BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nuno Gomes

If he was coming for cheap some people would be like "10 grand a week!.....he can't be good if he only wants that much......shocking signing!"

Eddie's post makes some good points.......we spend all year moaning about the lack of experience in our squad, then sign a 36 year old who according to statistics was one of the top creators of chances last season and a 35 year old with Champions League experience and 79 caps for Portugal and they're "has-beens".

A valid point worth reiterating is getting players in early might persuade others to stay eg the likes of Vukcevic, Formica and Rochina.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep it up Mercerman, quite amusing.

Lol - sorry to either bore or amuse you but sieves in a colander come to mind re 'noise' about Rovers' transfer business at the moment. Seems like still not all singing off same hymn sheet.

Anyhow, off for a short break now and hoping that sun breaks through !

From what I am told Gomes won't be on huge wages but still surprised at 2 year deal.

Is it a done deal yet ? we will get confirmation today?

was'nt that long ago that you'd say 3 out of every 4 players we signed where either bargains or belters with the 1 injury prone/nothing special. The ratio must be 1 decent one in 9 these days horrible signing never been a good goalscorer why sign players who's legs have gone, no sense at all outside of making money for agents.

Great player, 10 years ago. What happened to the youth policy? I think it"s at the back where we should be buying experience. We should be bracing ourselves for several high profile departures I reckon judging by the people coming in.

Very poor signing if it comes off definitely not the way forward

i think its only fair to judge him after you've seen him play , could be a Cowans or Hughes , or another Robbie Fowler , what i've learn't with Rovers recently if you lower your expectations you wont be disappointed too often

Average signing, wont be a starter. Think we will start the season with Best upfront as the lone striker.

That's what i think to be honest, think i mentioned earlier in this thread that i reckon it will be one up front and Dunn playing just off the forward.

That's what i think to be honest, think i mentioned earlier in this thread that i reckon it will be one up front and Dunn playing just off the forward.

I can see that happening, then play murphy and silva in the centre with Lowe, then with Petrovic as defensive midfielder.

i think its only fair to judge him after you've seen him play , could be a Cowans or Hughes , or another Robbie Fowler , what i've learn't with Rovers recently if you lower your expectations you wont be disappointed too often

He'll be great fodder for the experienced championship players everywhere to raise their game and completely dominate him.

I can see that happening, then play murphy and silva in the centre with Lowe, then with Petrovic as defensive midfielder.

Do you think we'll gave a good chance of staying up then.

He'll be great fodder for the experienced championship players everywhere to raise their game and completely dominate him.

Do you think we'll gave a good chance of staying up then.

With the squad we have at present, would easily get into the playoffs, even with depatures we should still be able to gain promotion aslong as we get some new players in. My only concern is HIM.

I'd play with that squad:

Bunn

Orr Dann (for now) Hanley Henley

Vukcevic Murphy Silva Nunes

Best Rochina

Subs: Kean, New CB, Morris, Petrovic, Marcus Olsson, Goodwillie, Nuno Gomes

A lot of games though so would alternate quite a bit.......still have Lowe, Dunn and others in squad......team could be shuffled accordingly with Rochina and Vukcevic being able to play in other positions......would be optimistic with a half decent manager.

I spoke to a couple of Sporting Lisbon fans today by chance and they really like that Adrien Silva, they both want him to stay. But it was only briefly in a queue so didn't talk much....not getting my hopes up about him though.

I would expert us to go 451 or 4231. Murphy will need bodies around him in the championship

I would expert us to go 451 or 4231. Murphy will need bodies around him in the championship

I didn't indicate it there but Rochina will be playing off Best and often dropping back into the midfield.

Reposted from another thread regarding Nuno Gomes - Players are usually hesitant to sign a 1 year deal, even older ones. He's coming to another country, with all that entails, and he might have a family so I don't think he would sign a 1 year deal. If his fitness doesn't allow him to play the other year and am I correct in thinking that when that happens there is just a mutual cancellation of the contract?

I didn't indicate it ther but Rochina will be playing off Best and often dropping back into the midfield.

Reposted from another thread regarding Nuno Gomes - Players are usually hesitant to sign a 1 year deal, even older ones. He's coming to another country, with all that entails, and he might have a family so I don't think he would sign a 1 year deal. If his fitness doesn't allow him to play the other year and am I correct in thinking that when that happens there is just a mutual cancellation of the contract?

Surely depends on the contract.

It's not unusual to be signing 1 year extensions with mid 30s players. Friedel did it for several years, as did Tugay.

Pleased with this signing. Another legend will be donning the famous blue and white halves. Regardless of age, he is a goalscorer. I still expect a proven championship striker to be signed as well. Suspect gomes will be used mainly as a sub, but what a great sub to have.

Pleased with this signing. Another legend will be donning the famous blue and white halves. Regardless of age, he is a goalscorer.

Why am I reminded of Robbie Fowler?

Wow! Whats going on at Rovers this season? Earlier it took ages to negotiate any transfer and now everyone is signing in a jiffy. Pretty decent addition to the squad. Cant do any worse than goodwillie, can he? Will sell a few shirts, though!

Erm, well what's happening is we are selling our good players, and re-assigning their wages to people who can't get those terms anywhere else. Effectively having to pay more than the going rate to persuade anyone to sign.

If Gomes, as previously stated by others, is signed as a squad player, then it is a very decent addition to the squad. He's scored goals at the highest levels, and can do well as a sub/impact player.

However, whose idea was it to offer a 35 year old a 2 year contract? Absolute madness.

Surely depends on the contract.

It's not unusual to be signing 1 year extensions with mid 30s players. Friedel did it for several years, as did Tugay.

I agree but my point was about moving to another country and he might not see it as worth it if it's just a 1 year deal. Friedel and Tugay already lived here.

Archived