BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Current Squad V 2001 Promotion Squad

Lots of people think we have one of the strongest squads in this league. I think it’s very poor.

In 2001 we got promoted second with this squad which was added too astutely during the year by a certain Mr. Souness, who I would like to see telling the current board/owners what we need now.

John Filan

Brad Friedel

Alan Miller

Craig Short

Henning Berg

Stig Inge Bjørnebye

Marlon Broomes

John Curtis

Martin Taylor

Jim Corbett

Jonathon Douglas

Damien Duff

David Dunn

Darren Dunning

Garry Flitcroft

Keith Gillespie

Damien Johnson

Marc Keller

Alan Mahon

Jason McAteer

Burton O'Brien

Eyal Berkovic

Nathan Blake

Gary Hamilton

Craig Hignett

Mark Hughes

Matthew Jansen

Marc Richards

Marcus Bent

So on April fools day we faced Burnley with this squad which I’ve compared to the one out yesterday against Hull and scored 5 against them

Brad Friedel 9/10 v Paul Robinson 7/10: Friedel was a great keeper - and still is. Couldn’t understand why we signed him at the time as Filan 7/10 was also a very good keeper. I love Robbo but he can’t catch and is rooted at free kicks – No contest.

John Curtis 8/10 v Bradley Orr 4/10: ‘Who’s John Curtis?’ I said. Curtis was a fine player but a bit small for most managers. Moved on as Souey made way for the Premiership but still would stiffen the current defence a lot. Bradley Orr… ‘..he’s a effin player..’ well no he isn’t, sorry. Limited freebie.

Henning Berg 9/10 v Scott Dann 5/5: ‘Why do we want him back?’ I asked. Berg re-turned from his Scum adventure fit and versatile. A great defender even in his 30’s.

Craig Short 9/10 v Gael Givet 9/10: ‘How old!’ but Shorty organised and with Berg stiffened a weak defence giving a backbone for more creative talents. Givet in my book is just as good. I’d get a proper centre half in and play him as a mobile sweeper. Murphy could be dumped for another forward midfielder because last night he was way too deep.

Jason McAteer 6/10 v Marcus Olssen 5/10: Giving it to dandruff boy as he was overhyped but had played at a much higher level much longer.

Garry Flitcroft 7 V Dixon Etuhu 6/10 Again Flitty’s getting this as he could hold a midfield position and when Souness turned him into a stopper he stopped better people than you’ll find in this league. I didn’t realise we had Etuhu on our books once but it seems so. Wasn’t impressed with his overall involvement and he seemed to want to play in Murphy’s space all the time and gave no forward momentum.

David Dunn 9/10 v Danny Murphy 5/10 No contest. That David Dunn looked to be going on to greater things at the time. Sharp, creative, and gave forward momentum, and the best midfielder of his type in the league bar the guy at Fulham (was it Sean Davies?). Murphy looked leggy last night and this will have been spotted last night by other scouts. Geriatric midfielders are not what we need now. Mid field general? Your clutching at straws here folks.

Alan Mahon 7/10 v Jason Lowe 5/10 I like Lowe but Mahon was a revelation for a short time, and he never got played regularly due to an ankle injury and better players being about (Berkovic, Piglett). Lowe looks one for the future, but Souness would not look beyond next week for a player as he was given a timescale for promotion of 1 year.

Damien Duff 9.5/10 V Fabio Nunes 5/10 No contest. The Academy Director told me Souey thought Duff was the most important player in the squad at the time – bar non. Fast as hell, creative, and could score. Far too good for that league. Nunes looks okay to me but needs to stay on his feet and work hard. One for the future again.

Matt Jansen 8/10 v David Dunn 4/10 Matt was talented alright – but was sub early on and for the first Burnley game, didn’t work hard enough for Souey so he taught him a lesson, and how he learned! But I’ve given a season mark here. Poor old Dunny – his head says go and then his legs eventually respond. It’s like not taking your dog to the vets when you know it’s time - gutting.

Marcus Bent 9/10 v CKR 7/10 Bent was great at this level and in my book was unlucky Souey wanted the best money could buy (as ever) for the Prem or he’d have made a decent squad player. Bit lazy at times but got goals and along with Hughes got Matt Jansen focussed. CKR is a right winger from Bury who looks better than I thought he would on first showings but not in the class of the three here.

Stig Inge Bjornebye 8/10

Craig Hignett 9/10

Mark Hughes 9/10 (too old for us I thought – Mmmm Humble pie never tasted so good!)

Our subs yesterday – 4/10 max for each.

Manager: G. Souness 9/10 V The Great Deluded One A good tactician who could bully lazy players, the opposition and the boards alike. Never let a rubbish signing get to him! Or a muppet. No contest

So in my book, on current evidence, at the moment we have a couple of good players, a geriatric midfield and not much hope.

Could someone please give me a little more hope and tell me why this current squad is a strong squad?

So why do people keep saying the current squad is good enough to get us up? I just don't get it at all.

Eh? The quality of the league in 2001 is irrelevant to what is required for promotion in 2012.

Compare our squad against other Championship squads, that would actually mean something.

Plus I think you've got a rose-tinted view of that 2001 squad. 9/10 for a striker that scored 8 goals? Generous to say the least. Kazim-Richards has already scored a quarter of that amount and we're still in August.

Eh? The quality of the league in 2001 is irrelevant to what is required for promotion in 2012.

Compare our squad against other Championship squads, that would actually mean something.

Plus I think you've got a rose-tinted view of that 2001 squad. 9/10 for a striker that scored 8 goals? Generous to say the least. Kazim-Richards has already scored a quarter of that amount and we're still in August.

There's a big difference between the quality of players LeC - anyone can see that. As for the quality of the league there might be a difference, but if that squad only finished second, then it's probable that the league too was stronger then.

Comparisons between teams from different eras are futile in many ways but there's no denying that besides having more basic talent the 2001 squad was young, hungry and full of running - everything that this current squad does not have. Watching the present team is like watching veterans football on a Sunday morning - good to start with but then runs out of puff as the match wears on. Ipswich's young side were a case in point and should have beaten us easily.

No comparison.

correct, close the thread, it must be insulting to the 2001 squad

Pretty much these thoughts.

The biggest difference for me between the two squads if the attacking quality in that side. Duffer was world class, Hughes still offered a hell of a lot at that age, Jansen was a huge talent and Dunny was in his prime. No contest between the managers as well, Souness was a great manager at Rovers before his abrasive personality contributed towards friction in the team.

I know the league has moved on and it is difficult to compare teams from different eras. However I reckon that team transported to 2012 would paste this current team if it met them and do pretty well in this division.

The 2001 squad is vastly better than what we have now.

However, including the players who never get a look in (look at the revelation of Bruno last night!) we might have a squad good enough to get back up this season if we had a manager and not somebody who is costing us in 95% of the games we play.

CKR isn't fit to lace any of that trio's boots, but you'll find we need to beat similar types of scrapping teams this year, and teams like Fulham were, well led and resourced and not relying on freebies, journeymen and Portuguese waiters. Look out for Blackpool Leicester (the real test will be Saturday) and Forest for the promotion teams.

The 2001 squad is vastly better than what we have now.

However, including the players who never get a look in (look at the revelation of Bruno last night!) we might have a squad good enough to get back up this season if we had a manager and not somebody who is costing us in 95% of the games we play.

Does Kean pick the team - I'm beginning to think it's Karen Swift or someone in the accounts department. Don't be fooled by Bruno. He was up against poor players last night.

I think this is a worthwhile comparison, as it makes a very good point. Our 2001 squad had just the right mix of exciting prospects (Duff and Dunn in particular), players at their peak (Jansen) and experienced pros (Berg, Short, Flitcroft). In our current squad, the prospects are middle of the road (Lowe, Olsson, Hanely, Henley etc) or completely unknown quantities/agent pocket liners (all the young Portuguese gang), the "experienced pros" are utterly average (Dann, Orr), and the old heads can barely run anymore (looking at you, David Dunn). And the manager... well, the manager.

For all the talk from the deluded one about building a team that the rest of the Championship will be scared of, in my view we've ended up with a threadbare squad lacking in real quality (unfortunate Best injury notwithstanding).

Pretty much these thoughts.

The biggest difference for me between the two squads if the attacking quality in that side. Duffer was world class, Hughes still offered a hell of a lot at that age, Jansen was a huge talent and Dunny was in his prime. No contest between the managers as well, Souness was a great manager at Rovers before his abrasive personality contributed towards friction in the team.

I know the league has moved on and it is difficult to compare teams from different eras. However I reckon that team transported to 2012 would paste this current team if it met them and do pretty well in this division.

In the interests of a sporting fairness the current lot would have to be allowed to improve their basic fitness levels. However the result would be the same.

BUT how comparable is this squad to the 99/00 squad?

Exactly the point I was going to make: the comparison should be between the squad and manager now with the squad that Kidd started the first season down with. Rating our new signings after 2 games - did Prof watch both games live by the way? - and comparing to players we saw for years is ludicrous. Compare the Souness promotion squad a year after we have had a decent manager with an open chequebook

Nobody would ever say this team was better than the 2001 team.....we had the best keeper in England since Scheimechel/Seaman as well as Duff, Dunn and Jansen to name a few......but a few of this team have played once or twice and I don't think Kean has ever put out the strongest 11.....plus there's absolutely no way of determining whether that team would get promoted today or this team back then.....and we can only judge these players under Kean....barring Robbo, Givet and Dunn.....CKR scores 2 in 2, was one of, if not the, best players in the games and gets a 7, Marcus Bent a 9....Robbo a 7? Orr a 4? I wouldn't really disagree if that was the other way round....maybe a 5 for Robbo.

I still think Duff is really good now.

He was brilliant last weekend against norwich.

I always remember his debut I think against Everton when he scored? 3-2 I think we won, probably one of the best performances ive ever seen in a rovers shirt. Great day out that!

Archived