BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Olympics 2012

Very unimpressed with the BBC commentators.....totally lacking in knowledge of athletes and obviously cannot recognise half of them....disgraceful.

Porto striker Hulk plays for Mexico apparently.

McCartney continues to be utterly embarrassing.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We went to a small fancy dress party with everyone attending dressed as their favourite Olympian. Good fun. The general consensus was a good event undermined by the tortuously long athlete's parade and the embarrassing Paul McCartney. It's ridiculous we can no longer have a national event without rolling him out - if Cliff had duetted with him that would have capped it.

Joking aside the ceremony should have finished with the flame as it just fizzled out at the end. These things need a sharp cut off point, like switching off a light.

I found myself growing into Boyle's production as it progressed. If your British or have a reasonable knowledge of British history it will have worked for you. Not sure how the rest of the world will have reacted? I've never seen an opening ceremony before so can't make a comparison but I like that it unashamedly celebrated our culture and didn't pander to the possible expectations of a wider audience.

The flame was stunning.

I fully appreciate why the athletes parade but it was ridiculously over long. In my own home I would have gone to bed. I wouldn't watch the event from another country and I wouldn't pay £2012 to be there!!

Noticeable there were many empty VIP seats during the athlete parade. Very poor impression from the countries who couldn't bother to watch other competitors. Also noticeable there were large gaps in the paying audience by the end.

Very disappointed in the BBC commentary which seemed ill informed and almost disinterested. Prior to the ceremony we had Lineker, Barker, McEnroe (love his tennis stuff but Olympics? Token Yank?) and someone I didn't recognise. Another group included Michelle Hussain, Amir Khan and two others I've forgotten already. If this is going to be the BBC standard it will be very disappointing - very lightweight and it isn't a combination of MOTD and Wimbledon.

I was utterly shocked by Muhammad Ali's appearance. I knew he was seriously ill but had not appreciated the extent of his difficulties. I feel his presence in such a highly visible role was a huge mistake by the organisers. People know I have a disabled son and would never suggested those with such difficulties should be hidden away but I felt this humiliated a human being and great athlete who appeared to have little if any knowledge of the events around him.

Last point. Thought the official Team GB outfit poor and a touch scruffy. Suits etc should have been the order of the day. Bad night all round for the McCartney family. Good thing Redgrave decided to wear trousers!!

I don't plan to watch much of the Games though I'm really looking forward to the cycling and we may pop down to OT for a match. I haven't a great interest in the Olympics and will dip in and out from time to time, more so than usual as its a national event.

I wondered about people's views on this. We have been repeatedly told this is an Olympics for the whole country. Everyone would be involved and benefit. To this end I thought the Torch Relay a wonderful idea. Since Monday though all the commentary, I've only heard the BBC, had been London, London, London to the point I don't want to hear the word again. This was sold as the British Olympics and while it's obvious London is the focus and will be constantly referenced 'British Olympics" should be a part of the commentary

I was utterly shocked by Muhammad Ali's appearance. I knew he was seriously ill but had not appreciated the extent of his difficulties. I feel his presence in such a highly visible role was a huge mistake by the organisers. People know I have a disabled son and would never suggested those with such difficulties should be hidden away but I felt this humiliated a human being and great athlete who appeared to have little if any knowledge of the events around him.

I lack any profound knowledge but does Parkinson's not attack the body rather than the mind? Is it not entirely possible that Ali knew exactly what was going on? Personally I felt he should have appeared in another aspect of the show. His greatness is undeniable but to have him randomly standing up to look at a flag before leaving him perched in a chair in a wide open space as the whole thing moved off left him very exposed.

Just watching the cycle road race...the bbc comentators ain't got a bloody clue who's who.....real amateurish.

Let's stick you behind a race with riders wearing all sorts of different colour jerseys that they probably see once every 4 years and have you try to guess their names. You're a clown, shut up moaning and just don't watch it.

I don't plan to watch much of the Games though I'm really looking forward to the cycling and we may pop down to OT for a match. I haven't a great interest in the Olympics and will dip in and out from time to time, more so than usual as its a national event.

I wondered about people's views on this. We have been repeatedly told this is an Olympics for the whole country. Everyone would be involved and benefit. To this end I thought the Torch Relay a wonderful idea. Since Monday though all the commentary, I've only heard the BBC, had been London, London, London to the point I don't want to hear the word again. This was sold as the British Olympics and while it's obvious London is the focus and will be constantly referenced 'British Olympics" should be a part of the commentary

Got to agree with you on the London thing Paul, it even got a bit 'east end' of London too last night. Why do I want to see Dizee Rascal who's from the east end walk around somewhere he hasn't lived for years?

I also think it was a real shame that our sailors and track athletes where elsewhere too, this was an event they really should have been at.

They do need to work on the athletes procession too, as it is just takes far too long...

I have heard the government wanted Boyle to drop the NHS section, but that could be a joke.

• Backroom

Thought the opening ceremony was fine. Boyle needed to make it 'different' and he certainly succeeded in that. I thought having the creator of the internet there was a very nice touch, considering how the internet has revolutionised the way the world interacts. Could have done without certain parts (Dizzee Rascal being one) but you can't please everybody.

Am not very interested in the games themselves so won't be watching a great deal, just keeping an eye on any big happenings.

Let's stick you behind a race with riders wearing all sorts of different colour jerseys that they probably see once every 4 years and have you try to guess their names. You're a clown, shut up moaning and just don't watch it.

Kiss my arse.

all sorts of different coloured jerseys....?? a bit of homework wouldn't go amiss....like the opening ceremony when they couldn't recognise some of the worlds most famous sportspeople.....I just expect more for my money...perhaps you're a thick twaat who likes being ripped off :)

The construction of the Olympic cauldron (flame) using the copper petals from all the countries was a beautiful and inspired idea.

To have our greatest Olympians literally pass the torch to our future Olympians was a very powerful image.

There was so much in that opening ceremony that bits are still coming to me. Loved Bean on the piano great sketch amongst so many.

Noticeable there were many empty VIP seats during the athlete parade. Very poor impression from the countries who couldn't bother to watch other competitors. Also noticeable there were large gaps in the paying audience by the end.

I've been flicking through all the bbc channels this morning, there's loads of seats empty!! As someone who has trawled through that stupid Olympics website more than enough times it is annoying that a) they've not been for sale or b ) people who've took them can't be bothered to turn up!

Anyway on a better note I watched the opening ceremony backwards due to my sky+ having a wobble. I watched the athletes walking around and was just waiting to see if I could see my friend in the GB team, and here she is :D

7661138460_906ff9e6a0.jpg

Angie is in the water polo team. She's been waiting for years for these Olympics and it is her dream come true to be there. Water Polo isn't a professional sport in GB so she played in France for a while where it is but come back here to train for the Olympics.

.like the opening ceremony when they couldn't recognise some of the worlds most famous sportspeople..

or even countries of the world at times....

I said this in the sporting heroes thread the other day. God only knows what do the organisers thought they were doing. I bloody hope they don't parade him around the boxing venue but I wouldn't put it past em!

Very unimpressed with the BBC commentators.....totally lacking in knowledge of athletes and obviously cannot recognise half of them....disgraceful.

I don't know who was commentating when you made that comment but I guess it was Hugh Porter and Chris Boardman. If It was I suggest you try a quick google.

Considering all the usual info is missing I think they're doing a pretty good job. If it is the BBC supplying the TV pictures the been has a lot to learn about cycle coverage.

Considering all the usual info is missing I think they're doing a pretty good job. If it is the BBC supplying the TV pictures the been has a lot to learn about cycle coverage.

Yeah, the funny thing was listening to it dawning on them that GB weren't even in the race....after 200km of supposed excellent strategy.....useless.

I dont think the cycling coverage is bbc's, I think its a central olympic source. It was the same when I was watching gymnastics this morning, there was no info on the screen and seemingly none available to the commentators either.

Give over.

Give over what ?

Acres of newsprint today on Cavendish and our medal prospects in the race and they weren't anywhere near at the finish.

Still, they've only had 7 years to prepare.

I dont think the cycling coverage is bbc's, I think its a central olympic source. It was the same when I was watching gymnastics this morning, there was no info on the screen and seemingly none available to the commentators either.

Wonderful "outsourcing" at work again probably. Low wages and poor service, typical private sector. G4S anyone ?

Yeah, the funny thing was listening to it dawning on them that GB weren't even in the race....after 200km of supposed excellent strategy.....useless.

Did you watch the World Championship road race last season?, the Tour de France this year? If you clearly have no understanding as to how these events work, why bother commenting?? The British team's best chance of gold was to deliver Cavendish at the finish after dictating the race, which is exactly how they won the world championship last year and gave Cav his win on the Champs Elysee last week. The reason it didn't work was because the entire peloton was focussed on simply beating the British team, not each other. They never helped the British chase any break away and eventually it told. In the end it took a 30 strong group of riders to break the 5 British riders. Disappointing? Yes, but there's no shame in it.

Also, if you tried to commentate on a cycling race of 150 riders without any assistance to help identifying each rider, I doubt you'd do well to pick out which is which, especially when most of the shots are from a helicopter.

I'm unsure if your useless comment relates to the cycling or the commentators, either way it is clear you know very little about the sport.

Archived