SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] GAME THREAD - Hull City Home 12/13

22/08/12 Ewood Park

Facebook Event - http://www.facebook.com/events/421808207855985/

Preview - By "A cup of beans", below

Team - Not yet confirmed

Report - Available after the game

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Manager

New Hull City manager –‘The incredibly handsome and charismatic’ Steve Bruce- is already under pressure from the clubs owners.

This week, VICE Chairman Ehab Allam, told the Hull Daily Mail.

"We need to be in the Premier League next season and I don't see any reason why we can't be."

"With the manager we've recruited and the additions we've made, we should have a very realistic chance of getting into the Premier League.

"We wouldn't have put this level of investment in over the summer if that wasn't our target or I didn't think it was realistic. The investment is to get us there.

"It has to be more than just a possibility getting into the Premier League; it has to be a very realistic chance. Steve knows we've brought him in to get us promoted and he fully accepts that."

The owners (The Elam family) have a family fortune of around £400M and appear to be as ambitious as they are wealthy.

Bruce will also hope they are not as ruthless!

New Signings

Last season Hull only scored 47 in 46 games - with Matty Fryatt- scoring 16 of them.

*Matty Fryatt is the 2nd cousin of former Rovers’ player Jim Fryatt.

Maybe those who saw Jim play have some fond recollections?*

*Also Hull’s new Assistant Manager is Steve Agnew . -Rovers Record £700,000 Signing back in back in 1991. He made about as many appearances as Myles Anderson (2).

A great LET article and interview (where Agnew says some nice things about Rovers)

http://www.lancashir...ack_Walker_era/

Anyway, back to signings…

To help cure Hull’s shyness in front of goal, Bruce has splashed out £2.6M on relatively unknown 'German Hitman’ Nick Proschwitz.

The 6ft 3 inch forward, was Top Scorer in the German 2nd Division, last season,

Scoring 17 goals in 33 games for SC Paderborn.

Youtube Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNQRWdVudc8

Proschwitz is renowned for his aerial prowess and having impressive pace.

Although, he hasn’t made an impressive start.

“Nick Proschwitz looked a little bit by-passed by the game – but his penalty was easily the best in a general high standard shoot-out.”

http://- Hull City F...mbernectar.org,

Bruce is also appealing for patience.

http://www.thisishul...></span></span>

Other Summer Arrivals include; Goalkeeper Ben Amos (Predictably signed from Man Utd) and ‘Man- Mountain’ Abdoulaye Faye.

Family Reunion

‘Doting Dad’ Steve has also signed his son, Alex Bruce, for a second time.

He was released by Man United’s Academy at 16.

He was released by Rovers in 2005

He then.. suddenly… signed a Premiership contract with Birmingham City in 2005.

Did I hear someone say “Nepotism”?

Predictably, Steve has protested; “He makes a very good free transfer”

Alex has said “Water off a ducks back.”

I’m sure it is (especially when he looks at his bank balance).

Club Legend

John "Jackie" Smith

Smith was one of the most prolific goal-scorers in the history of Hull City, notching 102 goals from only 168 outings for the club.

His 32 goals in 1909–10 made him the top goal-scorer in Europe that season.

He went on to play for Sheffield United, Nottingham Forest, York City and Nelson!

Following the outbreak of World War I, Smith was enlisted in the York & Lancaster Regiment and was just 29 years old when killed in action during the early days of September 1916, leaving a widow and six children.

Two of his sons Jack Smith and Jim Smith went on to play professional Rugby League for Hull Kingston Rovers.

Reasons to Dislike Hull City

Their Tiger-print Kit

hull-city-home-shirt-1993-to-1994-s_1495_1_500x400_display_image.jpg?1312474495

Phil Brown

tom-brown682_810858a.jpg

Terrible singer. Terrible tan. Terrible pundit.

“Why ... for the life of me ... hasn't Pirlo played in England?

Is he just homophobic? Is he Italian through and through and doesn't want to leave them?"

Padiham’s Hide-and- Seek- Champion’ Andy Payton

Payton scored, for Hull City, against Rovers, in “The Rumbalows Cup” In 1991.

I was there that night, stood in the Nuttall Street. I remember Mimms charging out of his goal, Payton rounding him, before rolling it into an empty net, from a long way out.

Prediction

Difficult.

For the first time in almost 30 years I’m not enthused at all.

I’m also going to Ipswich, though most of me wonders “Why?”

The crowd against Hull (1991) would’ve been around 6,000.

There won’t be many more Rovers fans on Ewood this time around.

Rovers lost to Ipswich at Ewood 10 days after the Hull game and Don Mackay was sacked.

Should Rovers start the season equally poorly, I’m left hoping for lucky omens.

Cheers.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've also signed Sone Aluko from the club formerly known as Rangers who is a pretty decent, tricky winger as well as a diving scumbag.

I can't remember where Hull finished last season but I don't think it was too far from the playoff positions.....1-1 draw.....I predict we're gonna draw a lot of games this season, most of them being 1-1 or 2-2.

When this game kicks off I will be supping a large glass of Sangria in the warmth of Spain and no doubt will not have a single thought as to what is happening at a "dead" Ewood Park.

I really dont think KEANSCUM can outwit Bumbling BRUCE.

1-2 and a second defeat on the spin

Would say a very positive draw and getting into the box more than them, but can't really predict until I see the strange betting fluctuations on corners , free kicks , own goals, no shots on goal etc on various far east and Asian betting sites just before kick off and after the maestro has received and forwarded his half time instructions.

1-2 defeat.

Kean makes Bruce look like Jose Mourinho. Bruce knows that fielding 11 players for the game will most likely be enough to outwit Kean.

The Ipswich game will be pretty telling as to lineups, fitness, tactics (do we have any) so my attitude might change after Sat but I doubt it. If the team can actually run for 90mins without looking like they are running through treacle it would be a start.

Thanks for a good preview. I'd forgotten about Alex Bruce another Smalling. What a strip!!

I've heard we're hiring a new Croatian fitness coach.....can anyone confirm this?.....although it will take a while to make our players fit again.... particularly Robinson and Goodwillie.

Any updates? he will have to be fluent in Portugese to understand Kean and the squad.

Jim, Jim, bang one in. He scored in my first ever game, Man City home, in the FA cup 1969.

And what a magnificent header it was at the BBE to make it 1-1 at that stage.

Mercer / Allison's City just then stepped-up a gear and won 4-1 in a canter.

About 40,000 on Ewood that night and an electric atmosphere.

• Backroom

1-0 Hull. I genuinely don't see how anybody who watched us play today could predict anything more than a draw. We have no pace, no skill and no tactical shape. We have some industrial players in the middle, but it's not enough.

Anything other than three points will put Kean under massive, massive pressure.

And Leicester at home will not be easy.

That said, I think Rovers will smash this out of the park. 4-0.

Gomes 2, Kazim 2.

Kean gets a new contract.

Archived