BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How should we utilise our current squad of players

I would utilise this squad under a new manager. What a pointless thread!!

We already have an unexperienced idiot actually managing our club. What are a load of unexperienced fans going to do?? Even if we choose a line up its hardly like it will be picked by Kean is it????

Philip, I thought better of you than that.

Pretend Kean's gone what would you do?

Easy to criticise, nail your colours to the mast.

To set the ball rolling and I haven't a bloody clue regarding the Portugese influx, cause I've been in France since end of June.

Robinson

Givet Dann Lowe

Bruno Murphy Etuhu Rochina Pederson Martin Olsen

Rhodes

To set the ball rolling and I haven't a bloody clue regarding the Portugese influx, cause I've been in France since end of June.

Robinson

Givet Dann Lowe

Rhodes

I would trust the new manager to pick the team and do his job.

3 6 1??? Well it would be a unique formation.

I would utilise this squad under a new manager. What a pointless thread!!

We already have an unexperienced idiot actually managing our club. What are a load of unexperienced fans going to do?? Even if we choose a line up its hardly like it will be picked by Kean is it????

It's actually got the potential to be an interesting and eye opening thread, what a pointless reply.

Hesfromburn,

Are we to assume you are full of knowledge?

I thought that the point of this site was to promote debate amongst like minded individuals

I await the start of your first thread. The reason I only post occasionally is as a consequence of folk like yourself.

Shame really. We are The Rovers!

Robinson

Givet Dann Lowe

Rhodes

I think it is a decent enough question to ask who would play. However playing Lowe as a left sided centreback in a 3-6-1 is mental!

For me:-

-----------------Robinson

Riberio----Dann---Givet---Olsson

--Kazim---Etthu------Murphy---Olsson

-----------Rhodes---Gomes

Though we do have a lot of unknowns in the squad - all the Portuguese lads (who knows - one might be decent?), plus it is hard to say whether Martin Olsson is going to play for us or throw his toys out. Also Rochina and Formica promise a lot but it is hard to guess whether they can actually make an impact on this division or not. And we are not sure when Best will be back.

It's actually got the potential to be an interesting and eye opening thread, what a pointless reply.

Hey Braddock thanks for the positives,

I think the comment re 3, 6, 1 says it all. I'm sure any rational thinking football person would know what I was saying.

Simplicity is I would like us to defend ( not so deep) have one dominant centre half ( I don't think we have one currently) but Dann would have to fill the role with Givet and Lowe either side. Etuhu and Murphy central mid (holding), wide right Bruno, wide left Martin Olsen, Up front would be Rhodes. I think we have an abundance of players to fill the remaining 2 creative places. For me the main players for these places would be Rochina, Formica or Gomez.

I think Mr Bean would manage a team to win promotion in The Championship this season with the players at our disposal.........

Robinson

Givet Dann Lowe

Rhodes

well I can't pretend he has gone

utilise the squad with a real manager

come on then, bring some pearls of wisdom to the party

While I'm pretty certain neither the manager nor the players have the required famillarity with the tactic, I think are current squad are most suited for a classic Italian 4-3-2-1 "Christmas Tree" formation. We've got a fairly strong central midfield, decent fullbacks, absolutely no wingers and full batallion of technical marvels that thrives in the "hole" position behind a lone striker... Something like this:

-----------------Robinson----------------------------

---Orr-------Dann---Givet-------Mart. Olsson---

--------------------Etuhu------------------------------

--------------Murphy----Pedersen------------------

---------Kazim-Richards--------Rochina-----------

-----------------------Rhodes-------------------------

While I'm pretty certain neither the manager nor the players have the required famillarity with the tactic, I think are current squad are most suited for a classic Italian 4-3-2-1 "Christmas Tree" formation. We've got a fairly strong central midfield, decent fullbacks, absolutely no wingers and full batallion of technical marvels that thrives in the "hole" position behind a lone striker... Something like this:

-----------------Robinson----------------------------

---Orr-------Dann---Givet-------Mart. Olsson---

--------------------Etuhu------------------------------

--------------Murphy----Pedersen------------------

---------Kazim-Richards--------Rochina-----------

-----------------------Rhodes-------------------------

Quite like this one - maybe slot Lowe instead of Pedersen depending on the opposition - and possibly Olsson Mk 2 instead of Rochina - again depending who we are playing.

Of our current squad, the only one that has impressed me playing on the wing in recent memory is Martin Olsson.

Fair enough. Personally I think his brother and Kazim Richards will be more than adequate on the wings in this division too.

There are a fair few ways we can play.. for me though our biggest weaknesses at the moment in terms of style of play are:

1 - To crowded around Murphy, his abilities make him a liability when he has no outlet but to punt it to rhodes or pass sideways

2 - Lack of crossing ability out wide so we are under utilising a pretty decent set of strikers

3 - We play exceptionally deep which puts extra pressure on the back line

4 - Lack of movement and willingness to make runs both out wide and up front

5 - We try and play certain players out of position

6 - We never setup to take advantage of players abilities, more try to fit the team into a set system

7 - We play with one striker and apparently try to play counter attacking football even without any players with pace in midfield

8 - We never seem to look at the oppositions lineup, if they have slow fullbacks, a packed midfield, short central defenders play to those damn weaknesses.

A few lineups for different occasions (not always dif games, sticking to the same formation and making everyone stay deep while we are ahead is very bad).

----------Robinson----------
Bruno--Hanley--Givet--Martin
-------Lowe----Murphy-------
--------------Etuhu---------
---Richards--Rhodes--Gomes--

-------Etuhu----Murphy------
-Richards------------Diogo--
-------Rhodes-Gomes---------
With Simon as an alternative to Richards who would move to Str when Gomes tires or Rochina if we need an impact sub.

-------Etuhu----Murphy------
-Richards--Formica---Gomes--
-----------Rhodes-----------

Not exactly sure how good Diogo will be but really need someone who can both cross and has a little bit of pace.

Naturally there are alternatives to a few spots like putting Marcus in LB and Martin on lw in 442 formation, Bruno for Orr or Dann for Hanley (personally think the championship is a great time to give some of these youngsters the experience while we can), Diogo/Nunes/Pederson on the left.

For games we have to battle in (ideal team vs Leeds):

Robbo

Orr Dann Hanley Givet

Richards Lowe Etuhu Pedersen Martin

Rhodes

Plenty of fight in that team, a solid back line up for a scrap, lots of fight in cm with lowe and etuhu , pace on the wings and energy in cm to support rhodes.

Against weaker teams where we can play more expansive football:

Robbo

Ribero Givet Dann Martin

Richards Etuhu Pedersen Marcus

Gomes

Rhodes

Archived