BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] raymond verheijen

Raymond Verheijen ‏@raymondverheije

If you take away all the foreign coaches and players from the Premier League you’re stuck with one of the worst leagues in the world

Raymond Verheijen@raymondverheije

It is very tempting to work in Premier League as it’s relatively easy to be successful for foreign coaches in Jurassic Park.

sounds like a bitter dutchman who didnt get the wales job. Anyone actually agree with him?

• Backroom

Agree on players 100%

Edit: scratch that, I agree it would be a poor league but not one of the worst in the world but th worst of the big European leagues if all foreigners were stripped out of each

Subtract the foreigners and some premier league teams wouldn't have enough 1st teamers to field a team. It's a sorry state of affairs when we have less than 30% brits in the EPL, but in the same vein the standard needed to be a PL player is higher than elsewhere. However La liga isn't that far behind the prem and they have a lot more home growns as do Germany, the figure should be higher but we'll alwats struggle to match them due to the intensity of the league.

Hopefully the new Youth movement will solve that issue in the coming years.

Subtract the foreigners and some premier league teams wouldn't have enough 1st teamers to field a team. It's a sorry state of affairs when we have less than 30% brits in the EPL, but in the same vein the standard needed to be a PL player is higher than elsewhere. However La liga isn't that far behind the prem and they have a lot more home growns as do Germany, the figure should be higher but we'll alwats struggle to match them due to the intensity of the league.

Hopefully the new Youth movement will solve that issue in the coming years.

I read somewhere around the time of the Euros that the in the Prem only 30% of the players are eligible for the national team, whereas in the Bundesliga it's 68% and La Liga 70%.

I don't think that it's any harder to be a success in the Prem than La Liga - different styles of football, so different types of player will suit each better.

This is a list of who I think are the best 3 players at these clubs with the English players in bold -

Arsenal - Van Persie, Song, Vermaelen.........Villa - N'Zogbia, Given, BENT......Chelsea - Mata, LAMPARD, A COLE......Everton - BAINES, Jelavic, Pienaar......Fulham - Dempsey, Dembele, Duff.....Liverpool - GERRARD, Agger, Suarez......City - Silva, Aguero, Kompany.........United - SCHOLES, ROONEY, FERDINAND

Newcastle - Cabaye, Tiote, Cisse.....Norwich - Morison, HOLT, Hoolahan......QPR - Faurlin, Taarabt, Diakite......Stoke - ETHERINGTON, CROUCH, Walters.......Sunderland - Sessegnon, Mignolet, McClean.....Swansea - Vorm, DYER, SINCLAIR.........Spurs - Modric, Bale, Van Der Vaart.......West Brom - FOSTER, Morrison, Odemwingie.....Wigan - Moses, Al Habsi, McCarthy.

Obviously this is just my opinion and the chances of anyone doing the same list and picking the exact players is very slim......I've left out the promoted sides as certain players aren't as good in the Prem and some teams were pretty hard such as Newcastle, QPR, United and Wigan and could have gone either way.....and some players are British or Irish......I've also left out any new signings.......I put Ferdinand over Vidic as Vidic can't handle strikers with pace.

So out of the 17 teams and 51 players....14 are English, 6 are Irish, 2 are Welsh, 1 is Scottish and 28 are foreign......now that is just who I think are the best players and therefore doesn't paint the whole picture as it's not just about the best players but the ratio wouldn't be like that in Spain, Italy etc.

Pointless statement and doesnt really matter.

But another point is that the English players dont get as much of a chance because our clubs buy foreign players in, because its easy & cheaper than buying the best British. IF we had to have all English teams then the country would soon grow much stronger in talent terms. Its just jealousy because our country can afford the best teams/ players & managers.

Its just jealousy because our country can afford the best teams/ players & managers.

The very best of the best never come here, though. How many European / World player of the year awards have the English clubs won since Sky made them super rich? I can only recall Owen and Ronaldo achieving that honour while playing in this country, whereas the genuinely great players gravitate towards Spain and Italy.

There are loads of foreign players here but not many of them are real A-list types.

but most of them in spain play for either barca or real, ask yourself this if it wasn't for spain's big two, would you have seen the zidanes, ronaldo, christiano ronaldo, figos or beckhams in spain? i highly doubt it!!!

I don't know. It has been the same for longer than the premier league has been around, though. Even when English clubs were dominant in Europe with largely British squads, the likes of Maradona, Gullit, Van Basten and all would never have considered playing here.

edit: here's the full list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballon_d%27Or

even Kevin Keegan had to wait until he left for Germany to win it. Anti-English prejudice by Johnny Foreigner?

Archived