BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brsit Spam Emails

As the Supporters Trust thread is in danger of being diverted by the BRSIT spam email discussion I thought a new thread was appropriate.

Perhaps a mod can move the other posts in here?

For anyone in doubt I have irrefutible proof BRSIT have used the onerovers mailing list to send spam email to me, and presumably everyone else who has given details to the onerovers site.

This is very simple. Following the "update subscription preferences" the link shows the email address and real name of the individual the email was sent to. In my case the real name is my son's. He is incapable of using a website and I registered his ST details using my personal email address. There is no possibility I have given my son's real name to BRSIT.

The mailing list is held by WEC as this is the unsubscribe address.

There has been a breach of the Data Protection Act by one or all of Rovers, WEC or BRSIT.

WEC as a club sponsor may or may not be within its rights to request this information from the club for marketing purposes.

In some way this mailing list has been passed to BRSIT who now hold the personal details of some or all season ticket holders. The extent of the information is unknown but presumably could extend to those who registered with the club to purchase match tickets and merchandise etc. from the club?

As far as I am aware the only public link between Rovers, WEC and BRSIT is Wayne Wild. From this I might conclude:

WEC as a sponsor are not above supplying personal details of individuals to other organisations

BRSIT as an organisation is prepared to solicit information it is not entitled to. I'm glad I haven't pledged to BRSIT, who knows what will happen with that data?

Wayne Wild is a clear link between WEC and BRSIT and one has to ask if this breach of the Data Protection Act is known to or sanctioned by him and/or WEC?

I've had my doubts about many things surrounding a number of "fans" organisations, in the broadest sense, for sometime. This is the second piece of direct evidence which confirms to me my scepticism is well founded. .

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I received he email yesterday and was very angry as I knew I had not in any way registered interest in BRSIT. I've said on here that there was no way I would pledge money or support to the group and no longer generally use the email address it was sent to, though I do check it as sometimes I haven't given friends my more recent address. Who has supplied the list and what can and should be done?

Previously I'd read this e-mail from BRSIT on my phone which shows the recipient as my real name, which is a function of the settings on my iPhone. I've just re-read the email on my laptop and the e-mail is clearly addressed to my son.

There is no doubt the original source of this mailing list is Blackburn Rovers FC. I shall be contacting the club,WEC and BRSIT for their explanations of this breach of the Data Protection Act

I am very confused:

-this is BRFCS

-99% of supporters are against Keano and Venkys

-ergo Supporters must be anxious for action and a sale of the Club?

-BRSIT is the only transparent option

-somehow the mailing list of Venkys Rovers key customers fall into their hands

- and they decide to use it

AND then true supporters(and well known posters) on BRFCS object to this direct method. WOW!

And post at 0527 in the morning.

This thread says more about the posters than it does about the pro-active measures taken by BRSIT to save the Club.

• Backroom

You have to wonder if this will ultimately cost someone their job

As for BRSIT I have believed ever since the tweets about rival bidders that Ww being at the helm may hinder the trust and still feel the same, the lack of professionalism shone like a beacon then, this is abother mistake that has been highlighted on social media and may point in that direction

I am very confused:

-this is BRFCS

AND then true supporters(and well known posters) on BRFCS object to this direct method. WOW!

This thread says more about the posters than it does about the pro-active measures taken by BRSIT to save the Club.

Since I don't and never have believed that BRSIT is in any way shape or form an option, does that mean that I, as a genuine supporter of BRFC, can complain that there has been misuse of data by someone. Yes, I want rid of Kean, Venkys etc but that does not involve wanting the law to be broken. How can anyone take the moral highground re venkys, Kean etc if their own tactics involve a breach of the law.

I am very confused:

-this is BRFCS

Agreed.

How do you know BRSIT is transparent? It is now in the public domain, to use your words, "somehow the mailing list of Venkys Rovers key customers fall into their hands" that BRSIT is prepared to "somehow" obtain personal data relating to ST holders. The source of this data is not just names and e-mail addresses, it will include, real address, credit card details, bank details etc. I do not wish to scaremonger and I hope all that has been released is e-mail and names BUT IF this is leaked information it has to be a concern.

If it is information provided by Rovers to WEC there has to be a serious question as to why WEC find it appropriate to pass this information to BRSIT.

I object to my and my personal details being released to a third party by an organisation that holds my bank and credit card details. Presumably you don't object to this?

If you read this MB regularly you'll find I often post in the early morning. I'm one of those people who only need 5-6 hours sleep. OK? As for the rest of the quote? Not worth a remark. I'm not a BRSIT supporter and they have no right to obtain or use my details. A part of the issue for me is the involvement of WEC and other possible connections which are not transparent toghether with Wayne Wild's role in all of this.

WW has on a number of occassions reacted badly, in public, to others who show an interest in saving / helping Rovers. I have to question why this is. For me it casts a shadow over his involvement which is partly why I do not support BRSIT.

This is the only time in 30 years of being an ST holder I have received unsolicited thrid party email.

I have a friend who works for the Data Commisioner but I am away for 2 weeks now. My suggestion would to be phone their offices and explain the situation if people really believe that somebody has abused their data protection rights.

Data Protection is very important, who knows who else has your personal information, or what they could do with it.

This is very unfortunate for BRSIT, assuming they have not obtained the names in a legal fashion, ie when registering for OneRovers there may well have been an option to tick/unstick/not tick as with many websites that allows your data to be passed to third parties.

As the Supporters Trust thread is in danger of being diverted by the BRSIT spam email discussion I thought a new thread was appropriate.

Perhaps a mod can move the other posts in here?

For anyone in doubt I have irrefutible proof BRSIT have used the onerovers mailing list to send spam email to me, and presumably everyone else who has given details to the onerovers site.

This is very simple. Following the "update subscription preferences" the link shows the email address and real name of the individual the email was sent to. In my case the real name is my son's. He is incapable of using a website and I registered his ST details using my personal email address. There is no possibility I have given my son's real name to BRSIT.

The mailing list is held by WEC as this is the unsubscribe address.

There has been a breach of the Data Protection Act by one or all of Rovers, WEC or BRSIT.

WEC as a club sponsor may or may not be within its rights to request this information from the club for marketing purposes.

In some way this mailing list has been passed to BRSIT who now hold the personal details of some or all season ticket holders. The extent of the information is unknown but presumably could extend to those who registered with the club to purchase match tickets and merchandise etc. from the club?

As far as I am aware the only public link between Rovers, WEC and BRSIT is Wayne Wild. From this I might conclude:

WEC as a sponsor are not above supplying personal details of individuals to other organisations

BRSIT as an organisation is prepared to solicit information it is not entitled to. I'm glad I haven't pledged to BRSIT, who knows what will happen with that data?

Wayne Wild is a clear link between WEC and BRSIT and one has to ask if this breach of the Data Protection Act is known to or sanctioned by him and/or WEC?

I've had my doubts about many things surrounding a number of "fans" organisations, in the broadest sense, for sometime. This is the second piece of direct evidence which confirms to me my scepticism is well founded. .

So what? I think u need to get a grip. You received an e-mail. Press delete or spam it with the ones telling you have won a million pounds or how to enlarge your ****.

I have a friend who works for the Data Commisioner but I am away for 2 weeks now. My suggestion would to be phone their offices and explain the situation if people really believe that somebody has abused their data protection rights.

Data Protection is very important, who knows who else has your personal information, or what they could do with it.

This is very unfortunate for BRSIT, assuming they have not obtained the names in a legal fashion, ie when registering for OneRovers there may well have been an option to tick/unstick/not tick as with many websites that allows your data to be passed to third parties.

I guess the issue may be who from Ewood released this information (intentionally or unintentional). I expect someone at Rovers will be going through a squeaky bum time for the next couple of weeks.

So what? I think u need to get a grip. You received an e-mail. Press delete or spam it with the ones telling you have won a million pounds or how to enlarge your ****.

Did you read what Paul has written....? Rovers hold our bank account details.

Im also concerned that it appears Mr Wild has taken property of WEC group, and used it for his own private purposes. I'm sure WEC won't be happy with that either.

I think a full public apology is required as a minimum here.

Did you read what Paul has written....? Rovers hold our bank account details.

Im also concerned that it appears Mr Wild has taken property of WEC group, and used it for his own private purposes. I'm sure WEC won't be happy with that either.

I think a full public apology is required as a minimum here.

And the panic sets in. Well done Paul. In other news it's the end of the world tomorrow.

As I put on the Rovers Supporters Trust thread - and apologies for using the wrong thread - I think this can have done nothing but harm to the BRSIT cause. I haven't pledged and certainly won't do so now. It seems the organisation is not quite as professional as it makes out to be and its seems data protection is something which someone at the club and BRSIT have scant regard for. It just seems like another massive own goal on behalf of BRSIT and the Rovers need to explain how private information has been passed on in this way. I seem to remember that when I filled in my season ticket application I indicated on the form that I did not want to receive anything from third parties. Clearly, the club don't take their own forms and the information on them very seriously. I find it staggering that in this day and age any professional body can be so lax with regard to data protection.

As I put on the Rovers Supporters Trust thread - and apologies for using the wrong thread - I think this can have done nothing but harm to the BRSIT cause. I haven't pledged and certainly won't do so now. It seems the organisation is not quite as professional as it makes out to be and its seems data protection is something which someone at the club and BRSIT have scant regard for. It just seems like another massive own goal on behalf of BRSIT and the Rovers need to explain how private information has been passed on in this way. I seem to remember that when I filled in my season ticket application I indicated on the form that I did not want to receive anything from third parties. Clearly, the club don't take their own forms and the information on them very seriously. I find it staggering that in this day and age any professional body can be so lax with regard to data protection.

Lol

Somehow riggers I suspect that if someone at the club leaked this information, intentionally or not, they may not find it a laughing matter. You may not take data protection seriously a view I can fully respect. However, others do and one would hope that those holding personal information might take the view that it is private for a reason.

As someone who has recently had to deal with 2 reports to the DPC as a result of DPAct. breeches I can tell you it is no laughing matter, nor was the apology letter that had to be sent to 120K people. Wake up Riggers this is primary legislation we are talking about.

Somehow riggers I suspect that if someone at the club leaked this information, intentionally or not, they may not find it a laughing matter. You may not take data protection seriously a view I can fully respect. However, others do and one would hope that those holding personal information might take the view that it is private for a reason.

How do you know that your personal email hasn't been bought from a marketing company who own the data as part of brfc? You dont. It is just all scaremongering. Do you ask for all the phone calls asking about that accident you never had or the ppi claim you can make. No you didn't. But how did they get the number? It was sold to them by a marketing company who match the demographic.

As someone who has recently had to deal with 2 reports to the DPC as a result of DPAct. breeches I can tell you it is no laughing matter, nor was the apology letter that had to be sent to 120K people. Wake up Riggers this is primary legislation we are talking about.

It is an email about rovers. That's it.

How do you know that your personal email hasn't been bought from a marketing company who own the data as part of brfc? You dont. It is just all scaremongering. Do you ask for all the phone calls asking about that accident you never had or the ppi claim you can make. No you didn't. But how did they get the number? It was sold to them by a marketing company who match the demographic.

It is an email about rovers. That's it.

Oh that's ok then , don't panic!!!

I received the email and immediately thought "I didnt register for any mailings from these guys" and I always deselect 3rd party mailings options. Working in the sector I do, I know this is has the potential to be a major issue. It is not acceptable to say we are Rovers fans ergo we shouldn`t be bothered - somehow my personal details have got to someone I did not want them to go to.

A few weeks ago Wayne Wild asked me on Twitter to reveal my identity. This I did not do. He had also asked me to contact him. Again I did not do so. Asking for such information on a public site is also unprofessional.

From posts on this thread it appears that it is people who have NOT pledged to BRSIT who have received these emails. Is this an attempt at intimidation?

Questions have to be asked and answered by Rovers, Wayne Wild, BRSIT. I also suggest that the action group may have to re-consider their close relationship to BRSIT.

People who have pledged to BRSIT should now wonder how safe is the information they have given about themselves to BRSIT.

• Backroom

I wouldn't say it's any attempt at intimidation more out of desperation maybe

I don't believe it to be sinister either just unprofessional

I wouldn't say it's any attempt at intimidation more out of desperation maybe

I don't believe it to be sinister either just unprofessional

Until we learn more, all motives are on the table imo. But however way you look at it, it is wrong and unproffessional. Questions have to be asked and answered by all the parties concerned.

Before meltdown starts, there is absolutely zero breach of data protection here.

Companies do this hourly, buying personal email addresses from large companies to try and sell them a product. Its marketing, perfectly legal and theres zero blame on BRIST for your unhappiness. If your so convinced that they have recieved this information from the club I suggest you take it up with them.

Do you react like this to all your spam email?

I've not had one of these emails, however my concern would be that if WEC/BRSIT have such a file with emails address', what other personal data is contained within the file that WEC/BRSIT have?

Has there been any official response from WEC/WW/BRSIT to this?

Archived