BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] euro12 thread

Two good games today....impressive performances in the first half from Poland and Czech Republic and in the second half from Greece and Russia. Had Lewandowski to score first/Greece to win 2-1 and Dzagoev to score first/2-2 draw so just need to work on my correct score. Really gutted when Greece missed the penalty and got that goal disallowed.

I hope the racism tomorrow gets drowned out or the offenders thrown out....but Germany vs Portugal should be a cracker.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poland looked really decent at times going forward especially on the counter, not sure they have the mental resolve and defensive qualities to go far but it's hard to say for sure after just the one game. Russia looked impressive, Arshavin and Dzagoev had cracking games but like the Poles until they come up against better quality it's hard to judge how good they really are.

Looking forward to both games today from the 'Group of Death'. You would think both Holland and Germany should win but upsets do happen.

http://www.eloratings.net/world.html ELO ratings and one can see recent matches of teams too. Portugal is not doing too well recently. I have a copy of the 2006 Netherlands/Portugal match at the World Cup when there were so many yellow cards and ill-spirit. I'm looking forward to seeing how that one will pan out when they face each other. As for today, I don't see them winning vs. Germany but Portugal were pretty good at the 2010 World Cup and played Brazil and Spain well. I expect Netherlands to win but they are geographically close to Denmark, I think there is a chance the Danes could get a result.

As an aside just how bad is mark bright?

Shocking

not as bad as the ex rover co commentater on itv.He must be the worst in the world in any sport.

Also just seen footage on you tube of the russian fans attacking polish stewards...it would be all over the european media if it was us English wouldnt it.

not as bad as the ex rover co commentater on itv.He must be the worst in the world in any sport.

Also just seen footage on you tube of the russian fans attacking polish stewards...it would be all over the european media if it was us English wouldnt it.

Fair play to them if they had the balls for that ..... I certainly wouldn't like to tackle that lot that faced us in Krakow.

• Moderation Lead

I wouldn't fancy England's chances against any of the teams so far.

We'd definitely struggle against Russia. If Kerzhakov had brought his shooting boots, it could have been an even heavier win for them yesterday!

Russia certainly looked the strongest team but I'm not convinced about Czech Republic. They started brightly then went back to how they played in qualifying when they scraped through. They even lost at home to Lithuania. I'll wait for Russia to come up against quality opposition before I consider them as real contenders. They look to have a bit of squad depth as well, especially up front and Arshavin will be good because he's actually played in his right position in the middle.

• Moderation Lead

Denmark beating the dutch, against the run of play or what ?

If Robben passed more/at all the Dutch would have scored a few already...

I wouldn't fancy England's chances against any of the teams so far.

Such nonsense. For starters, you wouldn't fancy England's chances against a Czech side that barely scraped by the Scots?

• Backroom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBxzbx2D22M

So it took 30 russian fans to beat up a couple of stewards (for no reason) and then they leg it like cowards. Russia 2018, very well done Blatter. Surely that should be automatic disqualification from the tournament? If footy authorities took a zero tolerance approach to violence, surely the game would be healthier? Or maybe not a single game would get played :/

Some hard core measures in Poland:

KRAKOW - From testicle-biting police dogs to sonic cannons capable of inducing involuntary urination, Polish anti-hooligan squads have an array of weapons ready for potential trouble-makers at Euro 2012.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Euro+2012+testicle+biting+dogs+readied+England+hooligans/6750932/story.html#ixzz1xKPt4WIo

England fans, sorry to say in 1990 were pretty bad in Italy. But I hope any trouble makers are cracked down on. Who knows what's going on, probably minor stuff, one story said Russian and English speakers in a bar were targeted by Polish hooligans.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/hooligans-attacked-englishspeaking-fans-7831854.html

Not the first time there's been thousands of Germans in Poland

Angela Merkel arrives at Passport Control at a Polish airport.

"Nationality?" asks the immigration officer.

"German," she replies.

"Occupation?"

"No, just here for the game."

I'm not seeing the game but Argentina scored in the 75th minute to tie up Brazil, 3-3, only a friendly but there can't be any real "friendlies" between those two...game going on now. http://www.soccerway.com/matches/2012/06/09/world/friendlies/argentina/brazil/1284941/

Well, Portugal is one of the teams I am cheering for, so we will see, they lost to one of if not the best team in the tournament, barely. Clearly the announcers thought Portugal "squandered" a chance to tie it up, I dont' think it was a 'squandered' chance, they were certainly knocking on the door.

Archived