BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brian Clough.

Great player, great manager and real personality, should have managed England!!

As for the woman in Pune, had Clough been our manager now, she would have been put in her place and her rear and would have been introduced to many of her chickens!!

Great player, great manager and real personality, should have managed England!!

As for the woman in Pune, had Clough been our manager now, she would have been put in her place and her rear and would have been introduced to many of her chickens!!

+1

Just been watching Cloughie being interviewed by John Motson.

Couldn't help wondering, What he would have made, on the situation at Ewood.

"I'm far more qualified than you John, and your colleagues" lol!

The best manager England never had bar none.

• Moderation Lead

Read his book, seen the damned united, and seen the documentary about him, even got a quote of his in my signature.

Brilliant manager, with no shortage of confidence in his own ability!! :D

i have never read, seen or heard an interview with clough, but it didnt take 2 minutes olf watching this to conclude, that he is the sort of person i would like and respect. Dry and sarcastic humor and even in instances where he was a little rude, he still managed to get his point across and make sense. There are those kind of people who says what they think and say so with conviction, then there are those who think the same, but lack the courage or ballsack to voice their opinion, its not hard to seee which category clough falls into :)

I went to a sportsmans dinner a while back where Dean Saunders was the main speaker. He told an absolutely hilarious story of how Cloughie tried to sign him for Notts Forest. It was side splitingly funny, worth the cost of the ticket alone.

Ex Rover Duncan McKenzie played for Cloughie at Notts Forest and his after dinner speaches include brilliant impersonations of Clough absolutely brilliant, the best to Vinny Jones when Clough told him, 'I dont want you carrying your handbag on the pitch' to which JOnes replied, why would I do that, Cloughs answer, 'Young man, people who wear earrings normally carry handbags' in the days before earrings were popular with the male population!!

As someone with a drink problem and a liking for bungs he would have felt somewhat at home....

He had a drink problem i know, But what bungs did he take,

I know there were accusations, But were any proved?

• Moderation Lead

He had a drink problem i know, But what bungs did he take,

I know there were accusations, But were any proved?

He admitted taking 'back handers' in his book on loads of occasions. Said it was one of the perks of the job iirc.

cloughie would have told venkys to stuff their job, a bit like big sam.

HaHaHa-comparing Sam Allardyce to 1 of the most respected and successful British managers in modern football Brian Clough, CuckooCuckoo.

And i don't think Allardyce did tell Venkys to stuff their job, he was fired and took a nice BIG severance package, signed a non disclosure form and hasnt looked back since(other than to scoff at the state the clubs currently in), Don't get me wrong Sams a good reliable manager(if you can stomach his teams way of playing) but he's just not a winner.

HaHaHa-comparing Sam Allardyce to 1 of the most respected and successful British managers in modern football Brian Clough, CuckooCuckoo.

And i don't think Allardyce did tell Venkys to stuff their job, he was fired and took a nice BIG severance package, signed a non disclosure form and hasnt looked back since(other than to scoff at the state the clubs currently in), Don't get me wrong Sams a good reliable manager(if you can stomach his teams way of playing) but he's just not a winner.

If he'd come back Allardyce would seem like Clough to us nowadays.

He makes a good points about referees about halfway into the clip which I hadn't expected from him. A legendary manager in his time (although I'm sure he wouldn't have been nowhere near as successfull today) but from most descriptions I've heard a pretty despicable person.

He makes a good points about referees about halfway into the clip which I hadn't expected from him. A legendary manager in his time (although I'm sure he wouldn't have been nowhere near as successfull today) but from most descriptions I've heard a pretty despicable person.

Cloughie was a master of doing the unexpected. He took his team out for a few drinks the night before a cup final.

As for your final sentence you heard wrong imo. I'd argue strongly with despicable and instead suggest single minded and determined. He had had a tough career which would have bred a certain ruthlessness in him.

Managers are not paid to be popular hence the LONG and successful careers of the likes of Moyes, Shankly, Allardyce, Mourhino, Hughes, Souness, Wenger, Ferguson etc. All hard bitten and ruthless individuals who would not accept fools gladly but who recognise what makes individuals tick and could mould them into a team that would run through brick walls for them. Show me a Mr Nice Guy manager and I'll show you a loser.

Read his book, seen the damned united, and seen the documentary about him, even got a quote of his in my signature.

Brilliant manager, with no shortage of confidence in his own ability!! :D

Just to qualify the quote on your signature, would you say that John Williams should have resigned when he sacked Paul Ince?

Cloughie was a master of doing the unexpected. He took his team out for a few drinks the night before a cup final.

As for your final sentence you heard wrong imo. I'd argue strongly with despicable and instead suggest single minded and determined. He had had a tough career which would have bred a certain ruthlessness in him.

Managers are not paid to be popular hence the LONG and successful careers of the likes of Moyes, Shankly, Allardyce, Mourhino, Hughes, Souness, Wenger, Ferguson etc. All hard bitten and ruthless individuals who would not accept fools gladly but who recognise what makes individuals tick and could mould them into a team that would run through brick walls for them. Show me a Mr Nice Guy manager and I'll show you a loser.

Long and successful career of Hughes? In management?

He was alright as Wales boss, did very well with Rovers, then failed to meet expectations at City, jumped ship too soon to really be judged at Fulham and is a work in progress now at QPR. He hasn't won anything, hasn't built a really great team, came up short when he was given money to spend and if he keeps leaving clubs at his current rate then he'll be tarred with the same brush as Roy Keane. Not saying he's a bad manager, and I appreciate the job he did at Ewood, but he's not a great manager, nor has he had a notable career to date.

I wasn't talking about his social graces (I agree about ruthlessness being a very handy trait in football managing) as much as the fact that he seems to have been a corrupt, bigoted drunkard. Then again he was most probably a result of the times and environment he lived in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead

Just to qualify the quote on your signature, would you say that John Williams should have resigned when he sacked Paul Ince?

Long and successful career of Hughes? In management?

He was alright as Wales boss, did very well with Rovers, then failed to meet expectations at City, jumped ship too soon to really be judged at Fulham and is a work in progress now at QPR. He hasn't won anything, hasn't built a really great team, came up short when he was given money to spend and if he keeps leaving clubs at his current rate then he'll be tarred with the same brush as Roy Keane. Not saying he's a bad manager, and I appreciate the job he did at Ewood, but he's not a great manager, nor has he had a notable career to date.

It was a quote of Brian Clough's that I appreciated, didn't say I lived and died by it......

Nice username though- Jeru The Damaja has made some great tunes!

Archived