BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Respect

Boner

As a group of fans we've been through a lot in recent times. Each week is seems there's been a new sideshow to the BRFC circus. There have been disagreements - marchers/non-marchers, protesters/non-protesters, and the most recent, attenders/non attenders. There have been pages and pages written not just on this site but many others about the pros and cons of each. Discussions have been heated at times and have sometimes descended into pettiness, but in the last week or two there seems to be a much more unpleasant undertone that I've found increasingly uncomfortable. It's the usual subjects, just with more... nastiness. Things such as:

If you do/don't attend then you're not a "real" fan.

If you do/don't chant "kean out" during a match then you're not helping the cause.

If you don't attend a match (for whatever reason) then your opinion on the match is worthless.

I've seen a lot of this on twitter the last 1-2 weeks, and to a certain extent on this site. And I'd rather not discuss the rights or wrongs of attendance/whatever here either. The reason for the post is I'd just like to know if I'm the only one who has noticed the above, and if not what's the cause, and how can we as a community try and put this right.

tl;dr why can't we all just get along?

In life, no matter what the issue or subject, it is almost certain that there will always be differences of opinion. If there weren't, life would be pretty boring. However, differences should be articulated in a civil and respectful manner.

What Boner has described is, IMO, symptomatic of a dysfunctional organisation (BRFC) which is hardly surprising given a poor and classless ownership and management.

All the concerns Boner has raised will continue to fester until the boil is lanced. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening soon.

In life, no matter what the issue or subject, it is almost certain that there will always be differences of opinion. If there weren't, life would be pretty boring. However, differences should be articulated in a civil and respectful manner.

What Boner has described is, IMO, symptomatic of a dysfunctional organisation (BRFC) which is hardly surprising given a poor and classless ownership and management.

All the concerns Boner has raised will continue to fester until the boil is lanced. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening soon.

The way Rovers fans are treating each other is IMO symptomatic of a dysfunctional society.

I'm happy for people to frown upon my choice to renew my ST and carry on attending games. What does wind me up is people that have chose not to attend labelling people like myself 'Rovers Fans' and saying how stupid we are for lining Venkys pockets etc. I won't be forced out of Ewood by anyone, its a way of life for me and the people I go with simple as that. I'm not pro-Kean or Venkys by any stretch of the imagination and never will be. Quite enjoyed last night, not because it was a thrilling game but banter, beer and football is the perfect mix.

I'm glad someone has posted something along these lines! I don't think it is right for anyone to judge anyone else for what they choose to do or not do - that is up to the individual concerned and I'm sure that to go to games or not, chant or not etc most people have considered long and hard what they think is justifiably right in their own minds. The thought that people genuinely think that taking one stance or another makes either person "not a fan" of Blackburn Rovers is in my opinion perhaps the most frustrating thing of all! If we weren't fans none of us would care at all, let alone go to games, moan (publically or in private), grumble whatever!

I have my own, individual opinion about what I want to do and what I think is right and I don't think that having a go at someone for having a different opinion will help much and as such I would hope not to receive flak back.

I find it really hard when I see fans of the same club arguing amongst each other about who is the "real fan" because at the end of the day I would imagine if you asked every supporter of Rovers the same question: "what do you want for your team on the pitch?" the answers would be remarkably similar.

Unfortunately the bulk of judgements are coming from fans who have chosen to boycott. Every thread contains remarks criticising those attending games.

Personally I'm no longer interested as the debate has become circular and stale but the undercurrent remains that some boycotters see their position as the moral highground

Stop looking inward Boner. Without a doubt the owners have caused this division not the vast majority of the supporters who were quite happy with the situation 2 years ago. One is either 'for em' or one is 'against them' and that's that.

Unfortunately the bulk of judgements are coming from fans who have chosen to boycott. Every thread contains remarks criticising those attending games.

Personally I'm no longer interested as the debate has become circular and stale but the undercurrent remains that some boycotters see their position as the moral highground

Rather a strange comment coming from you Paul, given that you informed us that you wouldn't have renewed but for the sake of not wanting to deny Tom.

As a group of fans we've been through a lot in recent times. Each week is seems there's been a new sideshow to the BRFC circus. There have been disagreements - marchers/non-marchers, protesters/non-protesters, and the most recent, attenders/non attenders. There have been pages and pages written not just on this site but many others about the pros and cons of each. Discussions have been heated at times and have sometimes descended into pettiness, but in the last week or two there seems to be a much more unpleasant undertone that I've found increasingly uncomfortable. It's the usual subjects, just with more... nastiness. Things such as:

If you do/don't attend then you're not a "real" fan.

If you do/don't chant "kean out" during a match then you're not helping the cause.

If you don't attend a match (for whatever reason) then your opinion on the match is worthless.

I've seen a lot of this on twitter the last 1-2 weeks, and to a certain extent on this site. And I'd rather not discuss the rights or wrongs of attendance/whatever here either. The reason for the post is I'd just like to know if I'm the only one who has noticed the above, and if not what's the cause, and how can we as a community try and put this right.

tl;dr why can't we all just get along?

No, you're not the only one to notice this no win situation.

I'm happy for people to frown upon my choice to renew my ST and carry on attending games. What does wind me up is people that have chose not to attend labelling people like myself 'Rovers Fans' and saying how stupid we are for lining Venkys pockets etc. I won't be forced out of Ewood by anyone, its a way of life for me and the people I go with simple as that. I'm not pro-Kean or Venkys by any stretch of the imagination and never will be. Quite enjoyed last night, not because it was a thrilling game but banter, beer and football is the perfect mix.

My sentiments too.

No I don't think that the boycotters are taking the moral high ground, rather they think that the 'Rovers Fans' are spoiling the effect of what they are trying to do by attending. The higher the percentage of the boycott, the more effective it is. It is hard to stay away and they feel they are being let down by the ones who attend. It's a bit like blacklegging at a strike.

i have said this in the past , and will say it again...

the club must be laughing at the fans - never has Divide and Conquer seemed to work so well

As fans, we all must want the same for our club, rid of the owners & manager and try to stabilize to what we once had

Just becuase some go on, not on, chant , not chant etc, we must all stick together...... the more we infight the better the clubs hands are.

Glen Mullen and Co are doing a great job, under very difficult circumstances.....

C`Mon lads lets all pull together...

No I don't think that the boycotters are taking the moral high ground, rather they think that the 'Rovers Fans' are spoiling the effect of what they are trying to do by attending. The higher the percentage of the boycott, the more effective it is. It is hard to stay away and they feel they are being let down by the ones who attend. It's a bit like blacklegging at a strike.

Well I'm glad you aren't trying to take the moral high ground then. :rolleyes:

It would have been much less painful 12 months ago if those 10,000 boycotters had found the time or inclination to march from one of the local pubs less than half a mile away or joined the Community March from the town hall.

But instead the vast, vast majority of those 10,000 (Ten Thousand, FFS) were happy to allow Kean and his cronies call it a "minority of fans" who were against them.

I guess they had their reasons though, I mean who would want to miss the Arsenal v Chelsea match and bit of a beer tent the club threw up...

Stop looking inward Boner. Without a doubt the owners have caused this division not the vast majority of the supporters who were quite happy with the situation 2 years ago. One is either 'for em' or one is 'against them' and that's that.

No.

No criticism of yourself Paul, but I think the moral high ground is being claimed by the extremes of both sides of the argument. What I really find is a shame is that both sides don't see the common ground, that the removal of Venkys and Kean should be uniting the fans.

Archived