BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] GAME THREAD - Leicester City Home 12/13

Although looking at the league table is generally a pretty pointless exercise at this point, Leicester City find themselves joint top, and are widely expected to remain there or there abouts. The bookies favourites for the Championship title got off to a decent start against Peterborough on Saturday, registering a 2-0 win thanks to a Wes Morgan header and a nicely taken goal from welsh international and academy graduate, Andy King.

In a situation which may sound a little familiar, their pre-season was disrupted somewhat by the postponement of a game due to a "risk of serious disorder"... although they only went as far as Lincoln. Unlike Rovers however, they started off their league campaign with three points. With Peterborough having a decent amount of possession, while failing to create a great deal, this is often the sort of match the fancied teams struggle in. By all accounts, it wasn't the prettiest of games, but anyone with aspirations of getting out of this league will certainly have to "win ugly" at times.

It is worth remembering during these trying times, that the Championship is largely made up of clubs who have lived through varying levels of turmoil in recent years; turmoil that is usually the result of idiotic or irresponsible owners. Recent times have been tough for the Foxes: administration in 2002, due to relegation, the building of a new stadium, saw club legend become saviour, when Gary Lineker lead a consortium who took over the club, and saw them win promotion. This return to the top-flight was short lived, with Leicester being relegated again the following season, and aside from the one and only brief foray into the third tier in their history, they have been lodged in the Championship ever since. Milan Mandric's takeover in 2007 saw a ludicrous bout of managerial changes (in that calendar year alone, four different me held the job, Gary Megson for just six weeks). Current owner Vichai Raksriaksorn of the King Power Group has put his money where his mouth is. After the failed Sven experiment, he has turned to Nigel Pearson, who is back in his second spell as manager, and backed him well. Some much needed stability as been instilled, and expectations are high.

After a couple of years of serious spending, the Leicester squad has been trimmed a little, and now looks one very capable of promotion. In Kaper Schmeichel, the Foxes have one of the most capable goalkeepers at this level. His distribution is a real asset, and something opponents will need to be aware of. Captain Wes Mogan has grown into a really dominant centre half, and Paul Konchesky has quietly gone about his business, and looks to have put his Anfield nightmare behind him. Former Man Utd trainee Danny Drinkwater is a regular in midfield, and will most likely start ahead of former Rover Neil Danns. Despite having strikers like David Nugent and Jermaine Beckford on their books, Jamie Vardy, a million-plus summer signing from Fleetwood, may be the one to watch. Despite alegedly being hailed as Beckham-esque by Sven, it is unlikely Paul Gallagher will get a run out at Ewood, despite having notched up over 100 games for the foxes, and having a very decent scoring rate considering he has been primarily used out wide.

There are literally dozens of players who have played for both Rovers and Leicester. Some Great (Derek Dougan), some not so much (Ashley Ward). Here is my Rovers/Leicster dream team of the last 20 years:

Tim Flowers

John Curtis Simon Grayson Nils-Eric Johansson Callum Davidson

Keith Gillespie Robbie Savage Craig Hignett Jason Wilcox

David Speedie Paul Dickov

I couldn't possibly write this preview without mentioning the biggest game between the two sides there will ever be. The 1991-92 play-off final is something that will live in the memories of all who were there forever. It irks me when people, especially Rovers fans, still harp on about Speedie diving (it was a "stone-waller", and not even Speedie himself could convince me otherwise!). To overlook the spirited, committed performances of the players that day really does them a disservice. Plenty of Labore and a bit of Arte was what got us the win on that day, and that is exactly what we'll need if we're to get anywhere near promotion this season. Sadly, I think we are lacking on both counts.

A little bit of Trivia I'll leave you with...

In the last 10 years, Leicester have parted company with 9 managers. None of them had a worse record than Steve Kean.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time I remember us playing Leicester was in about 2004 and we won 1-0 and scored from a Nikos Dabizas own goal if I remember correctly.

Just looked it up and we played them the next season in the quarter finals of the FA Cup where Dickov scored against his old team and we won 1-0 again.

Since that play-off win we've played each other 14 times; won 5, lost 4 and drawn 5.....our overall record at home though is played 46; won 25, lost 8, drawn 13.

I don't know too much about their team.....if Kasper Schemeicel is half as good as his dad he will take some beating....St Ledger isn't a bad defender who I kind of hoped we had signed....Beckford I am undecided about....he does have ability but can be quite lazy from what I've seen and his first touch isn't great...he could win a few headers though......David Nugent is pretty awful in the the Prem but this could be his level.......but it's our first game against real promotion candidates so this will give us the clearest indication of how far off we are from them.....3-1 Leicester.

Interestingly, one player not mentioned who played for both clubs, would have been in good company at Rovers theses days, Alan Birchenall, came for his last meal ticket, good player in his day, knackered at Rovers though!!

Great preview by the way!!

Play-off final was pay-back for the home game in late 91 I think it was. We paggered Leaicester only for them to win at the death with a lucky Kevin Russell goal.

I was at Ewood that day. Utterly gutting.

Was that the Bobby Mimms miss kick?

Yep.

Bobby came steaming out, but don't think he miss-kicked it so much as was just unlucky to strike Russell in the chest and I think it looped over Mimms' shoulder for Russell to run on.

Actually, I think it was the first season a keeper couldnt pick up a backpass, for older keepers it was a problem and for Mimms, probably hampered his career from then onwards, his kicking wasnt the best!!

Yep.

Bobby came steaming out, but don't think he miss-kicked it so much as was just unlucky to strike Russell in the chest and I think it looped over Mimms' shoulder for Russell to run on.

Remember it and suddenly seeing the emergence of a bunch of Leicester scrotes in the Riverside celebrating amongst the shocked early going home brigade.

Another Leicester win was Duff's brilliant debut as an 18 year old which was totally overshadowed by a stunning hattrick by man mountain 19 year old Heskey in a 4-2 last day of season result. Heskey was awesome that day.

23rd August 1994-Almost 18 years ago to the day-Rovers THREE Leicester City NIL

Chris Suttons first goal for Rovers follwoing a British Transfer fee record signing.

Yes folks, that was 18 years ago now. :(

Great preview, Miller.

Remember it well, Ozz.

I went to Florida the following morning

One of Ewoods best atmospheres.

Robbie Slater had a stormer too.

23rd August 1994-Almost 18 years ago to the day-Rovers THREE Leicester City NIL

Chris Suttons first goal for Rovers follwoing a British Transfer fee record signing.

Yes folks, that was 18 years ago now. :(

The passage of time is indeed a frightening thing....and also to think of the calibre of player we used to have.

A scrappy 1-1 here infront of around 15,000

Looks like kaz will be injured for this one :(. We will get beaten easily by Leicester, they are pretty good team. Rated as one of the favourites to go up.

They are a complete Jekyll and Hyde of a football team. They where top favourites last season and look what happened there. They will win a few and lose a few early on before settling down I reckon, so in my opinion they are there for the taking...it just depends which Leicester City turn up for it. It could be a real test for Rovers or it could be another scrappy game that we maange to get a point / win out of,

Personally I think it'll be a draw, 1-1 again.

Archived