BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

David Bentley

Hekla

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's likely he'll rock up raise his reputation again and do the dirty and bog off again.

no chance the guys a pillock

But if we only loan him, and we get promoted .. whats the problem?

• Backroom

He was fantastic for us I find it hard to even accept a case against that.

He rarely had a bad game and even when he did he was still capable of influencing the game in our favour

I think when Bentley left it was one of the worst transfers for both parties I can remember. We never replaced him with anyone remotely as good, and he just had a shocker at Spurs.

Even in his current state he'd be better than the midfielders we've got imo.

That hat trick at United, what a game.

Oh yeah, I remember that game. One of the best matches I've ever watched. And while Bentley was awesome, half of it was down to Rio Ferdinand's blunders. I couldn't stop laughing at his expression, and Alex Ferguson's, after the game. Or rather, when Ferdinand got red-carded after his foolish tackle on Robbie Savage.

I'm sure you won't find many of our fans who didn't rate Bentley. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it just the one. There was no better English right winger at the time and if he hadn't been playing for us, he would have been a starter long before his first call up.

I would take him back in an instant. Apparently Best is good in the air and think how many Santa Cruz scored with his head after a Bentley cross. Barring the Wolves game when we stayed up, that 4-3 win against United was probably my favourite game since the Worthington Cup Final....his set pieces were as good as Pedersen's and he scored some really nice goals......the one to get his hat trick was probably my favourite but that one in the Uefa Cup against Salzburg was an absolute screamer.

did he not go on loan to west ham last year shortly before he got injured ?

he clearly doesnt mind dropping a division to get some games , imo we need a right midfielder and if spurs are willing to loan him him then i wouldn't hesitate at all

Bentley was one of the greatest ever in my 20 years of supporting Rovers. Never thought he would do so bad as he does when left Rovers. Would be a massive gamble to take his back and hope he finds himself again. We also saw with RSC how hard it is to come back once left and have lost the touch meanwhile. I would avoid Bentley but do think we need a right winger. Kakuta from Chelsea should be available on loan. Maybe the club want him to play on top level though.

Bentley was one of the greatest ever in my 20 years of supporting Rovers. Never thought he would do so bad as he does when left Rovers. Would be a massive gamble to take his back and hope he finds himself again. We also saw with RSC how hard it is to come back once left and have lost the touch meanwhile. I would avoid Bentley but do think we need a right winger. Kakuta from Chelsea should be available on loan. Maybe the club want him to play on top level though.

I think you are overstating how good he was for us a bit. He was very good but not quite in the same bracket as Duff, RSC, McCarthy, Bellamy, Nelsen, Samba, Friedel, Tugay, Jansen imo.

He did ok for us at first but tailed off at the end of season. I personally don't want him back especially his big time Charlie rant around the pool.

I didn't rate the guy as highly as you guys seem to.

"...did ok for us at first..." Bitter much?

Archived