BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Beamo

Ken Beamish was an employee of the club who did pretty well out of his connections from his ex-playing days. I don't begrudge him using those but he didn't set the world on fire as a Commercial Manager in my opinion, then again he wasn't catastrophic either. So another worker heads to retirement.

I don't read anything more than that into his departure.

I hope he has a long and happy retirement.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Beamo was a genuine fella. Met him and spoke to him on many occasions, always had time for a chat, always polite and smiling and always willing to assist. He helped me out many times with tickets etc most notably for the trips to Wembley and other away grounds when I was serving HM Forces.

Beamo Beamo

Whenever I have been to one of the ex player functions Ken seemed to be doing a lot behind the scenes. I'm not sure but I think he was one of the driving forces behind organising these enjoyable nights. I wonder if anybody will do it now.

In my dealings with Ken, I never had any problems and he was always pleasant and professional. I have heard other rumblings but that was my experience and I am sad to see Beamo go and thank him for all his help.

My abiding memories:

That goal against Luton which as a team goal was the best I had ever seen until the advent of the Premier League.

The crowd chanting Beamo at any horribly skied miss.

Ken taking my party on a tour of the old Ewood and recounting how Bob Crompton pacified the riotous Ferencvaros crowd after Rovers had won 4-1 in Budapest in 1913 "who had blocked the route of the team coach on the way to the airport".

Ken- retired but never to be forgotten!

In my dealings with Ken, I never had any problems and he was always pleasant and professional. I have heard other rumblings but that was my experience and I am sad to see Beamo go and thank him for all his help.

My abiding memories:

That goal against Luton which as a team goal was the best I had ever seen until the advent of the Premier League.

Ken taking my party on a tour of the old Ewood and recounting how Bob Crompton pacified the riotous Ferencvaros crowd after Rovers had won 4-1 in Budapest in 1913 "who had blocked the route of the team coach on the way to the airport".

1913??

1913??

Team coach to the airport- exactly!

Rovers were reining League Champions so toured the Austro-Hungarian Empire hammering clubs with long unbeaten records- Ferencvaros had not lost for two years until they played Rovers so the locals were pretty miffed. Yes Compton did stand in front of the mob and calm them down by all accounts but he'd have a mighty long wait for his plane home!!

Team coach to the airport- exactly!

Rovers were reining League Champions so toured the Austro-Hungarian Empire hammering clubs with long unbeaten records- Ferencvaros had not lost for two years until they played Rovers so the locals were pretty miffed. Yes Compton did stand in front of the mob and calm them down by all accounts but he'd have a mighty long wait for his plane home!!

They had commercial air flight in 1913? I thought everything was done by train in those days.

Until one of these ex-employees/ex-players/retired players speaks out then as far as im concerned there not much better than those running the show, by accepting golden handshakes and signing non-disclosure contracts there just selling themselves, the club and us fans out all for the sake of a few grand(and its not even like any of them need the money!!!).

How do you know that?

Sorry to have to spell it out.

The story about Bob Compton after the game in Budapest is true by all accounts. In the Rovers' trophy cabinets in the old Nuttall Street Stand were the momentos of Rovers' all conquering tour of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Just that Ken got ever so slightly carried away in the telling of the tale....

Beamo struggled to score as a player but seriously scored under the Walker regime. He certainly landed on his feet and I suspect has enjoyed trappings he could only have dreamt of as a player. His retirement should not be a surprise, I guess he's strung things out as long as he could. Fair play though, I for one wish him well.

The BEAMO chants need to return when somebody skies one

It's one of my first memories of watching Rovers

The crowd at Dunfermline still shout "Beamo, Beamo" for any skied shots. They have absolutely no idea as to it's origin, and I always give a wry smile when it happens and initially (some 20 years ago??) I used to relate to my immediate neighbours on the ground the tale of how it arose at Blackburn Rovers and I was there at the time. Not sure any of them believed me, but heigh ho.... that's life. :tu:

My abiding memories:

I think you may have got a little muddled here Philip................Seeing as how the very first succesful powered flight across theEnglish Channel in a flimsy aircraft only happened in 1909(Bleriot), and the development of safe passenger aircraft took many years after this to appear, there would be no need for the existence of airports in 1913.

Fife we have firmly established around five or six previous posts that Philip related this tale merely to demonstrate Beamo's voluminous capacity for b/s and propensity for inaccuracy in the relating of anecdotes

A number of mates who once went on a corporate afternoon out at Ewood would tell of how Beamo lovingly walked them down the tunnel and said: "We have a fine centre-forward named Shearer but not many have scored as many goals as me out there"

Ah so!! 1000 apologies for not being very good at sarcasm (or leg-pulling in general) You'd think that after 8 years a member of this MB I would be catching on to this by now wouldn't you? :wstu:

Fife we have firmly established around five or six previous posts that Philip related this tale merely to demonstrate Beamo's voluminous capacity for b/s and propensity for inaccuracy in the relating of anecdotes

A number of mates who once went on a corporate afternoon out at Ewood would tell of how Beamo lovingly walked them down the tunnel and said: "We have a fine centre-forward named Shearer but not many have missed as many goals as me out there"

corrected it for you

:D

beamo, beamo

Archived