SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Robbo To Turkey

Baz

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful :wacko:

Robinson was the latest in a line of very good goalkeepers for Rovers and seemed a good lad too who had an affinity with the club and supporters. I'll be sorry to see him leave. Bunn is unproven and is without doubt on a lower level than Robinson - perfect for our new status as a second tier club.

Don't agree with this. Bunn looks good to me.

I would love to read input from those who have watched Bunn regularly at reserve and cup matches. Most people, including me, want Bunn to be No1 based on his performance against Liverpool. One game is not enough to judge a player, especially a goalkeeper. Perhaps users who watch rover reserve games can tell us how he is over a prolonged period of time

Despite some rather poor stats last season he is still better than half of the keepers in the prem.

If he stays it's massive. It's important to have people who care.

Do the stats reflect that the defence frequently let unmarked opposition players take pot shots from the edge the box, often scoring key goals in the last 10min.

The defence (including midfield players0 was the worst in the league, any keeper with such a defence would have poor stats.

Bunn is an average championship keeper. Is that good enough

Whilst obviously Bunn displayed man of the match performances in those two games, it would be foolish to completely base his credentials as a very good keeper on those two performances alone.

I would say its more important to judge him on how he would perform away to doncaster on a tuesday night and over 10-15 game period.

I may well be alone on this one but I really don't think we'd miss Robbo. His heart's in the right place and all that but, Alan Fettis aside, I've never seen so many weaknesses in a goalkeeper at Rovers.

Out of our first choice keepers over the years he's definitely in the bottom two for me. I don't think we'll miss him that much. I'd rather give Bunn a go.

You're not alone there a quite a few who don't really rate him that highly. Imo, he has always been sketchy from crosses as he doesn't often come off his line and command his area enough, he's suspect from long shots, not agile to get down to low shots and he often just punts it upfield to noone in particular. He is good at reflex saves above the waist however. I would easily put him in the bottom half of keepers who were in the premier league last season after Friedel, Given, Vorm, Krul, Hart, Cech, Scharwzer, De Gea, Foster, Howard, Jasskalinen, Reina, Mignolet and Al Habsi.....which is 14 keepers who I would argue are better.....he's about on par with keepers like Sorensen and Hennessey......some say that Norwich keeper Ruddy is good but my biggest memory of him is dropping crosses when we played them away.

Using Bunn's performances, however impressive, against Utd and Liverpool are probably not enough justification to argue he is a better keeper but I'm confident after a run in the team he would consistently perform better....if not Jake Kean played ok against Chelsea and Huddersfield fans rate him highly.

Bunn looked far from an average Championship goalkeeper away at Anfield and Old Trafford las season.

I think he could be a very good keeper given a run in the team.

McEverly (sp) looked a world beater against manu several yeras ago.

I may well be alone on this one but I really don't think we'd miss Robbo. His heart's in the right place and all that but, Alan Fettis aside, I've never seen so many weaknesses in a goalkeeper at Rovers.

Mimms

Flowers

Filan

Fettis

Kelly

Friedel

Robinson?

Out of our first choice keepers over the years he's definitely in the bottom two for me. I don't think we'll miss him that much. I'd rather give Bunn a go.

He's better than Fettis, Kelly and Mimms. He's not better than Friedel, Flowers, or Filan (when he was with us...let's not forget, most of us were highly confused why we signed Friedel at the time). So somewhere in the middle of our keeping options in the Prem era. However, this doesn't matter, we can only assess him based on what's good enough for us now (and let's not forget we're in the Championship). Given his wage and the young, talented keepers behind him, I'd feel inclined to let him go at a couple million, personally. Poor last season. Suspect positionally. Somebody said the defenders let the opposition take pot shots from the edge of the area, but those are the type a good keeper should be handling far more than Robbo does. It's the clear cut chances you expect to go in, not the pot shots from distance. Robbo's save ratio was unforgiveable.

Swedish media claims Besiktas have gone for keeper Andreas Isaksson instead of Robbo, mainly due to him being cheaper (out of contract at PSV.) I guess this means Robbo is back to square one in his search for a new club...

Turns out Swedish media was wrong, as Isaksson signed for another Turkish club (Kasimpasa) this afternoon. Robbo to Besiktas might still be on.

Whilst obviously Bunn displayed man of the match performances in those two games, it would be foolish to completely base his credentials as a very good keeper on those two performances alone.

I would say its more important to judge him on how he would perform away to doncaster on a tuesday night and over 10-15 game period.

Completely agree.

Bunn had a couple of fantastic games for the first team last year, but make no mistake, he's nowhere near consistent enough at this stage of his career.

Over 10-15 games, he would have as many stinkers as great games.

If he was consistently good, he wouldn't be warming the bench for a relegated side.

Robbo is a very, very good goalkeeper and second only to Brad in my opinion.

Flowers was excellent, but he would have conceded more than Robbo did last season behind that defence and (lack of) tactical organisation.

Bunn had a couple of fantastic games for the first team last year, but make no mistake, he's nowhere near consistent enough at this stage of his career.

Over 10-15 games, he would have as many stinkers as great games.

If he was consistently good, he wouldn't be warming the bench for a relegated side.

This is a flawed argument. He has been consistently good when he's been given the chance. There's no proof that he would have that many stinkers (and I feel Robinson had as many stinkers as great games this year). It's very apparent that the only reason Bunn was dropped by our (tactically inept, I might add) manager is that he wanted to rely on Robinson's experience at the top level. On form alone, there's no way Bunn would have been dropped, that's very obvious. So you can't use the fact he was as evidence he isn't good enough.

Robinson walked straight back into the team because the "manager" wanted to keep the main men onside in a season of heavy bombardment from the fans .I really couldn't care less if robinson goes , in what i saw of bunn he looks more than capable of filling the role. Now if robinson had backed the manager and still performed the same ,would there be anyone who would object to his "impending " transfer ?

Robbo is a very, very good goalkeeper and second only to Brad in my opinion.

Flowers was excellent, but he would have conceded more than Robbo did last season behind that defence and (lack of) tactical organisation.

probably the most stupid oipinion I've ever read on this forum, friedel, flowers, given and filan are all a country mile ahead of robinson in a rovers shirt

Ask any defender, the Centre backs and Keeper work as a unit, they position themselves in the knowledge that the Keeper and centre backs know what each other are doing, now, as a keeper, you set your starting point correctly and then, due to lack of cover, one of the Centre backs gets dragged out of position, the other centre back responds and from that moment, the keeper is unsure of his position, when to come for a ball or stay on his line becomes indecisive and thus you get caught out of position, couple this with the fact that under Kean, Robbo was a stone heavier than under Sam, we can see where the problem lies, with a good back four, protected by a decent midfield and greater fitness levels, Robbo would be very good keeper in most teams!

• Backroom

Surely he has to take a lot of the blame for his finess levels, sure training has a lot to do with it but he must be ill disciplined to put on the weight

Archived