BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Game Thread - Rochdale Away Pre Season

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not take pre season results too seriously , but I have to agree with previous poster that the pre season fixtures have been selected to give kean breathing space ...Fully expecting to win at least 3 , we won 1 ....

I cannot see anything but a continuation of the last 18 months with Kean ....

That will ultimately mean relegation either this season or certainly next .

In all seriousness what's the deal with Bruno Ribeiro? I remember reading that he was awful in maybe his first reserve match but did he continue to play shocking? Not that I want him to play, but for the people who have seen him quite a bit, would they mind if he played a few times this season or came on as a sub?

One of our better players tonight. Didn't do much wrong. Could be useful this season

The lad on the left wing looked very good, but the highlight for me was the incident where the skinny lad with the long hair tried to get a "Kean Out!"going at the front of the stand. "Where's Scooby?" was one wag's shouted response.

And why did Danny Murphy not have a shirt number?

I'd happily take 4,5,6 even 7 straight defeats if it means he's sacked but an experienced replacement is found and not Hendry promoted to manager. I've never wanted Rovers to loose. But if it's for the best of the club then so be it

In my view , the next manager is definately Colin Hendry , cannot help thinking this is going to be Keans biggest mistake ...

When Rochdale scored, we had already made six subs. Our best striker didn't play. We will more than likely have a new striker, midfielder and left back coming in for the new season. Plus, players such as Simon, pedersen and Orr - who I think will be key players next season - did not play due to injury.

When Rochdale scored they had 2 1st year pros in defence, 1 lad with 2apps to his name as well. also remember that rochdale have had one hell of a clearout and it was their first friendly. They had also made about 6 subs at half time as well.

Nice night for Rochdale, rovers barely threatened, even when controlling the game. The 1 v 1 in the second half was inexcusable.

We're never strong enough for the championship at present even with the missing lads.

the keano sign him up chant was funny.

I was one of the few Rovers fans allowed into the main stand - they're my local team and I usually sit there when I've gone on the weekends when we've been away and they're at home. That was mainly because I was in mufti [the guy on the gate told me to zip up my jacket so that the Stewards who had been told to look out for Rovers' fans in that stand wouldn't see the badge on my Rovers polo shirt and move me to a different part of the ground].

Two comments only:

1] if this was a game which was intended to develop an alternative style of football for when Best isn't our target man, then we've a helluva lot of work to do on that aspect of the game - Dale's defences [they changed their team at half-time] coped well enough with whatever we threw at them;

2] forget the concept of football fans standing together against ignorant owners. The comments from Rochdull fans near me and my mate in the main stand when the "Kean Out" chants began in earnest, 40 minutes into the game, were very critical. They couldn't see any distinction between chanting that and failing to suppport the team. In a small ground like that with a crowd of less than 2,000, it was easy to see what they meant.

You dont expect much from these pre season games but the worrying concern has to be we've played two games and have scored NO goals regardless of who the opposition might have been.

Goodwillie is a decent impact player but not a starter.

Quoted for posterity.

Couldn't care less about results in pre season as most teams are on different schedules at this point. It is disappointing to hear that we aren't playing with any quality though.

Another hugely disappointing performance tonight. Although I have been highly critical of Bruno in the past for his performances in the reserves, I thought he had a decent game for the second time this week. As for Goodwillie, words simply fail me. I thought Murphy looked good again but the other new signings didn't impress as much as they did against Fleetwood. The worrying thing is that the faults of last season are still there for all to see - weak in front of goal and poor defensively as a team. It's abundantly clear that Kean has no idea about how to solve either of these problems and the need for some old pros who know what they are doing is there for all to see. The prospect of the likes of Lowe in midfield and Morris at left-back doesn't inspire confidence. I fear that anyone who thinks this squad is capable of averaging two points a game - to get above 90 points - to win promotion is deluding themselves.

some people are seriously missing the point here, yes pre-season is about fitness, but it also about getting the team to gel together.

its all right being super fit, but if your players do not know the systems which they are suppose to be playing they will get beat.

I am very concerned, the excuse of match fitness doesnt sit well with me, as all teams are at the same point in pre-season. And as a club with a prem league structure in place we should be able to get our players up to fitness a lot quicker than the teams we have been losing to.

He is going to play this season and the mis-treatment of him has been noted, he was not allowed to be a player at rovers and had a black cross against him when he came.

Could you expand on this? Treated in prejudice by Kean? Noted by Shabby or the Raos?

If Kean has deliberately treated Ribeiro badly then how has he got away with it, when we are lead to believe that it wasn't his signing, it was a Rao family signing.

I've seen him twice preseason and he has looked ok. Much better than last season.

some people are seriously missing the point here, yes pre-season is about fitness, but it also about getting the team to gel together.

its all right being super fit, but if your players do not know the systems which they are suppose to be playing they will get beat.

I am very concerned, the excuse of match fitness doesnt sit well with me, as all teams are at the same point in pre-season. And as a club with a prem league structure in place we should be able to get our players up to fitness a lot quicker than the teams we have been losing to.

No one Rovers fan should expect a 35 year old, a 36 year old and David Dunn to have any sort of competitive advantage on a football field at any professional level.

Another hugely disappointing performance tonight. Although I have been highly critical of Bruno in the past for his performances in the reserves, I thought he had a decent game for the second time this week. As for Goodwillie, words simply fail me. I thought Murphy looked good again but the other new signings didn't impress as much as they did against Fleetwood. The worrying thing is that the faults of last season are still there for all to see - weak in front of goal and poor defensively as a team. It's abundantly clear that Kean has no idea about how to solve either of these problems and the need for some old pros who know what they are doing is there for all to see. The prospect of the likes of Lowe in midfield and Morris at left-back doesn't inspire confidence. I fear that anyone who thinks this squad is capable of averaging two points a game - to get above 90 points - to win promotion is deluding themselves.

Thank you again PB.

For what it's worth - and I haven't been to any of the pre-season games - I think we're going to be the soft touch in this league. May I be the first to suggest relegation might be our destiny?

I know the Championship is well below the level of the Premier League, but do we have a squad of players who can go away from home, keep the opponents out for a hour and a half, dominate in midfield and score enough goals? Do we hell.

Thank you again PB.

For what it's worth - and I haven't been to any of the pre-season games - I think we're going to be the soft touch in this league. May I be the first to suggest relegation might be our destiny?

I know the Championship is well below the level of the Premier League, but do we have a squad of players who can go away from home, keep the opponents out for a hour and a half, dominate in midfield and score enough goals? Do we hell.

You wouldn't be the first to think we will most likely be relegated again......a lot will.....I've seen it written a few times and I am one of them.....I think 16/17th will be the highest we will finish.

You wouldn't be the first to think we will most likely be relegated again......a lot will.....I've seen it written a few times and I am one of them.....I think 16/17th will be the highest we will finish.

But........ but..... isn't Goodwillie going to get us 30+ goals?

We are nailed-on certainties for relegation with this pillock in charge - the players aren't good enough, the staff aren't good enough, and the manager is pityful.

Never mind all this 'it's only pre-season, it's all about fitness' rubbish. We've just lost to ACCRINGTON STANLEY and ROCHDALE - 2 teams who should be as unfit as we are!!!

I despair - I really despair....

Looking at the bigger picture (with Hoillet gone and Olssen's departure imminent) can anybody see any pace in the team/squad? The Championship is a more physically demanding league than the Premiership and pace and fitness is vital.

One of last seasons biggest issues to me was the general lack of fitness, typified by the number of late goals we conceded. If players aren't fit enough they will be found out as many were last season.

Looking at the bigger picture (with Hoillet gone and Olssen's departure imminent) can anybody see any pace in the team/squad? The Championship is a more physically demanding league than the Premiership and pace and fitness is vital.

One of last seasons biggest issues to me was the general lack of fitness, typified by the number of late goals we conceded. If players aren't fit enough they will be found out as many were last season.

No pace at all mate and I am already told Murphy looks uncomfortable in a role just in front of the back four!!

As for fitness, its a massive problem under Kean, we looked unfit last year and from what I am told by a proffesssional in the finess area, we still do!!

When you've got Lowe and Morris who simply arent good enough then add a couple of Portugeese kids alongside, throw in two coffin dodgers, add Dunny and it becomes painfully clear to see that Rovers are going absolutely NOwhere this coming season.

Plus we've got garbage like Blackman, Anderson, and a few others in the wings. When our better players leave we are going to look very poor indeed which will leave the Burnley fans laughing all the way at our demise.

Archived