BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs NEC Nijmegen

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackburn operations director Paul Agnew refused to rule out the club taking action against supporters involved.

He said: “I was at the game on Friday and we heard there’d been a minor, minor disturbance between the two sets of fans.

“On the back of that the authorities, including the police, decided to have a meeting ahead of this game at NEC.

“They had intelligence overnight on the Saturday to suggest there’d been some social networking messages both ways and that there could be potential violence.”

Agnew stated Blackburn would not rush into any action against those involved without having full possession of the facts.

But he also claimed this was uncharted territory for a club with an unblemished record from previous European trips.

He added: “It’s too early to say what we will do.

“We always take advice off the police and authorities, who have a much better handle on these things and report back to us.

“We’ve never put the blinkers on for this sort of thing. If something official came back then obviously we would act accordingly.

“It’s something new to us. We’ve been in the UEFA Cup four times in the last 10 years and never had any problems before.

“We’ve got a very good record of fans travelling abroad.

“It’s a great shame because a number of our fans will have paid money and taken time to come to these games over the weekend and I feel very sorry for them

Blackburn operations director Paul Agnew refused to rule out the club taking action against supporters involved.

He said: “I was at the game on Friday and we heard there’d been a minor, minor disturbance between the two sets of fans.

“On the back of that the authorities, including the police, decided to have a meeting ahead of this game at NEC.

“They had intelligence overnight on the Saturday to suggest there’d been some social networking messages both ways and that there could be potential violence.”

Agnew stated Blackburn would not rush into any action against those involved without having full possession of the facts.

But he also claimed this was uncharted territory for a club with an unblemished record from previous European trips.

“We always take advice off the police and authorities, who have a much better handle on these things and report back to us.

“We’ve never put the blinkers on for this sort of thing. If something official came back then obviously we would act accordingly.

“It’s something new to us. We’ve been in the UEFA Cup four times in the last 10 years and never had any problems before.

“It’s a great shame because a number of our fans will have paid money and taken time to come to these games over the weekend and I feel very sorry for them

Glen tell Agnew to do one.

I dont know all the facts but this does sound very strange,our supporters have a good reputation and there has never been any trouble before following the club abroad to my knowledge.

Blown out of all proportion? :rock:

It does sound strange after seeing eye witness accounts on Twitter, seems they are trying to make a story out of nothing, and certain people wouldnt like anything better than to ban certain sections of our supporters. It will blow over

• Moderation Lead

It does sound strange after seeing eye witness accounts on Twitter, seems they are trying to make a story out of nothing, and certain people wouldnt like anything better than to ban certain sections of our supporters. It will blow over

Just tell Agnew to (Please don't use that word again) off in the next meeting with him. Until Kean has done one him and his bullsh1tting ways will never be accepted. If he was a Rovers fan as he says he was, he'd never sully our good name with nonsense lies.

Prick.

The full article- http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/blackburn-refuse-to-rule-out-taking-action-against-supporters-after-cancelled-friendly-8008839.html

Somthing really stinks about this, have Kean/Agnew sunk to a all new low in their pr war against us rovers fans,

Article claims around 80 rovers fans where rioting against around 30 of them, BULLSHIP!, id be suprised if their where more than 80-100 actual rovers fans there.

p.s. Was Kean there today?(if not, bit of a coincidence).

• Backroom

That doesn't sound right but I wouldnt rule out a couple of idiot fans acting as such myself

We have our share of them but wouldn't think they would travel to pre season games abroad but maybe Amsterdam tempting them

It seems like there was some 'Youth' graffiti on Friday night at least

So the police say it was the dutch fans targetting us yet OUR club tries to blame us. THANKS!

So the police say it was the dutch fans targetting us yet OUR club tries to blame us. THANKS!

Exactly!

Cant wait to hear what Shebby has to say about these things a the open meeting(thats if he doesn't bottle out), But I'm surprised he has agreed to it tbh, not that i expect any trouble just hes just putting himself in a very precarious position, As well as the fans he will be under just as much pressure from Kean&Agnew, who are both i imagine just waiting for him to slip up and say something out of place so they can go tell tales to the Venkys.

Wow - I have read the article - and IMO Agnew sits on the fence saying we are waiting for all the facts - and how we never normally have any trouble. If the article reflects what Agnew has said - I am totally confused why people are beating him up about it.

as always with slimeballs like Agnew/Kean you have to read between the lines.

Call it a hunch but I reckon we can expect lots of heavy handed stewarding and banning orders at Ewood now Newsham has been replaced.

The frisking of women and children might soon seem like the good old days...

Its amazing that the club can find the words "No comment" to cover every indiscretion of the manager from the Youtube video to his drink driving, yet can't wait to put a statement out on something like this. Like many above I'd be amazed if there were 80 fans out there, thanks to Steve Kean there is no way I'd have travelled that distance in Pre-Season.

"It's a great shame because a number of our fans will have paid money and taken time to come to these games over the weekend and I feel very sorry for them"

Maybe the club should refund them, kind of like when we travelled to Cardiff to watch a forfeit.

Anyway great news that the club won't rule out banning drunks who break laws late at night without evidence as of yet, thank god the club believe in innocent until proven guilty eh! Luckily in line with previous precedence they will no doubt be handing all the "fans" involved new contracts or at least a clean slate at the start of the season.

ever since your non event of stirring up conspiracy theories with no factual basis and then moving to the darwen end because even your long standing 'friends' couldn't stand you in the bbe... you have become a bore.

You failed and yet here you are still trying to stir the ch@t... I am not really sure why as any credibility you built last season has long been eroded.

The sorry thing is that a large number of real supporters bought what you said and have stayed away this season whilst you will be in anonymity of the darwen end

Your hypocrisy makes me sick.

Bit unusual for the club to come out and blame the fans.

Been on numerous euro trips with rovers, been chased out of polish nightclubs, had target stickers stuck on us in Poland, bloody hell in Lithuania one lad got kidnapped and dumped in a park having everything including his shoes stolen.

But never seen rovers fans create 'real' trouble...

"Yesterday night a group of around 80 supporters of Blackburn Rovers got into a fight with some 30 NEC supporters in our city - probably caused by the Nijmegen supporters and not by the English." Sandra Bronkhorst

Sounds like they(Nijmegen fans) started it and got a bit of a kicking. No problem with that. However continuing it and making plans for other kick offs smacks(no pun intended) of a little bit of hoolaganism in my opinion. No need for that at all!

Archived