BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Olympics 2012

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cavendish and Co nowhere near the 1-2-3....usual hype but no substance. .

Obviously the 1-2-3 fact is correct but the rest of your post betrays ignorance and lack of understanding of the sport. In Froome, Wiggins and Cavendish we have three of the world' s best riders. The records show British cycling has delivered time after time in every competition in recent years topped off by a brilliant TDF win last Sunday - for the over hyped failures of Cavendish and Wiggins.

The race panned out as it did because NONE of the other sprint teams were prepared to share the work on the front of the peloton so destroying their own chances of a medal along with GB's. The Germans (!) were especially guilty of this. Either these teams had no faith in their own sprinters or didn't want to go head to head with Cavendish.

If GB made a mistake, and I grant you they may have done, it was the apparent lack of a Plan B. I said elsewhere Froome should have gone with the breakaway and still think that could have made a big difference

I dont think the cycling coverage is bbc's, I think its a central olympic source. It was the same when I was watching gymnastics this morning, there was no info on the screen and seemingly none available to the commentators either.

From what I've read the cycling was by Olympic Broadcast Services. If that's correct the beeb will be mighty p1ssed off.

Both really...sorry mr superior

You do have a bit of a chip on that shoulder of yours these days........

The poor tv coverage (pictures and timings) was not the fault of the BBC http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/28/bbc-olympic-broadcasting-services-cycling?CMP=twt_gu

Jill Douglas was inexcusable though,and the whole commentary team was not a patch on ITV4

Otherwise team GB where victims of their own recent success and agree with Pauls view of events.

Just watched Brazil in the Women's Beach Volleyball.....very aesthetically pleasing......now am watching South Korea vs USA in the Men's badminton and it's a really good game.....they are all incredibly talented and even impress when lying on the floor......South Korea have just won.....the East-Asians do seem to dominate this sport.

Didn't get to see the cycling but have heard they broke away from Cavendish and co and there wasn't much they could do about it....fair play to the winner from Kazakhstan as I think he had retired a few years ago.

Murray and his brother just got knocked out of the tennis....but I never watch Tennis in the Olympics as I generally prefer sports where the Olympics is the pinnacle in that sport if you get me.

How about the nerve of the likes of Bellamy and Giggs not singing the national anthem despite the fact that the Queen is their Queen every bit as much as she is ours. I'd be much prepared to listen to their objections if the ungrateful little toerags had refused to play in the English leagues all their careers and had chosen on principle to see out their careers in the Welsh Premier League.

Give over what ?

Acres of newsprint today on Cavendish and our medal prospects in the race and they weren't anywhere near at the finish.

Still, they've only had 7 years to prepare.

Wiggins and Froome just finished 1&2 in TDF, a massive achievement, Cavedish won his 4th sprint in Paris too. These guys are world class, yes they didn't get it right today, but to say no substance is ridiculous.

Wiggins and Froome just finished 1&2 in TDF, a massive achievement, Cavedish won his 4th sprint in Paris too. These guys are world class, yes they didn't get it right today, but to say no substance is ridiculous.

Probably plenty of substance I'd guess. :(

fair play to the winner from Kazakhstan as I think he had retired a few years ago.

Sadly not quite such heroics. Vinokourov was banned for doping in 2007 and his whole team, Astana, withdrew from that year's TDF. He returned in 2009, broke his arm in a big TDF crash last year so has done exceptionally well to win today.

Probably plenty of substance I'd guess. :(

They're all clean

• Backroom

The archery was fantastic today, Italy won on the last arrow needing a 9 to tie or a 10 to win and he got it on the line for a 10!

So far watched some archery, a bit of gymnastics, some football, some swimming and some rifle shooting, all great so far

How about the nerve of the likes of Bellamy and Giggs not singing the national anthem despite the fact that the Queen is their Queen every bit as much as she is ours. I'd be much prepared to listen to their objections if the ungrateful little toerags had refused to play in the English leagues all their careers and had chosen on principle to see out their careers in the Welsh Premier League.

That's not how they see it. And they aren't unpatriotic if they didn't play in the Welsh Premier League....unless Beckham, Owen, Lineker, Woodgate etc are as well.

Sadly not quite such heroics. Vinokourov was banned for doping in 2007 and his whole team, Astana, withdrew from that year's TDF. He returned in 2009, broke his arm in a big TDF crash last year so has done exceptionally well to win today.

Ok fair enough I didn't know that....although it's cycling and the chances of a rider being caught cheating at one time or another are pretty high I suppose.

Great race in the swimming then....the Women's relay 400m freestyle I think it was....originally a 3 way battle for 1st between USA, China and Australia with Holland and Britain behind......then a 2 way battle with USA and Australia with the others vying for 3rd.....then Holland step it up and push the Australians all the way with USA in third.

Now back to Women's beach volleyball......Greece vs Switzerland and I like the look of both teams.....and they're not bad at volleyball either.....nice even game so far.......bloody hell that was one of the best rallies I have seen in any sport....Greece to go 7-4 up in the 2nd set....incredible athleticism and tremendous play from both sides.....really getting in to this now.

I always feel the Olympics hasn't truly kicked off until the athletics has but there are plenty of exciting sports to watch such as volleyball, badminton, table tennis, basketball, swimming, boxing and even gymnastics can be good, among others....I even watched part of a handball game before for the first time ever.

Give over what ?

Acres of newsprint today on Cavendish and our medal prospects in the race and they weren't anywhere near at the finish.

Still, they've only had 7 years to prepare.

We have the tour de france 1st and 2nd place winners plus one of the greatest sprinters of all time. Our team is phenomenal. This isn't like Andy Murray not being able to win a grand slam, its like Spain not being able to win the confederations cup.

Every other competitor was trying to prevent Britain from winning a medal, a situation that will not occur in any other event. Its because the British have been so successful in previous competitions, be it the TDF or World Champs, that the rest of the field almost unite in preventing the British from winning. There was very little they could have done.

To see this as simply another overhyped British team is very wide of the mark. The people who follow cycling clearly understand, for those who just like a cheap argument, its a very easy shot.

The archery was fantastic today, Italy won on the last arrow needing a 9 to tie or a 10 to win and he got it on the line for a 10!

So far watched some archery, a bit of gymnastics, some football, some swimming and some rifle shooting, all great so far

I was at the archery at Lords and it was brilliant experience. All the volunteers at the venue were incredibly polite, welcoming and friendly (take note football stewards), and the much hyped 'airport style security' probably added a minute to the entry process.

Once inside, I was very surprised there was an area you could actually have a go at the sport under tuition of local archery club members. Admittedly it was an entry level bow and a target at a matter of yards, but it was great fun... all in front of WG Graces statue!

As for the event itself, it was extremely good fun and remarkably tense. After the first match, I think everyone thought Korea was going to walk it, but some real twists. And that last 6 arrows with Italy winning with the very last shot was wonderfully exciting.

Tomorrow I'm at Judo, Table Tennis & Fencing. If the day is a fraction as entertaining as today, I'll have a whale of a time.

Obviously the 1-2-3 fact is correct but the rest of your post betrays ignorance and lack of understanding of the sport. In Froome, Wiggins and Cavendish we have three of the world' s best riders. The records show British cycling has delivered time after time in every competition in recent years topped off by a brilliant TDF win last Sunday - for the over hyped failures of Cavendish and Wiggins.

Written in your usual condescending tone - you should be careful what you say because you show your ignorance on any number of subjects on here.

British cycling may have "delivered time after time" in recent years but in its first big test in the home Olympics it let the nation down. After the Tour de France people were led to believe we had an excellent chance of a medal in this event and the fact that the team had no response to the tactics of the others teams smacks of amateurism. British cyclists have it all to do in the other events after their pathetic failure to deliver today.

To see this as simply another overhyped British team is very wide of the mark. The people who follow cycling clearly understand, for those who just like a cheap argument, its a very easy shot.

Until they start delivering medals as promised, they are overhyped.

Agree with this. If they are not prepared to sing the British national anthem they should not be wearing the shirt. Absolute disgrace but typical of the Welsh.

Written in your usual condescending tone - you should be careful what you say because you show your ignorance on any number of subjects on here.

British cycling may have "delivered time after time" in recent years but in its first big test in the home Olympics it let the nation down. After the Tour de France people were led to believe we had an excellent chance of a medal in this event and the fact that the team had no response to the tactics of the others teams smacks of amateurism. British cyclists have it all to do in the other events after their pathetic failure to deliver today.

Agree with this. If they are not prepared to sing the British national anthem they should not be wearing the shirt. Absolute disgrace but typical of the Welsh.

The cyclists won 14 medals at the last Olympics including 8 golds....I'm sure they will do fine.....I missed the cycling today but am told they couldn't really have done anything about it....like someone has pointed out it is almost unprecedented how the others ganged up on them like that but it is a mark of the strength of the GB cycling team.....for people who follow cycling, Cavendish and co aren't to blame and it's only the ones who don't quite comprehend what happened that are blaming them.

Even though they are representing Britain, "God save the Queen" isn't these athletes' national anthem....you can call it the British national anthem all you want but that doesn't mean they have to sing it......oh yea and with the Scottish women who didn't sing it, the 4/5th verse references crushing the rebellious Scots or something.....it's a bit ridiculous to think Scottish people should join in with it.

A national anthem is obviously an anthem of a nation.....Britain isn't a nation, it is a collection of nations.....so having England's anthem as the anthem of the whole of Britain shouldn't mean anyone representing Britain has to sing it.

The cyclists won 14 medals at the last Olympics including 8 golds....I'm sure they will do fine.....I missed the cycling today but am told they couldn't really have done anything about it....like someone has pointed out it is almost unprecedented how the others ganged up on them like that but it is a mark of the strength of the GB cycling team.....for people who follow cycling, Cavendish and co aren't to blame and it's only the ones who don't quite comprehend what happened that are blaming them.

Even though they are representing Britain, "God save the Queen" isn't these athletes' national anthem....you can call it the British national anthem all you want but that doesn't mean they have to sing it......oh yea and with the Scottish women who didn't sing it, the 4/5th verse references crushing the rebellious Scots or something.....it's a bit ridiculous to think Scottish people should join in with it.

A national anthem is obviously an anthem of a nation.....Britain isn't a nation, it is a collection of nations.....so having England's anthem as the anthem of the whole of Britain shouldn't mean anyone representing Britain has to sing it.

I "comprehend" perfectly well what happened in the cycling thank you - and Britain blew it. One thing I have learnt though is that the cycling fraternity are very touchy about their heroes and don't like criticism.

For your information God Save the Queen is the national anthem of Great Britain, not England. The Scottish women were representing Great Britain and as just as big a disgrace as Giggs and Co. You claim that Britain is not a nation is news to me and probably the rest of the world too.

I "comprehend" perfectly well what happened in the cycling thank you - and Britain blew it. One thing I have learnt though is that the cycling fraternity are very touchy about their heroes and don't like criticism.

For your information God Save the Queen is the national anthem of Great Britain, not England. The Scottish women were representing Great Britain and as just as big a disgrace as Giggs and Co. You claim that Britain is not a nation is news to me and probably the rest of the world too.

People can take criticism but they are hardly "overhyped" for failing to win one event at the Olympics.....especially after what happened last Olympics or at the Tour de France......and "letting the nation down" is also a bit of an overstatement....if people are expecting the British cyclists to win every event they enter then that is their problem.

It's called the national anthem of Britain but my point is it isn't considered an anthem of Scotland or Wales so why should they sing it? They don't like the Queen as much as the English do or indeed like England in general..they might see themselves as British also but first and foremost, by far, Scottish or Welsh and could only sing their own anthem...calling them a disgrace isn't going to offend them or most other Scottish or Welsh people....at all.

I suppose it's splitting hairs considering whether Great Britain and the United Kingdom are nations but Scotland and Wales consider themselves to be their own nations also and so have their own anthems that they are comfortable singing...for conversations sake if Scotland were the bigger country and Flower of Scotland became the National Anthem of Great Britain, I couldn't imagine many English people singing it.

If an English man or woman hadn't sung the anthem would there be this much fuss in the Daily Mail etc? I doubt it as it's not often I see the England players sing it......I just don't think the English comprehend sometimes how much they are generally disliked by the Scottish or Welsh.....they often want nothing to do with them.....having an anthem praising/glorifying/whatever a monarch that they don't feel any attachment to and even references past history of oppression means that a tiny fraction of Scottish and Welsh people would feel comfortable singing it.

No amount of criticism by the English would change that.

Agree with this. If they are not prepared to sing the British national anthem they should not be wearing the shirt. Absolute disgrace but typical of the Welsh

Typical of the Welsh? What on earth are you on about? You're turning into Thenodrog. Get a grip on yourself old chap

As for Scottish people: they may be aware of the sixth verse of the British National Anthem

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring

May he sedition hush

And like a torrent rush

Rebellious Scots to crush

God save the King"

That's not very nice is it?

People can take criticism but they are hardly "overhyped" for failing to win one event at the Olympics.....especially after what happened last Olympics or at the Tour de France......and "letting the nation down" is also a bit of an overstatement....if people are expecting the British cyclists to win every event they enter then that is their problem. Cavendish was seen as a hot favourite for today's race. Unfortunately he blew it in front of his home crowd at the only Olympics that is likely to take place in this country in his lifetime. That's his big problem.

It's called the national anthem of Britain but my point is it isn't considered an anthem of Scotland or Wales so why should they sing it? They don't like the Queen as much as the English do or indeed like England in general..they might see themselves as British also but first and foremost, by far, Scottish or Welsh and could only sing their own anthem...calling them a disgrace isn't going to offend them or most other Scottish or Welsh people....at all. In my experience alot of English people are ambivalent towards the monarchy, while the Royal family is extremely popular among many Scots. The Scots and Welsh in the Olympic team are representing Great Britain: if they don't feel comfortable with singing the British national anthem they should not be there.

I suppose it's splitting hairs considering whether Great Britain and the United Kingdom are nations but Scotland and Wales consider themselves to be their own nations also and so have their own anthems that they are comfortable singing...for conversations sake if Scotland were the bigger country and Flower of Scotland became the National Anthem of Great Britain, I couldn't imagine many English people singing it. The union of Great Britain was formed in 1707 and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and ireland was formed in 1801. You can read about it in history books if you want to split any more hairs.

If an English man or woman hadn't sung the anthem would there be this much fuss in the Daily Mail etc? I doubt it as it's not often I see the England players sing it......I just don't think the English comprehend sometimes how much they are generally disliked by the Scottish or Welsh.....they often want nothing to do with them.....having an anthem praising/glorifying/whatever a monarch that they don't feel any attachment to and even references past history of oppression means that a tiny fraction of Scottish and Welsh people would feel comfortable singing it. The national anthem snub by the Welsh players was pointed and rude and disrespectful. Personally I've always felt very welcome on holiday in Wales and Scotland - you wouldn't be card-carrying member of the SNP would you ?

[

[The national anthem snub by the Welsh players was pointed and rude and disrespectful

People in glass houses - take note of the number of ENGLISH players who sing the national anthem next time England play.

Typical of the Welsh? What on earth are you on about? You're turning into Thenodrog. Get a grip on yourself old chap

As for Scottish people: they may be aware of the sixth verse of the British National Anthem

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring

May he sedition hush

And like a torrent rush

Rebellious Scots to crush

God save the King"

That's not very nice is it?

Why? If a few men in skirts were threatening the lives and livlihoods of a majority of peace loving then they needed putting in place. Rem it was originally a Roman initiative not an English one. Presumably you would allow the rebellious IRA a free hand to wage war on the nation? How about the rebellious rioters who torched the capital? Pat on the back and include vouchers for strong lager, stone island and a few spliffs in their benefits too?

Scottish / Welsh and even the Irish..... They've had the 'Whats yours is mine and whats mine's my own' attitude since time immemorial. Pick up any phone book and you'll see that there are bloody millions of immigrants sponging off this country. All proud to be a Murphy / Jones / McTavish when it suits and all happy to display a huge chip on both shoulders when it doesn't. No doubt they all think they are doing this nation a service by being here. It wouldn't be very pretty but it's high time we cut the umbilical on the effin lot of em.

You wouldnt believe it would you, but some Americans thought Kenneth Branagh was Lincoln.

American Twitter users who are clearly unfamiliar with Isambard Kingdom Brunel, the man who was responsible for England's Industrial Revolution, thought Branagh was dressed as "Abe Lincoln."

@figgy999 asked: "I am on tape delay. ... Can someone tell me why Kenneth Brannah was playing Abe Lincoln in London?"

People can take criticism but they are hardly "overhyped" for failing to win one event at the Olympics.....especially after what happened last Olympics or at the Tour de France......and "letting the nation down" is also a bit of an overstatement....if people are expecting the British cyclists to win every event they enter then that is their problem.

It's called the national anthem of Britain but my point is it isn't considered an anthem of Scotland or Wales so why should they sing it? They don't like the Queen as much as the English do or indeed like England in general..they might see themselves as British also but first and foremost, by far, Scottish or Welsh and could only sing their own anthem...calling them a disgrace isn't going to offend them or most other Scottish or Welsh people....at all.

I suppose it's splitting hairs considering whether Great Britain and the United Kingdom are nations but Scotland and Wales consider themselves to be their own nations also and so have their own anthems that they are comfortable singing...for conversations sake if Scotland were the bigger country and Flower of Scotland became the National Anthem of Great Britain, I couldn't imagine many English people singing it.

If an English man or woman hadn't sung the anthem would there be this much fuss in the Daily Mail etc? I doubt it as it's not often I see the England players sing it......I just don't think the English comprehend sometimes how much they are generally disliked by the Scottish or Welsh.....they often want nothing to do with them.....having an anthem praising/glorifying/whatever a monarch that they don't feel any attachment to and even references past history of oppression means that a tiny fraction of Scottish and Welsh people would feel comfortable singing it.

No amount of criticism by the English would change that.

Now here is shock, you are embroiled in yet another debate regarding the English. Anyone would think you don’t like us………….

I would suggest as a History student, you go and read a few more books on the history of the Isles and its people; you will then have a far more rounded view of the subject matter. At the moment it seems as though your only knowledge is garnered from Alex “brave heart” Salmon speeches.

Winning the Tour de France and World Championships isn't enough??

If the national anthem was changed, I'd sing it. I'd never sing 'god save the queen' and I'm embarrassed when its played at any major sporting event. Its terrible.

Archived