BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nuno Gomes

Unfortunately the team will be set up by the tactical cancer that is the Cumbernauld Cruyff, meaning they will be so exposed that the will be pumped week in week out. Anyone of these "experienced" players that questions the great bald genius will suffer mysterious injurys and be banished to the back fields of Brockhall.

Until we are rid of this gobshyte and the chicken barons it would not matter if we put the Spain team out in the famous blue and white as bollok chops would find a way to impose his tactical genius to make them play like a shyte pub team.

well said, although even he would find it hard to balls up Spain, most of them can play anywhere, even Casillas passes better than our midfield

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This signing is just bizarre, why the hell has former Prtugal international Gomez signed for a championship club that’s just been relegated, instead of seeing out is days in the sun playing for a side in the Portuguese league?

Either he’s been badly advised or we’re paying him mega money.

This signing is just bizarre, why the hell has former Prtugal international Gomez signed for a championship club that’s just been relegated, instead of seeing out is days in the sun playing for a side in the Portuguese league?

Either he’s been badly advised or we’re paying him mega money.

Big money i'd guess, for 2 years no less. Reeks of Steve Keans incompetence.

Classy player 10-15 years ago, i just dont see what he's going to do in the championship.

It reminds me of playing football manager, you look on the free list, see who's available and you see an old favourite player and just go straight for signing regardless of what else is out there.

10-15 years ago? He was in his prime about 5/6 years ago. By all accounts he has still been useful at Braga and you would expect that he will still offer something from the bench for us. He's not going to be the crucial signing of the summer and he's not going to be the difference maker next year, but he could well contribute and become a valuable member of the squad. He was never reliant on pace and seems to have kept himself fit, he wouldn't be the first player well into his 30's to contribute to a team.

10-15 years ago? He was in his prime about 5/6 years ago. By all accounts he has still been useful at Braga and you would expect that he will still offer something from the bench for us. He's not going to be the crucial signing of the summer and he's not going to be the difference maker next year, but he could well contribute and become a valuable member of the squad. He was never reliant on pace and seems to have kept himself fit, he wouldn't be the first player well into his 30's to contribute to a team.

No way will the guy be coming to Rovers to warm the bench, I have been trying to figure out Keans formation with his purchases to date, I cant, which means we will be a disorganised outfit again this year, and as at Fulham, Coventry and Rovers last year, a very uinfit group of players!!

Says alot about how we regard Baldie.

If Big Sam signed Gomes, I bet we would all be excited about it because we believe that Sam would be able to restore the guy and wring some good performances of yester-year out of him. Sam would also be able to keep the lad in shape.

Unfortunately, under the imposter, I feel no such excitement. I would be pleasantly surprised if he turned out to be a hit, but I am not optimistic.

Says alot about how we regard Baldie.

If Big Sam signed Gomes, I bet we would all be excited about it because we believe that Sam would be able to restore the guy and wring some good performances of yester-year out of him. Sam would also be able to keep the lad in shape.

Unfortunately, under the imposter, I feel no such excitement. I would be pleasantly surprised if he turned out to be a hit, but I am not optimistic.

He's more likely to get fat and play in goal than be revelation under this clown

ROLFMAO, now we're going to win games, we've signed a couple of players.

Pray tell with Jones, Jones, RSC and everyone else in his first season did he not beat our 40 year record worst run record?

This is what competent people call performance data. They use it to evaluate an employee's performance. From the data gleaned from the league table, Kean has not performed even when given big money (January, 2011 and balance of that season).

Of course, it appears that Venkys don't care about Kean's performance. Which is why there is a ripe stench coming from the Rovers and why most fans with sense believe Kean/Venkys will fail (again) to win promotion.

By all accounts he has still been useful at Braga and you would expect that he will still offer something from the bench for us.

Under a competent manager, I would agree. I don't agree that he'll be as useful with Kean as manager.

A good club can suffer a decade of misery with just a few expensive failures in just a few months. Best on £35k pw for 4 years....in the championship! Parachute money halved after 2 years and gone in 4. It's like watching a feckin car crash.

A good club can suffer a decade of misery with just a few expensive failures in just a few months. Best on £35k pw for 4 years....in the championship! Parachute money halved after 2 years and gone in 4. It's like watching a feckin car crash.

Looks like they are going s*** or bust for this season. If it fails as it likely will then i would fully expect admin or a quick sale at the end of the season.

For what is worth, Nuno Gomes is very happy to play in England and is ready to help the team to get to Premier League (his words, I hope so too but highly doubt it)

One of the reasons he chose to go to England was that age is not important there while here a player is always considered old after he turns 31...

People need to give new players a chance. I remember some of the twerps who said if Yakubu was our star signing then that's poor.

Nuno Gomes might be on the old side but if he can contribute what Mark Hughes did (who was older!) then why not?

Exactly, Yakubu got hammered in his thread last year, and he turned in a great signing.

Gomes will be ok i think, although i can't see him starting that many games.

As my nickname indicates, I am an avid Benfica fan and I followed most of Nuno Gomes' career so I think I can help you out with his game.

Most of you talked about him as an experienced poacher but he hasn't been that kind of player since he returned to Benfica 10 years ago. The player you remember from Euro 2000 is not what you'll see at Ewood Park.

Nuno Gomes has an impressive football IQ and, since he's lost his pace and isn't a prolific finisher, he reinvented his game.

He sure knows how to appear in the right places and he still scores a lot of goals because he's smart enough to create a lot of chances, but he also misses a lot, so you'll probably have to be patient. His goals per minute ratio in the last years is quite impressive nonetheless.

But what I wanted to tell you is that he's grown as a second forward. Due to his high IQ, he is more effective when he plays with another striker. Leave him alone upfront and he will probably suck.

He is the arguably the best forward of the last few years in "back-to-the goal" situations but he can't be left alone.

Regarding to his salary/motivation/commitment... don't worry. He is one of the greatest characters my club has produced in the recent years and I can't wait to have him back to work in the club. He would never take this contract for money, and he had more lucrative options. He signed with Blackburn because he always had the dream of playing the Premier League and I can assure you he'll do his best to be there next season.

As my nickname indicates, I am an avid Benfica fan and I followed most of Nuno Gomes' career so I think I can help you out with his game.

Most of you talked about him as an experienced poacher but he hasn't been that kind of player since he returned to Benfica 10 years ago. The player you remember from Euro 2000 is not what you'll see at Ewood Park.

Nuno Gomes has an impressive football IQ and, since he's lost his pace and isn't a prolific finisher, he reinvented his game.

He sure knows how to appear in the right places and he still scores a lot of goals because he's smart enough to create a lot of chances, but he also misses a lot, so you'll probably have to be patient. His goals per minute ratio in the last years is quite impressive nonetheless.

But what I wanted to tell you is that he's grown as a second forward. Due to his high IQ, he is more effective when he plays with another striker. Leave him alone upfront and he will probably suck.

He is the arguably the best forward of the last few years in "back-to-the goal" situations but he can't be left alone.

Regarding to his salary/motivation/commitment... don't worry. He is one of the greatest characters my club has produced in the recent years and I can't wait to have him back to work in the club. He would never take this contract for money, and he had more lucrative options. He signed with Blackburn because he always had the dream of playing the Premier League and I can assure you he'll do his best to be there next season.

Really doesn't matter how hard he works - Kean is our manager and he's useless. If Gomes disagrees with him at all he'll find himself benched. If he thinks he's coming here to get promoted I hope he's well prepared for disappointment

Don't get me wrong. He is not going to Rovers to be promoted, he is going to help the Rovers be promoted. Trust me, he's been in my club forever. He only wants a dignifying end for his career, and help to get Blackburn back where it belongs and saying goodbye in the Premier League is probably what he is pursuing.

Benfica manager decided to not renew his contract one year ago and that was really unpopular with the supporters because everyone saw him end his career in a Benfica shirt.

In one of his last goals, he cried http://youtu.be/IlJEorMXoAY?hd=1&t=2m25s

Since then I think he is trying to dignify is career, proving he is useful, instead of accepting some Arab money to play in Qatar. He went to Braga with the dream of saying goodbye with Portugal in Euro 2012 and he fought really hard to be called, but he wasn't. I think he choose Blackburn because he thought it was the challenge he needed to end his career well.

It's not really a chalenge he can hope to win though while Kean is in charge. You obviously don't understand what is going on at our club - our manager is so utterly useless that you could bring the entire Portugal squad to our club, including ronaldo, and we still wouldn't get promoted.

A couple of great posts BenficaFan, and welcome.

Sadly, the word "dignity" has been banded about a lot at Ewood these past 18 months, and it looks nothing like they word you'd find in a dictionary.

You only have to look at the way the infestation that administers our club treated a world-renowned legend of the game (Michel Salgado) to see that Nuno is taking a gamble. I hope he does not suffer the same indignity.

Yeah thank you BenficaFan, it's useful to get a better understanding of a player. It's always good to know the character of a player. Seems like in Murphy and Gomes we now have a couple of senior, experienced players that really don't fit into the philosophy of last season, which was to favour youth who are so glad of the game time that they won't confront Coco.

It'll be interesting to see how this move towards some, imo, much needed experience at the club entails.

Excellent information.

Gomes sounds like the type of player whose shirt I would buy. Unfortunately, I won't. Not until Kean is kicked out of the club.

Archived