BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newsham gone ?

Never managed to crack a smile. Never watched a match I don't think either. I rem a picture of him in the background (of a shot of Allardyce I think) when the Rovers scored an important late goal against Arsenal or Man Utd or similar. Everyone in the ground was up and cheering in elation whilst JN was looking the other way totally disinterested with his usual glum expression..

Sounds to me like a very professional approach to safety and security that. Hardly a stick to beat him with.

However, if he doesn't like Rovers (or even football) then that's not a crime either, however, he was very unlucky to end up living in or around Nuttall St. Presumably he was born there rather than moved. ;)

I do take exception to the invasive and surprise searches of women and children at the ground though. Perhaps in hindsight he might have been better walking out on principle if he had been instructed to do so.

Someone told me recently that JN could be the one to go in front of the cameras at tell a few truths about the goings on but if he's had to sign an NDA in exchange for his thirty pieces of silver, I actually wouldn't blame him. We'll see.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never managed to crack a smile. Never watched a match I don't think either. I rem a picture of him in the background (of a shot of Allardyce I think) when the Rovers scored an important late goal against Arsenal or Man Utd or similar. Everyone in the ground was up and cheering in elation whilst JN was looking the other way totally disinterested with his usual glum expression.

As a ground safety officer, isnt it that moment when a goal is scored by either team, the most potentially volatile moment in any stadium when outbreaks of unrest could occur.

Or Maybe..... Dunno much about employment law but if he was planning to retire shortly might an unfair dismissal payout not provide a nice parting retirement gift? He couldn't have manipulated Billy Liar into this action could he? :huh:

These days, you simply cannot sack anyone.

There are a number of potential scenarios - not sure of Newsham's age, so leave the retirement scenario out of it.

Seems sudden, therefore, redundancy unlikely and there is of course a process employers have to go through for that option.

Most likely, I'd think, a pay-off also securing Newsham's silence through a NDA and hence his "no comment" in the LT unless of course he's taking legal advice / action.

• Moderation Lead

The buying off of all former staff, by making them sign NDAs should have caused alarm bells to start ringing a long time ago. They're not exactly slow to start suing people as well...

The searching of kids in the Darwin End means I won't be shedding a tear for Newsham's going.

But I am raising an eyebrow. Actually who will be left to do anything come next season? Not that we've been functioning well - quite the reverse - but will we actually be able to function at all next season if we keep getting rid of people left, right and centre?

• Moderation Lead

The searching of kids in the Darwin End means I won't be shedding a tear for Newsham's going.

But I am raising an eyebrow. Actually who will be left to do anything come next season? Not that we've been functioning well - quite the reverse - but will we actually be able to function at all next season if we keep getting rid of people left, right and centre?

Textbook Rovers atm, sacking everyone but the one that matters.

Cost-cutting? Don't make me laugh. Kean earns more in a week than what most of the staff earn in a year.

Scumbag.

Seems sudden, therefore, redundancy unlikely and there is of course a process employers have to go through for that option.

Minor point on this. it is possible to make 'redundancies' very very quickly. The consultation period for redundancies is only required when there are above a certain number of positions at risk.

Been told today by a good source that Phil Moulton Kean's bodyguard will be involved in the replacement strategy for John Newsham, and will head the security/stadium safety

So are they homing in on all his skill sets by offering secure valet parking as well? Special Offer for season ticket holders "Let our head of Security park you car in a kung fu styleee"

Been told today by a good source that Phil Moulton Kean's bodyguard will be involved in the replacement strategy for John Newsham, and will head the security/stadium safety

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAH.

Cheapest option possible - another cost saving?

If this was happening at any other UK company - with performance dropping off as it has - I expect the authorities would be keeping very close tabs on things. Is there nothing in UK corporate law that can save us? Like not having a board structure? Or not having a UK CEO or Deputy CEO?

I do take exception to the invasive and surprise searches of women and children at the ground though. Perhaps in hindsight he might have been better walking out on principle if he had been instructed to do so.

Who would walk out on principle in such circumstances? He was the Safety Officer and was asked to check that no banners or whatever were to be let into the ground as they could spark even more unrest. I don't agree with it as I hate Venky's, Anderson and Kean but really...big deal. In what way, shape or form is about women being searched worse than men being searched? It should be done by women but, other than that, then whatever. As for kids being searched...again, if done in a professional manner then it is neither here nor there. Not sure why you say they were "invasive", same stuff happens to millions around the world every day at airports, train stations, bus stations, etc etc.

Newsham, I presume, has family to provide for and so I think far more highly of him for getting on with his job then I would if he had quit and ignored their needs on the altar of his own moral self-sacrifice.

As far as I can work out, Newsham did his job and what his bosses asked him to do. Nor reason to either disparage or praise him. His removal is irrelevant except insofar as it suggests that Anderson and Kean are still the powers behind the throne and that they are clamping down on any dissenting opinions.

In such case, it shows just what a piece of work Agnew must be...

Whether true or not, surely we all can now see who really rule the roost at Rovers.

Hint - it sure as hell ain't Venky's...

Was it John Newsham that turned up the music on full volume to drown out the first stay-behind protest?

To be fair to him, it was him that directly asked for it to be turned OFF.

Had he pre-planned for music to be played, I do not know.

Will he take care of half time pies also?

No I think it will be Karen Silk's dual role job, she has experience from her time at Stadia catering :), but then again she might have once looked at King Kean funny so she might be out of the door, what does Mrs Kean do for a living???

Phil is also responsible for the outside agency Elite who grew in numbers as the season went on, he owns it

It just gets worse by the day. What next?

Archived