BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] GAME THREAD - Ipswich Town Away 12/13

m1st

Although he didn't actually play for Rovers first team, it is probably worth mentioning another local link to Ipswich. Mark Brennan was a member of the Blackburn and Darwen schoolboys side that reached the latter stages of the English Schools cup in the very early 80s. He was a skilful midfielder with a sweet left foot and started his career at Ipswich in 1983, playing 168 games for them in five years and scoring 19 goals. He was excellent at dead ball situations. He went on to play for Middlesbrough and Man City.

I'm sure there was a Darwen lad also played for Ipswich within the past 20 or so years but his name escapes me.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
“The vitriol shown to Steve Keene was appalling. The owners are unpopular but the personal attacks on Keene were a new low imho. Don't understand why you couldn't protest against the board and support your manager.”

Get many brain surgeons over on the Town forums these days then?

Although he didn't actually play for Rovers first team, it is probably worth mentioning another local link to Ipswich. Mark Brennan was a member of the Blackburn and Darwen schoolboys side that reached the latter stages of the English Schools cup in the very early 80s. He was a skilful midfielder with a sweet left foot and started his career at Ipswich in 1983, playing 168 games for them in five years and scoring 19 goals. He was excellent at dead ball situations. He went on to play for Middlesbrough and Man City.

I'm sure there was a Darwen lad also played for Ipswich within the past 20 or so years but his name escapes me.

Thanks for that, fqm; I remember Mark Brennan coming through the ranks but moving on to achieve success elsewhere. And with a club which was at a higher level than us at the time, too.

I wonder how many players there have been like that over the years?

Thanks for that, fqm; I remember Mark Brennan coming through the ranks but moving on to achieve success elsewhere. And with a club which was at a higher level than us at the time, too.

I wonder how many players there have been like that over the years?

It was a strange era for local talent that. I have some inside info of this particular time (Howard Kendall was manager) and Rovers only took 2 apprentices on per year. I reckon a good 7 or 8 of that Blackburn and Darwen schools team would have stood a good chance of making it as professionals under today's Academy regimes. As far as I know Mark Brennan was the only one who played as a full time professional, and in the top flight too. My young brother played in that schoolboy side - he is the only Blackburn & Darwen player ever to win 100 schoolboy 'caps', quite an achievement - but despite playing several games for Rovers reserves at the tender age of 15 Howard called him in and said he couldn't offer him an apprenticeship as they were taking on Franz Carr and - sorry, the other lad's name escapes me - but he could continue to play for the reserves and hope that someone spotted him.

The one local (Darwen) lad from my era that Rovers missed out on was Stevie Mullen - as I recall he ended up at City too (via Bury among others)

Sorry, I've drifted well off topic here.................... for what its worth I think we'll win on Saturday in a high scoring game, maybe 3-2.

Who are Braddock Rovers?

I won't be here for the game. My disappearing act starts on Friday and coincides with my holiday. My last disappearing act was close season as I so no real point in posting.

Indeed.

Interesting. Would be hoping for a gerrardesque balloon over the bar myself.

Score draw. ..... 2-2? ... with at least one of the goals assisted by a Bradley Orr cross.

My young brother played in that schoolboy side - he is the only Blackburn & Darwen player ever to win 100 schoolboy 'caps', quite an achievement -

My brother Mark played alongside your brother Mick in that same team.

I think our pre season has been a joke.

Final match against Cork 'reserves' is no way to hone your final preparations.

IMO, very poor preparation against p1ss poor opposition and disjointed team selections mean that we are likely to be one of the most ill prepared teams in the Football League.

Would not surprise me to see us go down by 3, 4 or even 5 !

I think our pre season has been a joke.

Final match against Cork 'reserves' is no way to hone your final preparations.

IMO, very poor preparation against p1ss poor opposition and disjointed team selections mean that we are likely to be one of the most ill prepared teams in the Football League.

Would not surprise me to see us go down by 3, 4 or even 5 !

I wouldn't like to give a score prediction but you're dead right regarding our lack of preparation. We'll be running on our tongues after an hour.

Not at all confident about this one without a quality out and out striker in the line up.

That will also make or break the season imo.

It didnt last season with Yakubu.

I think its if Kean can learn to set up a team that has players in their strongest position and team that keeps its shape and everybody knows what is expected of them will make or break our season.. If the end of last season and this pre-season is anyhting to go by I would say he has somehow got worse.

Im interested but also dreading how we will line up against Ipswich. But if he starts Dunn in the centre of midfield im going to avoid the match and just catch the result later on.

Every now and again I get a gut feeling about certain outcomes in sporting events without betting on it - after which I totally regret.

On this game, to me its a positive banker to be a +3 goal match given we are no better in defence(nevermind throughout the club) and stil have the idiotic moron in charge.

felt it for a long time and its what my money is going on.

3 -1 Ipswich

Archived