BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Murphy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He looks exactly what he is. A 35 year old midfielder whose best days are behind him. He should have been rested for at least one game recently. It's very difficult for a twenty something to play 3 games in six days but impossible as we a have seen for a 35 year old to do the same.

He is playing way to far up the pitch. The reason we concede so many goals is the fact our back four have to defend on their own and are offered no protection. When Murphy was signed I thought it was a step in the right direction and he would sit in there and dictate play but yet again Kean has not learnt anything.

• 2 weeks later...

He's playing 30 yards too high up the pitch, he's far old to play that role. He should be in front of the back four, dictating play and setting the tempo.

He should play how Scholes does, or how we used Tugay in his later years. Let Etuhu do the box-to-box stuff.

I still think he'd be a great asset to us in the right set up, but in the role he's playing now Dunn would probably be better.

Can't see Murphy being much use in front of the back four. The next real tackle he puts in will be his first in a blue and white shirt. I agree he should be benched and Dunny played in his place. That alone shows how poorly Murphy is playing. I'd have Etuhu in his best position in front of the back four and Dunn playing further forward. That way at least one centre midfielder might stray into our opponents half.

Ah right, wasn't at the game and didn't notice it on telly. I know he hasn't had the best of seasons but I think we still need to see him under a better manager. Let's hope the booing disappears now Keans gone and he gets some decent performances under his belt.

He's really looking awful and needs to be benched. That's all there is to it at this point in time. Personally I'd play Formica there, we'd get far more use and mileage out of him. Not a spectacular player either, but steady, works hard, puts a tackle in, has occasional flashes of quality...would be a vast improvement on this total liability.

We need to play a 442 system with 2 genuine wingers. Nunes at LW and kazim on RW. We are really lacking width, apart from kazim we have NO right wingers, this should have been addressed in the summer! If the wide players get high up if may give Murphy options to play the ball to. Also nuno gomes should be starting, he is one player that can also pick out a pass, but he usually has no options as wide players rarely get higher up into oposition territory.

Danny Murphy created more goalscoring chances than any other player in the Premier League last season.

I have no idea what's going on with his form at the moment, but I'm very hopeful that new management will sort it out. He can't have deteriorated that quickly, especially as his game has never relied on pace or agility.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a free ticket to Bolton on Sat'day.

Jay Spearing was doing everything that Murphy should be doing and more. We could have got him in on loan for a fraction of the wages and without having to commit to a 2 year contract.

Stevie Warnock looked a class act, as well. We're crying out of for a left back and he's even an SEM client, as well.

Spearing and Murphy are 2 different types of central midfielders for me. Spearing is someone who is technically poor and limited in possession, but will give 100%, show agression and bite to win the ball back and generally provide some legs. Murphy is 35(?) and is much more adept on the ball, although we haven't seen it yet, yet is slow and lacks the mobility.

I expected Etuhu to provide the legs in midfield for us and he has been OK but has been slightly off the pace recently, and hasn't shown the energy you would expect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

At the moment Murphy looks finished as a professional footballer.

I hope it's just 'the Kean effect' and that Berg will get him back to fitness and form but I've seen absolutely nothing from Murphy to suggest he has the potential to achieve that.

Archived