BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] GAME THREAD - Ipswich Town Away 12/13

m1st

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard not to agree with the pessimists. Just WTF was behind the idea of playing a Cork youth team one week prior to the big KO. Ipswich played Bristol City a day or so ago FFS.

We wanted to build a winning mentality? As opposed to getting beat by Rochdale, Accrington Stanley and whoever else beat us......that's all I've got.

Did we have any games in pre season you would consider a challenge? AEK Athens maybe. Kean probably tried to pick "lesser" opposition in order to gain some wins, didn't work like.

Pretty much what Salgado says above, winning mentality and all that.

All he achieved was to make me (and probably many others) somehow have even less belief that we can win games with him in charge.

Hard not to agree with the pessimists. What was behind the idea of playing a Cork youth team one week prior to the big KO. Ipswich played Bristol City a day or so ago FFS.

Can't answer your rhetorical question SR!

However, Ipswich's game v the other BRFC [a League Two team - not Bristol City] was a League Cup game; it wasn't as if it was planned as part of their pre-season programme.

Can't answer your rhetorical question SR!

However, Ipswich's game v the other BRFC [a League Two team - not Bristol City] was a League Cup game; it wasn't as if it was planned as part of their pre-season programme.

I realise that, but with us knowing that they'd have a decent match, a proper build up, we could at least have faced a competitive fixture. As it was we played a group of 18 year olds.

Did we have any games in pre season you would consider a challenge? AEK Athens maybe. Kean probably tried to pick "lesser" opposition in order to gain some wins, didn't work like.

Nothing new in picking 'weak' opossition, but It certainly didn't work.

I wouldnt even class AEK as a challenge. They played PNE the day before us.

I anything the friendlies have highlighted our own weaknesses - in terms of fitness and how poor our own squad is.

Whats the general feeling for this game, excitement or dread? Or both?

2 or 3 weeks back I was quite excited, thinking, let's just get the season started. A good solid start could brighten everyone around here up a bit, draw some attention away from the complete and utter mess of everything else associated with the club etc.

I must admit though, the closer we get to saturday, the more fearful I am of more doom and gloom.

Can't see who we can rely on to hit the net on a regular basis. Can't see any clean sheets on the horizon either.

Then again, we have a new croation fitness coach. So we should win handily!

So what are we looking at in a team?

--------------Robinson

Orr------Hanley---Givet----Olsson

----------Murphy---Ettuhu

-Vukcevic---Rochina----Pedersen

--------------Goodwillie

Striker aside that's a pretty good team for this level to be honest

Hanley will never get chosen over Dann Joey when both are fit. Olsson is injured for this match whilst Rochina is reportedly some way off full match fitness. I'd also be amazed if Vukcevic plays.

My prediction for the team this weekend:

--------------Robinson

Lowe------Dann---Givet----Orr

----------Murphy---Etuhu

-Formica---Gomes----Nunes

--------------CKR

Not who I'd go with, but options are limited with certain players out. I'd be surprised if this isn't the team - maybe Pedersen instead of Nunes or Murphy (if not recovered from injury).

I'm excited to have our beloved club playing competitively again, but I've held back on any sort of prediction for the season. I just hope the team does its best and isn't affected too much by outside influences.

Indeed.

Archived