BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Game Thread - Rochdale Away Pre Season

It's the only option. He should have been sacked but wasn't. Unfortunately that's not our call but if anyone wants to make that call, all they have to do is shell out c20m for the privilege.

For the seemingly relatively few of us who haven't turned their back on the Club for this season, the only option is to get behind the team from the first whistle of the new season and anti Kean chants before or from the off aren't consistent with that imo.

If were heading the same way after five or six games, that's completely different imo. But what if we're doing well after 5 or 6 games? Do the fans continue the chants against the manager in the hope we will cease to do well? :wacko:

For the record I don't THINK we will do anything much whilst Kean remains in charge. I HOPE we do however as I couldn't really care less who the manager is if we win enough football matches to gain promotion for example.

I agree with you Rev if its any consolation! If the team are doing badly in a lower division then action needs to be taken; but if the team are doing well why continue the negative protests?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've kept clear of the Messageboard over the summer in an attempt to avoid the unrelenting negativity and thought I would leave it until the action actually starts. Neither have I been to any of the preseason games.

The only thing that matters is what happens when the season kicks off in earnest so OssyDave is right up to a point when he says the results of these games aren't the be all and end all. However, you wouldn't expect the teams we've been playing to be able to live with a team that was recently playing in the Premiership, demoted or not, skillwise or even in terms of fitness. Three defeats seem slightly more than a coincidence in that you might expect one freak result in there interspersed with a couple of resounding thrashings. Or maybe for us to have played the opposition off the park without being able to put the ball in the net. Neither of these seems to have happened, conversely our intended "squash guy" opposition seem to have outplayed us which does not bode well. At the moment you wonder if this season is going to mirror the half season prior to Brian Kidd's sacking when things got worse before they got better.

All that said "Kean out" chants are completely pointless before the season even starts imo. The owners should certainly have sacked him last season but didn't, therefore new season and everyone needs to start with a completely clean slate. If after five or six games its obvious that things are continuing in the same vein as last season, that's a different matter. But in my view it's not right to be on Kean's back and by extension the backs of the players, without actually seeing what unfurls on the pitch once the proper action starts.

Rev keep living in the gaga land of the loon if you want but you know better- you have been around long enough to know there is only one way are going with the buffoon at the helm and it ain't back up.

Dream all you want about the one day things will get better, but until the pillock is removed as minimum there is no hope what so ever- no matter who we sign

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes!! :wacko:

Absolute bonkers the claptrap people are coming out with to try and justify we are going to be alright and on the next boat to the Premier

The only clean that should be being mentioned is that of a summer clean of the club. and the rotten within it.

I agree with you Rev if its any consolation! If the team are doing badly in a lower division then action needs to be taken; but if the team are doing well why continue the negative protests?

A very fundamental question.

Applying reverse logic, would people support "Kean's Rovers" if they were consistently winning matches?

As a long-time reader of this board I would say that Revidge Blue was one of the best, if not THE best, posters on this site for many years.

Seeing him calling for a 'clean slate' for Steve Kean is a little like watching a fading Robert De Niro in "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle".

What is the price of a soul?

Applying reverse logic, would people support "Kean's Rovers" if they were consistently winning matches?

They ought to, in the admittedly unlikely looking scenario that that turns out to be the case.

Shouldn't even be in question.

A very fundamental question.

This isn't logic, it never will be "Kean's Rovers" he is merely a scumbag chancer who temporarily holds the reins. Fans will always support their Rovers, but the slimeball will never gain an inch with me or many like me.

They ought to, in the admittedly unlikely looking scenario that that turns out to be the case.

Shouldn't even be in question.

It's difficult to see past him though Rev.

That's why I phrased it "Kean's Rovers". I simply cannot forgive him for "carrying on regardless" assuming the conspiracy theories are untrue, or even helping relegate us.

Yet I've renewed because I still feel that although they are under a cloud, it's still deep down my home town club .

If he wins his first 5 games, it won't change my opinion of him - but I wonder if it might sway some of the non-renewers to return?

As a long-time reader of this board I would say that Revidge Blue was one of the best, if not THE best, posters on this site for many years.

Seeing him calling for a 'clean slate' for Steve Kean is a little like watching a fading Robert De Niro in "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle".

What is the price of a soul?

Hmmm................backhanded compliment or what? :rock:

Kean should have been replaced long ago, but he wasn't so we have to deal with the fact that he will be manager at the start of the new season and get on with life in the real world.

By "clean slate" I am not advocating he get the keys to the town nor do I expect he will ever be popular with most fans no matter what he does in future but I don't see the point in getting on the team's back from the opening whistle of the new season.

Neither do I think he should be on anything but the shortest of leashes. We have to hope that with the recent regime changes they are of the same view and that he is removed in short order should (when?) we start badly again.

Surely people are getting on the manager's back (rightly so) rather than the team's back?

I thought someone would make that point, and it's a fair one to make but in my view it's more or less one and the same thing. It must be very difficult for any team to perform well with chants against the manager reverberating around the ground.

Usually it's a reflection of how badly the team have done over a period of time and is merited as it were but in this case the majority of the players will probably think it quite bizarre and disheartening if it starts even before results have gone badly. (This season)

I thought someone would make that point, and it's a fair one to make but in my view it's more or less one and the same thing. It must be very difficult for any team to perform well with chants against the manager reverberating around the ground.

Usually it's a reflection of how badly the team have done over a period of time and is merited as it were but in this case the majority of the players will probably think it quite bizarre and disheartening if it starts even before results have gone badly. (This season)

It is a reflection of how badly the team has done over a period of time - since Kean took over. Those who've been here throughout know that and those who have come in must have known what to expect or did they just assume all the protests would go away because they have arrived? The bizarre fact that we are protesting against our manager before the start of the season is merely a reflection of the whole bizarre state of affairs at Ewood which most of them have walked into willingly with their eyes wide open. Or do they genuinely believe all that rubbish they spout about Kean?

Clean slate for Kean as it's a new season Rev? So, for you he gets at least till Xmas? As you couldn't possibly pot someone with a clean slate after two or three bad results in August.

Stop putting words into my mouth. You said that not me.

If it was down to me he wouldn't be in charge at all, but he is and we have to "wee with the willie we have got" as Souness famously said.

I would have thought half a dozen games or so would be adequate to judge whether progress was satisfactory or not at the start of the new season.

It is a reflection of how badly the team has done over a period of time - since Kean took over. Those who've been here throughout know that and those who have come in must have known what to expect or did they just assume all the protests would go away because they have arrived? The bizarre fact that we are protesting against our manager before the start of the season is merely a reflection of the whole bizarre state of affairs at Ewood which most of them have walked into willingly with their eyes wide open. Or do they genuinely believe all that rubbish they spout about Kean?

I don't think the new players will be expecting to walk into a cauldron of hate towards Kean from the first whistle Gumboots.

I don't think the new players will be expecting to walk into a cauldron of hate towards Kean from the first whistle Gumboots.

Why not? I know not all footballers are bright, but surely someone does a bit of research before advising them to sign for a club. It's well-documented that we are awful fans who scare our manager so much that he needs a bodyguard so they must expect a bit of abuse surely? As i said earlier, if not on this thread then on one of the others, I don't do chanting myself but I don't blame anyone who does and anyone coming into the club should expect it too until Kean is gone. A cauldron of hate, you call it. Wait till we lose a game or two that matters in the league i.e the first home game of the season.

Rev, I think the key is here that Kean will never get the full backing of the fans now. Not if we win the league by 20 points (zero chance I know). some will relent obviously, but I think there's a significant number who wouldn't support him ever.

It's as much his antics off the pitch that have determined this too.

As for the new players, I honestly don't think they had a clue. Mrs Murphy seemed shocked about it on twitter.

It was weird being at Spotland last night.

My team, which I've supported [as I've related on this Board before] since I was a 7-year-old "exile" in Blackpool in 1953 [when we were 12th in Division 2 as my schoolmates' team was about to win one of the most famous F.A. Cup Finals in history] lost to a team which returned to Division 4-really as we sank into the Chumpionship.

Yet I couldn't but silently agree with the Rochdull fans in the row behind me that chanting "Kean Out" did nothing to support the players.

What is a chap to do?

This is from another Blackburn forum:

For starters I fail to see what the alarm is with the pre-season results, it is very common place for the lower league side to get some sort of result in pre-season. Rovers played the game at about 70% pace and it was merely a kick about intended for fitness and assessing options.

Would have been nice to win/score but hardly the end of the world or worthy of over the top concern.

From the back...

Robinson looked a bit uncharacteristically shaky with his kicking at the back in the first half, his second half replacement Kean

(not that one

) had very little to do other than pick the ball out of the net. Good goal from Rochdale but avoidable if truth be told.

Scott Dann looked steady but a bit unsure with the changes that happened throughout the game, looked a bit frustrated at times.

Givet was fine as usual.

BRUNO ALERT! Ribeiro sighting and even more weirdly he was actually quite good.

Josh Morris was hit and miss, looked energetic but lacked positional awareness.

Adam Henley looked lively in the second half - good going forward and willing tracking back.

Grant Hanley came on and did nothing exceptional/wrong.

Danny Murphy was dictating play beautifully at times from deep in midfield and his passing range was superb. Would have been nice if Kean had allowed more people to run off him as he had bugger all to aim for at times but top signing, I have no doubt.

Jason Lowe did a lot of running but not a lot else.

Fabio Nunes was quietish first half but looks a real find as his second half showing was sparkling. If Leon Best/Gomes were still on he would have had more of a focal point than just Goodwillie

(who looked a nervous wreck and inadequate

) but his touch, turns and interplay with midfield marked him down as a star turn. ONE TO WATCH.

Mauro Formica did a lot of running but not a lot else.

Gomes held the ball up well in the first half and was full of endeavour. But it was a dull half so we didn't see the full range of what is suspect he is capable of.

Edinho and Jorge came on late on - Jorge made a few nice runs and looked to keep possession well. Edinho didn't do anything as he didn't really have the chance.

Dunny was on in the second and livened things up a bit. Bursts forward and good movement ahead of Murphy, but question marks over whether he would be able to do this for 90 minutes. Those who say he won't contribute at all though are talking balls.

Marcus Olsson came on for Nunes. Pacey, good interplay with Hanley and some endeavour.

but if the team are doing well why continue the negative protests?

Its your opinion Tony but I find it absolutely astonishing considering what has happened to this club under his tenure.The protests have and will no doubt continue to be solely aimed at the incompetents Kean and the owners NOT the team.

Its your opinion Tony but I find it absolutely astonishing considering what has happened to this club under his tenure.The protests have and will no doubt continue to be solely aimed at the incompetents Kean and the owners NOT the team.

But, Tony, surely you realise how big a word "if" is?!

Allowing for the fact that we're still in pre-season, you'll surely accept that the scores in our matches so far don't inspire confidence.

I don't know how many of them you've seen; but let me tell you, on the basis of the only one I've been to so far, I'm worried; very worried.

Revblue you state you are happy to give the clown a new slate so surely now he must have a massive black mark against that slate after his drunken foul mouth rant in HK?.

Aare you then happy for this imbecile to drag the good name of this club down with him when Sam finally sues him and the club?.

Do you think it is acceptable for a high profile manager to behave in such an appaling way.

Also just to let you know yes it is all about fitness but you should know in previous pre-seasons we have beaten both of these teams so by my reckoning we are going backwards not forwards so how is that improving things or enough to earn him a new slate?.

• Backroom

You'll find most of the people attempting to defend Kean/the Raos (even though they claim they aren't) are those who had massive grudges against Allardyce and/or the Walker Trust. It isn't a coincidence.

Archived