BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nuno Gomes

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put it another way if Kean is hell bent on building a team of Portuguese who would you prefer they looked up to for advice and as a roll model Kean or an ageing proven striker like Gomes-answer is a no brainer!!! I reckon he could do a role too on the field as an impact player got to beat Goodwillie!!!!!!

So Lowe isn't going to be a legend of the game, that doesn't mean he can't be a useful player in the Championship for Rovers this season. If everyone could have players like Pele et al then they would and we'd have no need for the Jason Lowe's of the world. Unfortunately, those talents aren't ten a penny and the ones that are out there won't be fancying Rovers right now, so what are we to do?

Don't disagree but folk should stop overhyping Lowe, he is very, very average.

As for talents not fancying Rovers now, absolutely spot on !!!! I've been banging the drum about this for a long, long time now - when the structure of the club was lost and folk like JW & TF dispensed with, the heart and soul went as well.

and you believe that Miker? In midfield he offers very little, while at full back he's very limitted also.

I'm not sure he's one of the best 50 young footballers in this country, never mind Europe.

Time will tell, I don't see anything particularly special in him personally, but I don't think he's necessarily "overrated" especially because he's not a creative type of player. Hard to judge him last season, but I often felt he brought a lot of energy and spirit into the side whenever he played, which was severely lacking from a lot of other players.

Christ he definitely shouldn't be on that list, some fantastic young players on there!

Agreed. But Kean obviously rates him highly as you can tell in the Allardyce video haha. And doesn't someone in the Academy mention him when they were talking about Phil Jones? The one we used to prove Kean didn't discover Jones? They might have just seen things that we have yet to.

He has played at full back which I imagine he isn't very used to and received no protection from the winger......or in defensive midfield where he is instructed to back off, not close anyone down, and generally just do nothing defensively it would seem.......I think he will turn out to be a good player in the future......the world class players, or near enough, look amazing at his age but with most they take time to develop and experience is key.

As for that list, us, along with Palermo, Man United, Schalke, Borussia Monchengladbach, Real Sociedad, Bilbao, Roma, Sochaux and Arsenal are the ones to have 2 players on the list......although one of Utd's is Phil Jones so apparently, 3 out of the top 50 youngsters in the top 5 leagues in Europe came from our academy.

Can`t see why Lowe doesn`t deserve to be on that list,after all not only was he the England U20 captain and now a regular in the U21 setup but he was also blooded in our team under the worse possible circumstances (Kean) .I don`t know but sometimes you wonder if their isn`t a law that has been passed where nobody anywhere other than Kean is allowed to be positive about the club or players.

So where looking at in terms of likely departures and already gone - Yak, Junior, Robinson, N'zonzi, Ollson, Givet and Formica. New arrivals - Murphy, Gomes, Best, Silva and Nunes.

Therefore a likely team of;

Bunn

Henley

Hanley

Dann

Orr

Pedersen

Murphy

Lowe

Silva

Best

Goodwillie

Players most likely to be amongst 7 subs- Kean, Nunes, Gomes, Dunn, Henley, Rochina, Vuckevic, Petrovic, Marcus Ollson, Morris

So one proper back up defender, a hat full of midfielders again, and not really any true goal scorer, bar Rochina (who is capable) but probably won't play enough games.

Can this team realistically finish in the top 6?

So where looking at in terms of likely departures and already gone - Yak, Junior, Robinson, N'zonzi, Ollson, Givet and Formica. New arrivals - Murphy, Gomes, Best, Silva and Nunes.

Therefore a likely team of;

Bunn

Henley

Hanley

Dann

Orr

Pedersen

Murphy

Lowe

Silva

Best

Goodwillie

Players most likely to be amongst 7 subs- Kean, Nunes, Gomes, Dunn, Henley, Rochina, Vuckevic, Petrovic, Marcus Ollson, Morris

So one proper back up defender, a hat full of midfielders again, and not really any true goal scorer, bar Rochina (who is capable) but probably won't play enough games.

Can this team realistically finish in the top 6?

NO in short because it doesnt have the pace or the clinical finishing within the team. Plus the lack of pace will present the opposition with more opportunities to score against us and be very afraid at corners if you've got Jason Lowe and Scott Dann in the same area as both have shown to struggle with their heading ability .

I don't buy the coach thing. There seems to be a common misconception that any player with pedigree who's getting on a bit, will make a good coach. Yes, some players you look at and think they might make a decent coach, but i'm afraid this one smacks of 'final payday syndrome'. I'm gob smacked that we are likely to sign this bloke. I hope i am made to eat my words, but i just can't see how he can possibly be a success for us at this level.

and you believe that Miker? In midfield he offers very little, while at full back he's very limitted also.

I'm not sure he's one of the best 50 young footballers in this country, never mind Europe.

Name 10 better 20 year old midfielders in the country? Now name 5 who would still be at Rovers in the Championship. I bet you can't

can someone tell me what kind of players is Gomes? Fox in the box or target man? I cannot really recall too much about his playing style.

Name 10 better 20 year old midfielders in the country? Now name 5 who would still be at Rovers in the Championship. I bet you can't

can someone tell me what kind of players is Gomes? Fox in the box or target man? I cannot really recall too much about his playing style.

Was poacher about 10 years ago, much too small to be a target man. No idea about him recently.

Hes 36 years of age come this thursday so what else do we need to know other than lets hope he doesnt come here for his last paycheck.

I'd play with that squad:

Bunn

Orr Dann (for now) Hanley Henley

Vukcevic Murphy Silva Nunes

Best Rochina

Subs: Kean, New CB, Morris, Petrovic, Marcus Olsson, Goodwillie, Nuno Gomes

A lot of games though so would alternate quite a bit.......still have Lowe, Dunn and others in squad......team could be shuffled accordingly with Rochina and Vukcevic being able to play in other positions......would be optimistic with a half decent manager.

I spoke to a couple of Sporting Lisbon fans today by chance and they really like that Adrien Silva, they both want him to stay. But it was only briefly in a queue so didn't talk much....not getting my hopes up about him though.

Archived