BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] GAME THREAD - Hull City Home 12/13

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That promotion side was some team.

As soon as Flitcroft started that comeback against Wimbledon, that was it ... BOOM! No looking back.

A squad packed with skill and determination, a amanger everyone could believe in, the crowd united behind them.

No greater contrast with the cataclysmic sleep-walking miasma of dung and slurry that we are currently blessed with.

the difference between the chumpionship and the premiership is that premiership teams would have put 1 or 2 away with the chances they created, chumpionship teams on the whole don't have a striker capable of converting their chances, thats why kean will be let off the hook, not because he is a good manager but because chumpionship teams are 90% ######

The word in bold might just be the reason you, like so many other teams, end up struggling. It is simple arrogance like this that leads to teams losing games they should win, and win easily, against the divisions minnows like Burnley, Barnsley, Millwall etc. You just better hope your players have more respect for the division and the opposition it is going to throw your way than you do.

On the striker front, is that a serious statement? At Burnley alone we have Charlie Austin who has a record of a goal every other game in his career. He scored 18 league goals in 34 appearances last season for us, with only 13 starts and in a team that struggled for large parts of the season and only managed to finish 13th. Oh and for the record he's scored in all 3 games this season (which includes the League Cup tie of course). Yeah so you are right, no strikers in this division who can take their chances.

Austin is one of those players that just seems to have a habit of being in the right place, every time. He looks like one of those that will score goals at any level. Main issue is his dodgy shoulder but personally I'd want double for Austin what Rhodes is worth right now. May feel differently come the seasons end, who knows but Austin has already been a steal for us.

In fact, right this minute, that is one area of our team I wouldn't swap for any of yours. In Austin and Paterson we have 2 excellent forward players in this division - if Ings gets fit he will be even better IMO. Not sure about Vokes yet

Blimey, a victory and a clean sheet. Looking good if we aren't out of first gear yet!

How do you know we arent out of first gear?

The time to tell what gear we are in now will be October, we could be in reverse gear by then, there is an excuse early season to snap at chances and fire wide or over, in my opinion however, there is no excuse for not creating chances!!

Austin is one of those players that just seems to have a habit of being in the right place, every time. He looks like one of those that will score goals at any level. Main issue is his dodgy shoulder but personally I'd want double for Austin what Rhodes is worth right now. May feel differently come the seasons end, who knows but Austin has already been a steal for us.

In fact, right this minute, that is one area of our team I wouldn't swap for any of yours. In Austin and Paterson we have 2 excellent forward players in this division - if Ings gets fit he will be even better IMO. Not sure about Vokes yet

Austin has a great strike record and Patterson is very direct, not seen much of Ings so cant comment, as you say, Austin looks a special talent but very vunerable to redislocating his shoulder which happened to Bryan Robson a few times in his career, having said that, Bryan Robson didnt do too badly did he?

Hello Longers, did you say in some thread that this is the best Championship in 10 years in terms of quality? If so, i'm not sure you're right. There don't seem to be any real stand- out teams this season(with stand-out players), like West Ham, Swansea, Soton, Reading etc of the past few years. I think this year will be the most equal in the Championship for years. The potential 'big spenders' like Leicester and Forest aren't anywhere near as good as the teams promoted in recent years. Of the teams that have come down Wolves have just sold their 2 best players and have a untried manager in English footy, Bolton are pretty average and skint, and Rovers have the worst manager in the history of football and a flimsy and unbalanced looking squad(where the best players are past it and the younger ones might not be good enough). I honestly think automatic promotion is possible for half the teams in the league. Blackpool would be my favourites if Holloway stays.

Blimey, a victory and a clean sheet. Looking good if we aren't out of first gear yet!

Hull game-Apart from a lively opening few minutes both teams fell out of gear into neutral for an hour until the goal was scored and after the we did the usual sit back and defend but luckily for once subs where made at the right time in this game so there where no exhausted players out there.

That promotion side was some team.

As soon as Flitcroft started that comeback against Wimbledon, that was it ... BOOM! No looking back.

A squad packed with skill and determination, a amanger everyone could believe in, the crowd united behind them.

No greater contrast with the cataclysmic sleep-walking miasma of dung and slurry that we are currently blessed with.

Spot on Bryan. And therein lies the difference. Just about the diametric opposite of our present situation.

Hello Longers, did you say in some thread that this is the best Championship in 10 years in terms of quality? If so, i'm not sure you're right. There don't seem to be any real stand- out teams this season(with stand-out players), like West Ham, Swansea, Soton, Reading etc of the past few years. I think this year will be the most equal in the Championship for years. The potential 'big spenders' like Leicester and Forest aren't anywhere near as good as the teams promoted in recent years. Of the teams that have come down Wolves have just sold their 2 best players and have a untried manager in English footy, Bolton are pretty average and skint, and Rovers have the worst manager in the history of football and a flimsy and unbalanced looking squad(where the best players are past it and the younger ones might not be good enough). I honestly think automatic promotion is possible for half the teams in the league. Blackpool would be my favourites if Holloway stays.

In my defence I said on paper. I base this on the fact that the three relegated teams HAD largely kept their squads together or, in your case, had added what look like experienced quality. Since then I accept Wolves losing Fletcher and Jarvis weakens them. In addition I'd expect Leicester investment over the last few seasons to start to gel, and in theory Forest being strong. The promoted teams often do well and in Charlton and Sheff Weds I was expecting a strong challenge. Then you throw Birmingham into the mix - though lord knows just what might happen there. Then as you say Holloway has a certain knack with Blackpool. Then add in Boro who are generally strong and not forgetting Watford and the possible Zola effect and the media darlings that are Brighton and last but not least Cardiff who have been strong for seasons and look like being so again. I also had a sneeking feeling Huddersfiled would do well to.

So looking from a Burnley perspective that represents around 12 teams out of 23 who I imagined being stronger than us. I can't remember a season where I've felt there were that many potentially strong teams.

Of course it might not pan out like this, football has a habit of springing surprises. I'll look again after 10/12 games and see how accurate my guesses were.

Archived