BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rules?

I think it was a league cup match around 1964, possibly Mike Harrison involved with Fergie. Its all very vague now.

League cup game v (4th Div) Barrow. Recently transferred ex BRFC keeper of long standing Fred Else was in the nets for Barrow and a pen was awarded. Duggy ran up feignted to shoot and instead touched it sideways to an incoming Mike Ferguson who duly scored. BRFC won 4-1 (I think). It was the talk of the town the day after. Not sure but I think it might have been the first one of it's kind.

Words fail me. The last thing we want is creative showmanship on a football field.

You confuse me, you CONSTANTLY go on about Sam Allardyce and how "results over style" should be the ethos.

The penalty hit the net, so why do you care how it got there?

Obviously they don't. Pity.

He wouldn't be offside, its impossible - they would be behind the ball when it was kicked.

Basically it is the same situation as a free kick, the taker can only touch the ball once untill it has come into contact with another player or has gone out of play. If he does then an indirect free kick will be awarded

Didnt something like this happen in the England friendly against Norway when MGP hit the post off a corner and it came back out to him and a free kick was awarded against him when he touched it again?

He wouldn't be offside, its impossible - they would be behind the ball when it was kicked.

Basically it is the same situation as a free kick, the taker can only touch the ball once untill it has come into contact with another player or has gone out of play. If he does then an indirect free kick will be awarded

You may well be correct. Makes sense. For my offence the ref (teecher) said it was cos there were not two opponents between me and the goal line when the ball was last played. It's so obscure that I accepted his explanation.

Extract from the Laws of the Game

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2011_12_en.pdf

Law 14 talks about penalty kicks during play. In that circumstance, it is permissible for the kicker to kick the ball again and score, but only if it has touched another player. The law itself is vague in that it refers to the "goalkeeper" and other "players" in seperate terms. This seems to imply that for the purposes of the Rule, the goalkeeper is not classed as "another player". This means that in normal play, for the kicker to strike the ball a second time to score, it must be deflected by the goalkeeper or the post/crossbar, touch another player, and only then can the original kicker touch it a second time and score. As the other players must remain outside the penalty box and at least 9.15m from the penalty spot, this would be a rare occurrance. However, because the Law foreshadows that the kicker can in fact play the ball again under those limited circumstances (because it is catered for in the law), it is clearly allowed.

The penalty shootout after the end of a drawn game to determine a victor has a different set of guidelines from p.52 of the Law. In that case, because all the other players must remain inside the centre circle, it would be impossible for the ball to touch another player (other than the goalkeeper) to allow the original kicker to tap it in again before the referee calls the end of the play. In addition, the Law refers to the procedure as being "each team has 5 kicks" (i.e. as in singular kicks). I would assume therefore that the penalty shootout is restricted to the single kick, following which the ball is no longer in 'general play', as opposed to a penalty which is taken during the game.

A penalty kick is awarded against a team that commits one of the ten offences

for which a direct free kick is awarded, inside its own penalty area and while

the ball is in play.

A goal may be scored directly from a penalty kick.

Additional time is allowed for a penalty kick to be taken at the end of each half

or at the end of periods of extra time.

Position of the ball and the players

The ball:

• must be placed on the penalty mark

The player taking the penalty kick:

• must be properly identifi ed

The defending goalkeeper:

• must remain on his goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until

the ball has been kicked

The players other than the kicker must be located:

• inside the fi eld of play

• outside the penalty area

• behind the penalty mark

• at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the penalty mark

LAW 14 – THE PENALTY KICK

Procedure

• After the players have taken positions in accordance with this Law, the

referee signals for the penalty kick to be taken

• The player taking the penalty kick must kick the ball forward

• He must not play the ball again until it has touched another player

• The ball is in play when it is kicked and moves forward

When a penalty kick is taken during the normal course of play, or time has

been extended at half-time or full time to allow a penalty kick to be taken or

retaken, a goal is awarded if, before passing between the goalposts and under

the crossbar:

• the ball touches either or both of the goalposts and/or the crossbar and/or

the goalkeeper

The referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed.

Obviously they don't. Pity.

Clearly caught out by your own hypocrisy. It clearly is a pity for you, as you have shown yourself incapable of responding to any of my points. Is this because they have a tendency to expose your pig faced arrogance?

• Backroom

How is Pirlo dinking it down the middle any different than smacking it down the middle?

Hart doesn't dive, he saves it.

Well Young smacked his down the middle :P

League cup game v (4th Div) Barrow. Recently transferred ex BRFC keeper of long standing Fred Else was in the nets for Barrow and a pen was awarded. Duggy ran up feignted to shoot and instead touched it sideways to an incoming Mike Ferguson who duly scored. BRFC won 4-1 (I think). It was the talk of the town the day after. Not sure but I think it might have been the first one of it's kind.

Was it outlawed ? I've never seen it done since.

I actually think it won Italy the tie.

At the time Italy were behind and we would have been feeling confident. Pirlo shows the calmness and ability to do that and totally changed the mindset of the rest of the shootout and think it spooked our lot, Young had to follow and bottled it.

I think that's true - you could see the England players' heads go down. Shows how weak mentally our players are.

• Backroom

Was it outlawed ? I've never seen it done since.

Still allowed, arsenal tried it a few years back but totally messed it up as Henry didn't touch it hard enough for pires (or vice versa)

Also I linked to a Cruyff one on the last page but not sure if that was before or after

Archived