BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] jordan rhodes

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on he's hardly lethargic. His lack of blistering pace is clearly made up for in other ways, but he isn't slow per se. There's a lot of strikers around who aren't any quicker, including in the top flight. McCarthy, Yak, Berbatov - to name a few - were hardly blindingly quick and they've all scored a lot of goals in the Prem.

• 3 weeks later...

His movement has impressed me again.....another reason he can still thrive without pace.

In the lower leagues he can, but in the PL against some of the best defenders in Europe, you must have either real pace or exceptional technique.

In the lower leagues he can, but in the PL against some of the best defenders in Europe, you must have either real pace or exceptional technique.

That's true of top PL players, but I wouldn't say Steven Fletcher, Bobby Zamora, Grant Holt, Danny Graham etc are blessed with either of those, and they've all scored goals in the PL.

Rhodes needs to work on his strength mainly, his technique and movement are as good as some PL players already. His finishing is certainly up there.

Rhodes needs to work on his strength mainly, his technique and movement are as good as some PL players already. His finishing is certainly up there.

Claims based on nothing there LeChuck. He hasn't played in the PL yet.

• Backroom

Sorry Den but this is hogwash. There are plenty of strikers playing for teams between 10th - 20th who have neither real pace or exceptional technique. Your description is only apt for clubs in the top 7/8 IMO.

Claims based on nothing there LeChuck. He hasn't played in the PL yet.

Don't think it's fair to say they're based on nothing. It's based on seeing him play. We've all seen enough of the Premier League to have a rough idea of what classes as Premier League technique and movement, even if the blokes attempting to tackle him aren't Premier League. Most of our squad were in the Prem last year, so we also have some points of comparison.

• Backroom

Everything I've mentioned about his all round game - who cares when he can finish like he does

Hope he gets the keep the hattrick but the first may go down as an OG

You can't deny quality finishing and the lad can't half finish! He may not get the 20+ goals, he will get in the Championship, in the big leagues, but he will get a good 15+ goals a season in the Premier League and teams pay through the nose for strikers like that these days. They certainly pay a lot more than £8m anyway.

• 1 month later...

Interesting quoted from Michael Owen this evening:

"The way the game has gone over the last few years is that strike partnerships are few and far between, whereas five to 10 years ago it was popular such as the SAS (Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton). Players like me are a dying breed now, ones that play off the big man."

I hope Rhodes is taking note! He probably knows this because he seems a bright lad, but it feels like slow progress at the moment.

Yeah, I do think he gets a tough review from a lot of our supporters. He's not going to win games in the way someone Bellamy might, where he takes over and runs the show, but you know that if you give him a decent chance that it is quite likely that he will score. He's scored 13 and he's only missed a handful of good chances.

I hope Rhodes is taking note! He probably knows this because he seems a bright lad, but it feels like slow progress at the moment.

Little harsh Le Chuck! He's not going to suddenly turn into a striker with an all-round game like Aguero.

He's doing what he was brought in to do - which is score goals. It's down to the team/management to play to his strengths. Incidently it's good to see Rochina back in, as he's the one player who seems to be on Rhodes wavelength.

Archived