BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rangers

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, unless the authorities get a grip on footballers wages a lot more of this is going to be seen.Football and the associated agent,player greed is totally ruining the competitive game,the supporter of the smaller club irrespective of how well its run are the most hard done by as they are geared for empty trophy cabinets

As in F1 racing the grid has been set with the present table positions at the end of last season,pretty much how the premier league is going to look from now on.The new fair play rules simply entrench the top clubs where they are.

From 4th place down all the clubs are cannon fodder existing only to feed the voracious appetite of the Man U`s and Sky television.We were lucky in that our name is on that league title cup, and I`m pretty sure we were the last of the fairytale winners.

This talk of super leagues is a load of crap.It basically will come across as an international fixture that the players and agents can make a shed load more money from.

the Scottish game is a perfect example,Rangers showed all the greed that is present in the top echelon of the prem league, the problem though was the limited amount of competitive clubs to feed their coffers.Their gates are double ours ,virtually every year they played champions league football plus they also have the Sky money and yet they couldn`t pay the bills,all because of greed.

The only way to save football and to truly allow all fans to dare to dream is to introduce wage caps,and some sort of draft system that is far more transparent.All earnings should be channelled into a communal pot and shared evenly between clubs.

Imagine how great it would be to have at least a dozen clubs competing evenly for the title every year,it truly would bring the passion and absolute joy back to the game and at the same time all round financial stability.

Sadly the Scottish FA knew what was going on at Rangers.

Its the loyal fans who suffer the most,neither Rangers or Rovers fans deserve what we are getting.

At least the Rangers fans have enjoyed success under the owners that have shafted them. Not to mention they cheated for that success.

What have we enjoyed under this shower?

When the club is sold does this include the players or is it just the physical assets? I was wondering about this from three views:

The club was sold for £5.5m. I can't name a single player but assume the squad is worth more than this. The administrator has a legal duty to raise as much cash as possible. Surely the players should have been transferred to raise cash?

The players are contracted to the old club, are those contracts void as the club no longer exists?

If a player's contract was with the defunct club does the new one actually have a team?

Maybe TUPE will apply?

Footballers have a lot of power these days but not all of them are fortunate enough to have loads of offers to go elsewhere. Some will be desperately hoping they will still have a job. You have to hand it to people like McCoist for sticking around throughout all this.

A lot will depend on the SPL vote.

No set of fans deserve whats happening at rangers but alot of the success that they enjoyed was down to the club essentially cheating.

Over recent years several of the weaker teams started improving only for rangers to buy up key players with money they didn't realy have.

Its a hard one and everyone knows similar things are going on in other leagues its just a case of catching the cheaters.

You would have to be cold blooded not to feel for the fans though.

• 4 weeks later...

Very pleased at that outcome. The rest of them will regret it. In 4 years time Rangers will be the strongest club financially in the whole of Scottish football. The rest of them are complete idiots for allowing this to happen.

It's a league with only four 'major' games a season. It's not undervalued, it's just crap.

It's a crap, uninspiring, uncompetative, anti football and anti football supporter format that media money has recreated right across most of Europe.

I'm a Celtic fan. I take no pleasure in what has happened to Rangers. The club deserves what has happened. The fans don't.

No offence Roy but I'm sure Scottish football supporters would be better served if the same happened to your lot too.

I find it puzzling that certain people are lamenting that this has happened to Rangers rather than 'the other lot'. It is Rangers - held up by some south of the border as somehow more worthy or virtuous - not 'the other lot' (or anybody else for that matter), who have declined to play by the rules and pay what they owe to the government to which they profess such loyalty.

Scottish football is terrible anyway and the absence of its only meaningful competition and fixture will surely only hurt it. Personally I can't see how getting rid of Rangers can do anything other than significant fiscal damage to the whole structure.

All that being said, as a matter of principle I can't say I've much sympathy for Rangers. Indeed the country in general might benefit from a dilution of the poisonous Old Firm rubbish that flares up at least four times a year.

Not having followed this story to the full, the thing that stands out to me is the fact that clubs get to vote on the punishment for liquidation - or if you like, the starting point for new clubs.

Aren't there rules that govern this situation? If there aren't, there should be and they should be adhered to surely? How can it be right that the next time this happens, the club concerned could be treated completely differently to how Rangers were treated? Beats me.

No offence Roy but I'm sure Scottish football supporters would be better served if the same happened to your lot.

I presume that you're basing that on nothing more than your apparent personal dislike of Celtic.....Celtic usually bring more away fans than Rangers so I would think that they would rather Rangers went under...although I don't live in Scotland anymore and it might have changed a bit now....also because it was mainly as a result of Rangers' reckless spending to try and win the Champions League that caused the Old Firm dominance in recent times.....money which they obviously didn't have.

The people who are taking delight in Rangers' demise are doing so mainly because most of their fans are ugly ####### but also because it could be beneficial to Scottish football....mainly for the other teams in the Premier League, barring Celtic for whom there are positives and negatives and it's hard to determine atm whether it's a good thing or not.. Attendances rise pretty significantly when other clubs are in the middle of a run in Europe so they will now have more chance of qualifying which also allows them to attract better players etc. Actually also in seasons when clubs have qualified for Europe, they continue to get higher attendances all season long.

The argument that other clubs need the Old Firm for money when they play them doesn't hold much weight as a "split" occurs during the season and the bottom 6 then only play other teams in the bottom 6....so it only works out at 3 games a season against the Old Firm for those teams in the bottom half.

Attendances have risen significantly in the past when one of the Old Firm weren't a top team....from the end of the 1970s till the 80s, this happened and attendances were higher for the rest of the teams. At this time, Rangers won the League just once from 1979 to 1988 until David Murray took over and then they cheated their way to any trophy they have won since......during this time the title was won 5 times by Celtic and 4 by other clubs......but clubs outside of the Old Firm did well in Europe at this time also with Dundee United getting to the semi-final of the European Cup and the final of the UEFA cup a few years later, and Aberdeen won the Eurpean Cup Winners Cup in 1983, beating Real Madrid and Bayern Munich along the way.

People make the argument that other clubs will get less TV money but most of it goes to Celtic and Rangers anyway so it isn't really a big issue....and in terms of prize money for where a club finishes, the gap between the top 2 isn't much but drops significantly to 3rd so the loss of Rangers would be beneficial in that respect.....Rangers dominated and won 9 league titles in a row from 1989-97 after David Murray came, and they were helped in attracting better players due to English clubs being banned from Europe, until Celtic then closed the gap after signing Henrik Larsson, the King of Kings......but even so 4 different sides came in 2nd behind Rangers in this period and the average gap between 1st and 2nd was 7 points.

The league was re-branded the Scottish League Premier Division which lasted from 1976-1998 and in this time there were only 7 occasions when Rangers and Celtic came 1st and 2nd......the National team was also more successful in this time, qualifying for 5 World Cups in a row and 2 European C'ships...whereas now the last tournament we qualified for was the 1998 World Cup.

Basically it will probably be beneficial on the whole now that Rangers are gone.....and people say the Scottish (and Spanish Leagues) are boring because only 2 teams challenge for the title.....well how many Premier Leagues have there been in which more than 2 teams challenged for it?.....I can't think of any off the top of my head but there can't be more than 2 or 3....it's mostly just United vs someone else.

• Moderation Lead

Very interesting comment by the ex Rangers DOF saying that Rangers fans would continue to go to home matches, but not continue to go away from home, as not to support all the teams that voted against them.

Saw some very interesting stats about how much Rangers/Celtic games contributed to SPL clubs' finances... They are in for a rude financial awakening next season. Also, I cannot imagine Sky having anywhere near the same amount of interest (if any) in an SPL without Rangers in it. I personally think Scottish football is heading for the abyss....

I presume that you're basing that on nothing more than your apparent personal dislike of Celtic.....Celtic usually bring more away fans than Rangers so I would think that they would rather Rangers went under

Sorry if you misinterpreted my post cos I actually meant if it had happened to Celtic as well.

Given the behaviour of Rangers supporters in Manchester and Celtic supporters Blackburn in recent years the world of football would be better off if they both crashed and burned. I have nothing but contempt for such Glaswegian scum whatever side of the divide they are on.

btw imo football would be better served if one or two of our 'big clubs' bit the dust too as well as their Spanish and Italian equivalents.

Saw some very interesting stats about how much Rangers/Celtic games contributed to SPL clubs' finances... They are in for a rude financial awakening next season. Also, I cannot imagine Sky having anywhere near the same amount of interest (if any) in an SPL without Rangers in it. I personally think Scottish football is heading for the abyss....

I assume by 'they' you mean other SPL clubs? Lets take a step back here. Does Scotland have any decent home produced footballers these days? No doubt it has a lot of bog ordinary overpaidfootballers who think they are worth thousands a week and employs a load of camp followers to back them up. Just what is wrong with paying professional footballers something equivalent to an average wage of the country they are in and whatever is relative to the earning potential of their employer? No Scottish fixture needs to feel threatened by reduced income they'll just have to reduce expenditure to suit. A few foreigners might eff off elsewhere and a few Angus Kickaballs might find work in other 'B' leagues around Europe but there you go. The rest will still lace their boots every Saturday however much their income falls cos it's what men like doing. What is certain is that reduced income has to result in reduced expenditure cos thats how business works in the real world. If a few posh cars, executive pads and topless model have to go back onto the market who cares?

Personally having seen 'the new Wayne Rooney' in action for us I'd not pay him with bloody washers. Mark Hughes wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole. I don't know what he is being paid but I'm serious when I say I've played against better than him in the Blackburn bloody Sunday league! If I were to judge I'd say his future earnings from sport should come from cage fighting.

Very interesting comment by the ex Rangers DOF saying that Rangers fans would continue to go to home matches, but not continue to go away from home, as not to support all the teams that voted against them.

Lets get this straight The Rangers Football club DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE.

Rumours in Scotland are that the SFA are deeply worried about any investigations into their governance of scotttish football over the past few years especially where the old Glasgow Rangers fc are concerned.

Lets get this straight Glasgow Rangers Football club DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE.

Rumours in Scotland are that the SFA are deeply worried about any investigations into their governance of scotttish football over the past few years especially where the old Glasgow Rangers fc are concerned.

SFA or SPL?

Archived