BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] worst striker you have seen at ewood?

I thought Mame Biram Diouf was poor. Looked quick and full of running but must have worn Herman Munsters boots when it came to shooting.

I didn't think so when he got that hat trick on his debut against Norwich.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think so when he got that hat trick on his debut against Norwich.

I'd forgotten that! But that would be typical of Rovers luck, shines on his debut to get our hopes up and then turns out to be the new John OMara !

He was a midfielder though.

I always hated Matt Derbyshire (as a player). Certainly one of those who wore "I'm a local lad" body armour.

Agree with that.

Derbyshire could finish, but he was a horrendous team player and often lost posession cheaply.

I'm a bit surprised to see Sean Curry mentioned a few times. I reckon he's miles short of being considered a "worst ever". Curry was a neat and tidy little player with solid technique. Clearly he didn't score enough and he sort of typified Rovers at the time. Decent but a long way from the real deal.

See Mckinnon's got a few mentions was it Telford that we bought him from? Honourable mention for Norman Bell

Seeing Sean Curry's name mentioned always brings out the red mist , when we were robbed of a league cup win down at Spurs after currie netted in the last couple of minutes and was disallowed because Spurs were a big club, that was a crap long night Journey back

McKinnon gets my vote, although playing Chris Samba as a striker comes a close second.

We signed McKinnon from Sutton Utd. The story I got told at the time the player that Saxton went to watch was Andy Mutch who signed for Wolves but thought that McKinnon was better so signed him.

Norman Bell was a good partner for Garner though, although like many strikers we had in the old second division. Just like now with Nuno Gomes.

Depends on how you want to determine worst striker ever:

Least talented player?

Smallest contribution for rovers?

Biggest waste of money?

Biggest waste of potential?

Most wasteful in front of goal?

Think depending on which factors you emphasise you'll get a different player or two as our worst striker.

One of the things I love about football is all the differing opinions and the debate/discussions that you can have.

Personally I think there's a few players who undeservedly get the worst tag - including Grabbi and Ward.

Ward got a few goals for us, and certainly whilst he fluffed a few chances, his goal to game ratio isn't terrible. And at least he got into those positions! Compaired to Modeste and Rigters who never really even looked like scoring or having any influence whatsoever on a game, it is very harsh to say that Ward is the worst striker ever. Guess £4m price tag doesn't help his cause.

Similarly, Grabbi was pretty involved in a lot of games and had chances to score - he even had a few good games. I do wonder what would've happened had his goal against Man Utd stood (goodness knows how it wasn't allowed) as it'd have taken a lot of pressure off him. Again his price tag doesn't help, but compaired to Modeste or Rigters, Grabbi in terms of talent and contribution is streets ahead.

Interestingly I wonder if Kuqi should get in the list for being a dreadful footballer. His first touch has to be the worst ever for a footballer, and he couldn't pass to save his life. His shooting wasn't all that either. Don't get me wrong he was decent for us, used his strength well, and tried his hardest. I rather liked him and respected he gave his all, but in terms of talent he was pretty limited to say the least.

Biggest waste of talent: for me it'd be Pongolle - Mr. wrong choice every time. So much speed, a decent shot, athletic and decent technique but seemed to always, always make the wrong decision. Worst decision making ever - he used to frustrate me so much.

Depends on how you want to determine worst striker ever:

Least talented player?

Smallest contribution for rovers?

Biggest waste of money?

Biggest waste of potential?

Most wasteful in front of goal?

Think depending on which factors you emphasise you'll get a different player or two as our worst striker.

I would agree wtih this. Those brought up watching Rovers over the last 20 years have a different idea of bad than those who watched the prior 20.

I started watching Rovers in the mid-80's as a kid and was amazed by all players, however, Jason Beckford stood out for me as being awful. He was on loan from City and didn't have it. I seem to remember the Telegraph gave him a 5 in a match report. They rarely got that low.

Stead's goals saved us the season he signed so I think it's unfair to say him. He wasn't great by any means but still.

He had a big fan club on here I remember plenty of his admirers claiming that he was Premier League quality. Needless to say I wasn't one, neither was Mark Hughes... and we were right.

He had a big fan club on here I remember plenty of his admirers claiming that he was Premier League quality. Needless to say I wasn't one, neither was Mark Hughes... and we were right.

Yes he was prolific for 'udders field before coming to Ewood. Now who else can you think of at the present???

Suprised no one has mentioned Shearer yet.... Duncan that is. Scored every week for Swindon then when we bought him he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo for us. Rumoured at the time that we only bought him to stop him scoring for Swindon and in doing so derail their promotion challenge.

Suprised no one has mentioned Shearer yet.... Duncan that is. Scored every week for Swindon then when we bought him he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo for us. Rumoured at the time that we only bought him to stop him scoring for Swindon and in doing so derail their promotion challenge.

I mentioned him on the first page theno. I remember going to a night match at Port Vale where we got beat 3-0 I think. He was shocking!

Didn't Stead score the winner in 4 games that season? Utd, Everton and a couple of others. Extremely harsh to say him.....in terms of recent loan signings, Mame Diouf was worse than Di Santo imo....he had the worst first touch in the league since Carlton Palmer.

His goals kept us that season, no doubt about that.

I can't believe that the following are thought of as being bad strikers:-

John Stead........kept us up with his opportune goals.

Matt Derbyshire....always dangerous; came on and scored at Middlesbro with first touch; was the only one to score v Newcastle away when everyone else had failed etc.etc.etc.

S Pongolle........wonderful header from a Bellamy cross and crossed for Bellamy to score in the same match.

Shefki Kuqi.........that terrific cross for Gamst's wondergoal; other important strikes and the bell-flop celebration.

Graham Fenton...............did fair to middling and scored v Newcastle when Shearer bottled it.

So what about Matty Holmes for a bad'un?

did sean curry ever resurface anywhere/?

Went on to play ice hockey ^_^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Curry

Archived