BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburns proposed new bus station

Anyone see the new proposed £5m bus station to be located on the old market site. For me this is a mistake in that they are choosing this location. Whilst its ok for a new bus station, the old market site for me is definitely not the right location.

This site, the old market site between Penny street and Ainsworth street should be a green field site mirroring and complimenting Blackburn Cathedral gardens if we are that is to make Blackburn town centre an attractive place to work and visit.

As for the location of a new bus station i'd be prepared to put it on the Thwaites brewery side of Penny street.

What's wrong the Bouley as it is ? Donkeys running that town

Obviously there must be something in it for someone. <_< The Boulevard is currently sandwiched perfectly between the train station and the shopping centre..... an absolutely ideal location. Unfortunately some agendad PR is claiming it is 'windswept' ffs! Tossers / bent tossers take your pick. Someone unnamed with sticky fingers will be benefitting from moving it. :angry2:

Obviously there must be something in it for someone. <_< The Boulevard is currently sandwiched perfectly between the train station and the shopping centre..... an absolutely ideal location. Unfortunately some agendad PR is claiming it is 'windswept' ffs! Tossers / bent tossers take your pick. Someone unnamed with sticky fingers will be benefitting from moving it. :angry2:

Windswept ? Been ok for the last 60, 70 years or more ? What a load of nonsense.

I agree the location is perfect but surely that is all one can say about the Boulevard? I've used a lot of public transport the last year, including the Bouley, and it's very poor by comparison with other bus stations. No real weather protection, no live information, no information office, no seating, no toilets (perhaps in the station?) etc.

Compare this with Chorley Intechange directly opposite the train station, next to the town centre, clean, modern and has all the facilities which the Bouley lacks.

Improving the bus station is a part of improving the town centre in general. I can only imagine you haven't been on a bus recently?

I agree the location is perfect but surely that is all one can say about the Boulevard? I've used a lot of public transport the last year, including the Bouley, and it's very poor by comparison with other bus stations. No real weather protection, no live information, no information office, no seating, no toilets (perhaps in the station?) etc.

Compare this with Chorley Intechange directly opposite the train station, next to the town centre, clean, modern and has all the facilities which the Bouley lacks.

Improving the bus station is a part of improving the town centre in general. I can only imagine you haven't been on a bus recently?

So upgrade it, don't move it. I'm with Theno and AS on this one. What a complete waste of £5m - could have bought a striker with that and kept Blackburn on the map - I jest of course. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it'll be like that white elephant they call the Wainwright Bridge. Replace a single carriageway bridge with a dual carriageway bridge and the mark the bloody thing out as single carriageway with massive cycle lanes! The Town Planners are loopy - obviously used to receiving massive budgets and working out what half finished job they can do next.

Don't get me started on the half-arsed orbital route and the now pointless demolition of the Printers Arms on the grounds of improving safety - yeah, until the bloody money ran out.

Fix some effing potholes that are damaging my car, no wonder we have high insurance costs, FFS.

Kean Out!

The boulevard needs a makeover with new signage etc but it is in the perfect location next to the railway station for those wanting to transfer from bus to rail and vice-versa. This proposal shows the lack of joined-up thinking over transport in this country and daft plans such as this will only drive people away from public transport. They make no sense at all and should be thrown out.

It could be another St. Mark's Square. We could call it Sir Steve Kean Boulevard.

:lol::lol:

Don't forget the new landmarks that could go in

- The Dewy Grass kids play area

- The False Hope Fountain

- That construction site in the corner that never seems to get finished but has a sign "Everyone can see what we're trying to build here"

- And of course the new pub on the corner, "The Grinning Git"

:lol::lol:

Don't forget the new landmarks that could go in

- The Dewy Grass kids play area

- The False Hope Fountain

- That construction site in the corner that never seems to get finished but has a sign "Everyone can see what we're trying to build here"

- And of course the new pub on the corner, "The Grinning Git"

And of course the new pub on the corner, "The Grinning Git"

Fell off my chair laughing

The boulevard needs a makeover with new signage etc but it is in the perfect location next to the railway station for those wanting to transfer from bus to rail and vice-versa. This proposal shows the lack of joined-up thinking over transport in this country and daft plans such as this will only drive people away from public transport. They make no sense at all and should be thrown out.

Jim you are old enough and cynical enough to know as well as I that it will make plenty of sense to someone, somewhere. Just try and find someone or some group that stands to gain. A Supermarket perhaps? Slap bang on 10 acres of spare ground between the bus and railway stations? Prestigious Super mosque for Blackburn possibly? Planners could hardly turn that down right next to the Cathedral could they? New capita nerve centre even? All would involve a massive building spend with all the usual and time honoured associated kick backs for prominant local dignitaries.

Somewhere there will be a reason for such an obtuse and illogical proposal. <_<

I WAS TOLD THERE WAS A SAINSBURYS GOING ON THOWD MARKET??

Another stupid idea Abbey! this area, the old market, should become a public open green space purely for the future benefit of Blackburn town and its centre.

Straw and Hollern out!

What gets me about Blackburn and its councils workings is from personal few brief encounters, is, that they always go for the low maintenance route on anything they decide to do.

Yet, we have thousands of people unemployed who could provide regular maintenance on the many things in the borough, especially in the town centre, instead of just waiting for things to slowly deteriorate over several years whilst they wait for the next grant to come along.

For me they should always factor in high maintenance to give the town that much needed bit of pride back and get some of the locals working again .

The only alternative to keeping it close to the Railway station, is to put it up on the Morrissons car park with access two ways, one via cicely lane, and the other via the boulevard, between the old star and garter pub and the Lancashire Telegraph building.

Archived