BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] worst striker you have seen at ewood?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dwight Cole huh? ^_^

Sorry, just got back off my hols and my head is still in Espana. I meant Dwight Yorke of course. Souey reckoned him returning to his old stomping ground would re-vitalise him but he reckoned wrong ! He was suffering from a Jordan overdose I think. I also put my error down to the memory of a game against Sunderland at Ewood when Cole and Yorke played up front together. It was the first game of the season and it was blisteringly hot. The only time I've ever broke sweat in the Jack Walker ! Cole and Yorke just stood on the halfway line about 5 yards apart and did naff all. One Sunderland centre half was marking the pair of them at the end, so they sort of merged into one !

Kevin Phillips played up front for Sunderland that day and ran his blood into water to keep our back four busy, what a contrast.

Sukur was world class.

I'd agree with that.

#1 - Corrado "Ciccio" Grabbi. 7m quid of utter crap.

Honorable mentions:

Martin Dahlin - 27 apps 4 goals

Kevin Davies - 23 apps 1 goal

Anthony Modeste - 9 apps 0 goals (and never threatened)

Robbie Fowler - 3 apps 0 goals (he was way past it when he arrived)

Francis Jeffers - 10 apps 0 goals (Can't believe he went to Arsenal for so much cash!)

Christ did Davies only make 23 appearances? Seemed a LOT more than that.

Grabbi was easily one of the worst, but he tried bloody hard and was a likeable chap so I kinda felt sorry for him.

It really does beggar belief how players like Modeste are pro footballers earning a hell of a lot more cash than us.

Surprised no mention for lolloping Jack Lewis - might not quite have been the worst but certainly one of the weirdest running styles.................

Best thing about him was him being mistaken for the infinitely more talented Keith Fear who looked similar from a distance in the 3-2 Boxing Day win at Burnley - remember somebody saying Bloody Hell !Jacks playing a blinder today not realising Fear had just signed on loan :xmas:

See Mckinnon's got a few mentions was it Telford that we bought him from? Honourable mention for Norman Bell

Seeing Sean Curry's name mentioned always brings out the red mist , when we were robbed of a league cup win down at Spurs after currie netted in the last couple of minutes and was disallowed because Spurs were a big club, that was a crap long night Journey back

Good thread, this. All the baddies have been mentioned, I think. But some thoughts about some of them..........

Grabbi had talent as did Kalinic but somehow they were not in a team that played their style of football. What about Grabbi's brilliant header against Liverpool when he came on as sub?

Jim Fryatt was an ace goalscorer for other teams such as Bradford as well as us. I thought he was OK. His sideburns made Bradley Wiggins' look like bum-fluff.

Ostenstadt didn't do as well with us as he had done at the Saints but his professionalism glowed brightly when, discarded from the first team squad by our manager, he readily trained with the youth team without one murmur of complaint until his recall to the first team. Excellent man!

I've seen the Sean Currys and the Paul McKinnons but my worst ever striker has to be Ashley Ward. I don't know why because he was probably a better footballer than some of them. He still gets my vote.

He actually scored quite a few goals but I can't remember anyone receiving the vitriol that Jimmy Quinn did.

The Ewood crowd was ruthless at times in those days.

Seem to remember him scoring a hat trick with his head away at Sheffield Utd.

Also remember that same day the Sheffield Utd fans throwing house bricks over the wall into our supporters whilst we were kept behind

For me it would have to be Ward & Jeffers

+1...completely agree.

Jeffers was absolutely terrible.... according to Wikipedia, since leaving Everton he has made 186 League appearances and scored 19 goals.......the one goal he scored for us was a penalty in the early rounds of the Uefa Cup I believe.......8 million Wenger paid for him, only 2.5 less than what he paid for Thierry Henry.....Vieira, Ljungberg, Sol Campbell, Fabregas and Song combined cost 500 grand less than Jeffers.

Ward wasn't much better.....and cost 500 grand more than McCarthy and Yakubu combined.

Archived