BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Academy Miss Out On Cat 1 Status

Strange one this. When you look at the criteria, it surely can't fail on facilities can it ? Also look at the players who have come through and it should pass on that score. Wonder what the real reason for failing so far is?

Bad news.

Wondering how much this could affect us. We've lost the £270,000 or whatever it is. Shouldnt be considered too much of a disaster.

Would the Category 2 affect the players we can bring in to the academy? I would assume maybe not local lads, as the academys around us probably arent Cat 1 anyway. You might have to be going to Manchester to get Cat 1.

Don't think this is the biggest of out problems, or have I missed a trick here?

"Each club is graded according to criteria such as facilities, productivity rates, coaching staff and funding, with a fixed tariff paid for players under 18 according to how much time has been invested in them. "

Now... if its not facilities that are the problem... hmm...

Strange one this. When you look at the criteria, it surely can't fail on facilities can it ? Also look at the players who have come through and it should pass on that score. Wonder what the real reason for failing so far is?

As far as I'm aware there still has to be some building work done with regard to having sufficient classrooms for the educational side of things and Ste B is right that there needs to be work done on all weather pitches and I believe floodlights need to be installed. I understand that much of this work is now being planned and undertaken in a bid to get grade 1 status. Failing to get grade 1 status will impact on the club in terms of the way in which boys are recruited and the amount of time they are able to spend with them.

As far as I'm aware there still has to be some building work done with regard to having sufficient classrooms for the educational side of things and Ste B is right that there needs to be work done on all weather pitches and I believe floodlights need to be installed. I understand that much of this work is now being planned and undertaken in a bid to get grade 1 status. Failing to get grade 1 status will impact on the club in terms of the way in which boys are recruited and the amount of time they are able to spend with them.

Is there any news when this is hoped to be finished? Some kind of timeframe?

Presumably, they will apply again asap.

Where to start? A system that rewards the the best set ups gets the most money? What's the point of that? It's exactly the same problem as the `Champions League` and the Premier league. All the money goes to the clubs with the most money already, thus perpetuating the elite sides continued success.

Is it the NFL in the USA where the lowest placed teams get the best choice of college players at the start of the season? That makes more sense.

Football is a massive load of ######.

Ok thanks. Nothing sinister in this then for once :) Hopefully they'll get the status in the near future. It just seemed strange how most clubs seem to have been granted it and us, barcodes and palace all turned down, all of us with ownership and financial issues recently. Anyway there should be plenty of room at Brockhall for the extra pitches etc.

Is there any news when this is hoped to be finished? Some kind of timeframe?

Presumably, they will apply again asap.

From the first link

Academies will be reviewed every two years and re-categorised if necessary.

Can we re-apply? or do we have to now wait for 2 years?

Was told it was all about the wording , which I know sounds daft but a bit like our customer charter we left certain elements out which when they went through the tick list so us fall short. Human error

Which wouldnt have happened with proper people looking after the club, ie JW and a good secretary!!

Which wouldnt have happened with proper people looking after the club, ie JW and a good secretary!!

I remember us almost signing Roy Keane once - a bit before Kean and Venkys time - and missing out through poor admin...

The facilities down in the Valley might have been state of the art in 1995, but following the building of the Academy (now STC) the facilities need to be upgraded to match modern standards.

I believe plans are in hand to upgrade these facilities, something that should have been done over the last 10 years. The Rovers Ladies / Girls Centre of Excellence is regarded as one of the best in the country.

I believe plans are in hand to upgrade these facilities, something that should have been done over the last 10 years. The Rovers Ladies / Girls Centre of Excellence is regarded as one of the best in the country.

Good point.

Not to be contrary but I don't think we can pin this one on Venkys. If anything, via Kean, they have relied too much on our youth system for players.

I'm not in a great position to comment but could be argued that the academy facilities have been somewhat neglected at the expense of survival each season, and possibly through a belief that they were still better than fit for purpose. So maybe Cat 2 sounds about right.

I seem to recall Mark Hughes not really investing in our youth system, preferring (with much success) to scour the talents of other clubs across Europe. Ironic that he should continue this policy by picking up Hoilett through a system he didn't appear to be keen on when he was here. Although I stand to be corrected on that.

Where to start? A system that rewards the the best set ups gets the most money? What's the point of that? It's exactly the same problem as the `Champions League` and the Premier league. All the money goes to the clubs with the most money already, thus perpetuating the elite sides continued success.

+1

Is it the NFL in the USA where the lowest placed teams get the best choice of college players at the start of the season? That makes more sense.

Football is a massive load of ######.

Couldn`t agree more Ozz,it would be great if all the teams were given a level playing field, the whole system needs a total shake up.All that will happen is the top teams that now are being forced to concentrate on their academies will cherry pick all of our youth players.The yank system seems to be far better as it at least gives every supporter of every club a chance to follow a team that is capable of winning the league or at least staying competitive.

sorry mate there are no maximums on time coaching just minimums. Arsenal and United are supposedly going cat 2, so why on earth would they do that if it was detrimental?

Was told it was all about the wording , which I know sounds daft but a bit like our customer charter we left certain elements out which when they went through the tick list so us fall short. Human error

So they got audited several months ago and got feedback and yet failed the real audit? Every single item you submit gets checked, people are on hand to tell you whether it's good enough or not and what needs to be changed. Either the feedback was crap or we weren't up to the job? Given other clubs who have had the same support have gained Cat 1, you have to favour the later.

Good point.

Not to be contrary but I don't think we can pin this one on Venkys. If anything, via Kean, they have relied too much on our youth system for players.

I'm not in a great position to comment but could be argued that the academy facilities have been somewhat neglected at the expense of survival each season, and possibly through a belief that they were still better than fit for purpose. So maybe Cat 2 sounds about right.

I seem to recall Mark Hughes not really investing in our youth system, preferring (with much success) to scour the talents of other clubs across Europe. Ironic that he should continue this policy by picking up Hoilett through a system he didn't appear to be keen on when he was here. Although I stand to be corrected on that.

Are you saying we have issues with our youth and have had for ages???

:blink:

Gob smacked, truly.

There was work ongoing when I was down there 2 weeks ago

Everyone has known what is required for many months, many. The bigger clubs have known for longer as they put this all together and yet we only sorted these new pitches out several weeks, why?

Very disappointed if true, but rumours abound that they wanted a limited number of Cat 1's and that they only really wanted bigger clubs to be them. Could it be that our league position has affected things?

Archived