BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portugese Influx cont.

Hi, new member and all that jazz...

As the title suggests this topic is regarding the mass influx of the Iberian contingent...

However, this is a slightly variation on the topics that have come previously.

This influx is continued right the way down to under 10's, so there are the next "insert superstar here" at our junior levels, can anyone shed light on this?

Do I smell a rat, or...

...Am I just being paranoid...?

Hi, new member and all that jazz...

As the title suggests this topic is regarding the mass influx of the Iberian contingent...

However, this is a slightly variation on the topics that have come previously.

This influx is continued right the way down to under 10's, so there are the next "insert superstar here" at our junior levels, can anyone shed light on this?

Do I smell a rat, or...

...Am I just being paranoid...?

It does seem rather strange, indeed, coaching in Spain and Portugal in the main is far better than here in the UK so I cant understand why young lads at 10 would come here!!

Could you be sure this is the case, I have never known kids of 10 being shipped over here but I know a couple of staff at Rovers, will try and find out!!

Did not know that we also continued this right down to the juniors.. when I heard about Shebby getting the job I kept saying he will try to push his influence onto the academy, given his interviews it does seem to be that he has a pretty big influence there.

I am personally not overly convinced that messing with a renown academy is a great idea.. but i have to admit in a way some the moves make sense, trying to break the traditional british model by bringing in kids who are used to the more passing based model and the street football style play of places like spain and Portugal.. Bring in a legend from that country in Gomes, some older talent and you help them all settle while having a respected mentor. As a footballing nation we lack ball playing midfielders so maybe this would work.

In other ways this is an extremely dangerous game to play, we are messing with an acedemy that has a very good reputation and a new status, do we have the translators (which will be needed for the younger kids esp), are we trying to shove kids into an English style coaching system or adapting our coaching system, what sort of setup do we have to assist them in their moves, how are we paying for this change in policy when we are making staff redundant in other areas, how does our top notch coaching team feel about all this meddling.... etc

Added to that there is always the question mark over where these players come from.. who is supplying them and how much is in it for certain parties.

Overall I reckon if the coaching team are backing this.. then it is a decent way to go.. otherwise.. we are playing one hell of a dangerous game and Shebby is working on the wrong areas of the club.

Kelbo, been told off a lad who runs one of the age groups (not directly I'd like to add, not giving it large claiming to be an infamous "ITK")

Just find it odd, as Veevs said it may be a good thing, with the Gomes signing it may encourage the young Portugese scamps, however, I'm a little concerned as to how and why they are being brought here, are we twinned with a Portugese valley? Have we acquired a feeder club?

It may be a masterstroke, really hope it is and I'll happily ridicule my paranoid self, but with everything that has happened in what seems a daily circus show down at Ewood, I don't know what to make of it...

Aren't there rules about how far away from the club recruits to the Academy have to live?

I thought that the FA forbade teams recruiting youngsters whose family home was more than 90 minutes' [or something like that] travelling time from either Ewood or Brockhall? Even with a flight from Faro, . . . !

Kelbo, been told off a lad who runs one of the age groups (not directly I'd like to add, not giving it large claiming to be an infamous "ITK")

Just find it odd, as Veevs said it may be a good thing, with the Gomes signing it may encourage the young Portugese scamps, however, I'm a little concerned as to how and why they are being brought here, are we twinned with a Portugese valley? Have we acquired a feeder club?

It may be a masterstroke, really hope it is and I'll happily ridicule my paranoid self, but with everything that has happened in what seems a daily circus show down at Ewood, I don't know what to make of it...

No, me neither, but I dont know what to make of the whole charade at Rovers nowadays, its ruined our Football Club and the numpty masquerading as manager is just making things worse!

Wenger does it with French players, gets as many over as possible. The thing is...he obviously has great connections and knowledge of that market.

Just who exactly is providing the supposed knowledge of the Portuguese market? Is it a specific scout?

And Wenger is widely praised for that, as he has some eye for talent, surely not at that age though!!

But who is bringing these lads in, scouts? Kean? Shebby?

Apologies LeChuck not sure if the scouting bit was aimed at me, as I have no idea, like I said I'm not an ITKer, but that's the same thought I had, just a bit confused and a bit alarmed about how this is being done, as this info was 2nd hand I was unable to ask this.

Hopefully someone on here can divulge or even dismiss this, I'm just forever scratching or shaking my head at the entire situation from top to bottom...

If its about unearthing the next Ronaldo, it wont be about grooming him for success at Rovers. WE ARE THE FEEDER CLUB!

kerrching

And Wenger is widely praised for that, as he has some eye for talent, surely not at that age though!!

But who is bringing these lads in, scouts? Kean? Shebby?

Apologies LeChuck not sure if the scouting bit was aimed at me, as I have no idea, like I said I'm not an ITKer, but that's the same thought I had, just a bit confused and a bit alarmed about how this is being done, as this info was 2nd hand I was unable to ask this.

Hopefully someone on here can divulge or even dismiss this, I'm just forever scratching or shaking my head at the entire situation from top to bottom...

Wasn't specifically aimed at you, it was an open question to anyone who might know.

It wasn't a policy over the first three transfer windows under Venky's, so something has obviously happened recently. Hopefully someone will fill us in soon.

At best we've hired scouts with superb knowledge of the Portuguese leagues. Worst case is we're buying on agent(s) recommedations. Middle ground is we've hired scouts who are finding us a load of duds.

Wasn't specifically aimed at you, it was an open question to anyone who might know.

It wasn't a policy over the first three transfer windows under Venky's, so something has obviously happened recently. Hopefully someone will fill us in soon.

At best we've hired scouts with superb knowledge of the Portuguese leagues. Worst case is we're buying on agent(s) recommedations. Middle ground is we've hired scouts who are finding us a load of duds.

You missed the Bruno style alternative.. we have a connection in Portugal who is recommending randoms.

I dont think its anything new. When my bro was at the academy (nearly 10 years ago now) there were two canadians, a couple from africa and a couple of others I cant remember. The rules are that kids cant travel more than hour in Uk, but if theyve.come from abroad theyll usually be living in blackburn. The unusual thing I guess is that theyre all from Portugal.

why not look at local lads for the junior teams?

Very simple. Local JUNIOR teams are made up of the most developed individuals for their age group and not made up of potential good footballers. Junior sides have the tallest, stongest, fastest, evilest kids and at that age, normally developing kids stand no chance against them. BY the time they are 17 - 19 etc. They are way out of the football scene, or play Sat Sun down Witton. Load of potential straight down the drain. SAD but 100% TRUE and has been for YEARS

Very simple. Local JUNIOR teams are made up of the most developed individuals for their age group and not made up of potential good footballers. Junior sides have the tallest, stongest, fastest, evilest kids and at that age, normally developing kids stand no chance against them. BY the time they are 17 - 19 etc. They are way out of the football scene, or play Sat Sun down Witton. Load of potential straight down the drain. SAD but 100% TRUE and has been for YEARS

Thats a shame because I have had interest from Everton for my son and I told them to let him develop some more (he's U11's now) then come back to look at him. I'd rather him play locally for Rovers though or for them to take a look at what he is like

Kean on Grzegorz Sandomierski, Nuno Henrique and Diogo Rosado: "I've not seen them play live. Shebby Singh was very excited about them coming here and was telling me how good they were."

So it appears Shebby is the one with knowledge/contacts within the Portuguese lower leagues? That would certainly make sense given that the influx of Portuguese players coincided with his arrival.

My gut instinct is to wonder whether he is getting a cut in any of the deals. If he's friendly with a Portuguese agent/agency that is involved with these young lads then it's not beyond possibility.

Thats a shame because I have had interest from Everton for my son and I told them to let him develop some more (he's U11's now) then come back to look at him. I'd rather him play locally for Rovers though or for them to take a look at what he is like

Just a sad fact that by the time they hit 13 a 4'9'' messi would by overlooked for a 5'11'' jason roberts... this is english football.

I think there is a big problem in that Shebby is doing the buying and Kean the managing. I know the director of football role has worked well on the continent, but it never really has worked in the UK.

Kean can justifiably claim that these aren't his players, so it's not his fault if they aren't good enough.

I think the reason Kean has gone on record to say these aren't his signings is also significant too, it's designed for some reason, probably to place blame away from himself after watching them train for a few days. I don't remember him coming out and saying Jermaine Jones wasn't his signing, or Bruno, so why now.

Archived