving - there, job done. Who, if anyone, has made any positive moves to coalesce these group into one?

The thing I don't get is, when will "stating a willingness to work with" turn into tangible action? It's all too passive imo. I am happy to state my willingness to work with President Obama to get the US housing sector moving - there, job done. Who, if anyone, has made any positive moves to coalesce these group into one?

BRSIT is only just coming together after about 6 weeks or so of work (Supporters Direct apparently said that matched what Portsmouth had taken over two years to get to), the discussions and contacts will take place when they need to. The routes and contact points are clear and any need can be resolved relatively quickly

Patience please

BRSIT must join forces with Currie/Battersby/Khan,then and only then will we have some real financial clout and muscle.

But the Rao's dont want to talk with anyone...

Except that Khan already knows Annie D directly, according to Kamy in the BRFCS podcast.

Archived