BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Broken Britain - Trouble on the Estate

TV show about Shadsworth next Tuesday night on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2012/37/trouble-on-the-estate.html

Looking forward to watching this I was brought up on Shadsworth so will be interesting to see how the estate is portrayed. Obviously I'm expecting it to be in a largely negative vibe, but we will see.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As bad as the area may seem to some, its actually ok compared to how it was in the 80s, but it has been deteriorating quite a lot over the last 10 years, its biggest fault is the abnormally high amount of disgusting parenting in the area, imo largely due to now 2-3 generations of kids(14-18year olds) havin kids that have kids that then have kids, to the point where theirs no adults(mentally speaking) so the parents simply havnt got any parenting skills.

It must be one of the cheapest areas in the countries to live. According to Rightmove you can get a 3-bedroomed house in Shadsworth for £40k! Anyone fancy a house share?

If their where signs that the area was going to improve or be regenerated in some way(like what's happening around the Infirmary area), it would be a very good investment, sadly though i cant see any major changes(possibly because is so secluded and right on the outskirts of town).

There also seems to be more and more immigrants being placed or moving to the area, which is never good for house prices or attractive to companies looking to invest in the area(just an observation!).

Every town has a "Shadsworth" and every town has its fair share of scum. It is a sad indictment of our current society and to see a drug and crime roddled community in the eyes of the media just makes it worse, whatever good points exist about Shadsworth they wont be portrayed.

Every town has a "Shadsworth" and every town has its fair share of scum. It is a sad indictment of our current society and to see a drug and crime roddled community in the eyes of the media just makes it worse, whatever good points exist about Shadsworth they wont be portrayed.

The road out?

the line that needs to crossed is how violent an area is and how hopeless the neighbourhood feels in tackling it...No area in Blackburn comes across as unsafe in this regard...We dont hear of guns shootings,muggings ,masked voilent burglaries etc.....Shadworth comes across as an area of only Petty problems but not one violent..looks like its going to be manufacured Senastionalism for Tv to me....The tv cameras simply darent go to anywhere genuinely bad..like some of the salford areas where the fire services etc and the tv crew will be bricked.if they suddenly appear...

Green Lane, Shadsworth and Roman Road are all tame in comparison to what they were like in the 80's as is mentioned above. You wouldn’t feel safe walking through any of them back then, now its not dangerous at all really.

Could be any estate in the country, but they chose Shad.

Theirs actually plenty(or more than their is in other areas anyway) of jobs in easy walking distance of shad, its prob the closet area in town to most of the large business and industrial estates in Blackburn, but most(in my experience) work on a pretty ruthless hire and fire basis and you'd be lucky to get much more than minimum wage(unless you're skilled, obviously) but still their are jobs there, for those that really want them.

But, theirs not many(if any) part time jobs available for under 16s or college students, so all they just carry on dossing around until their old enough to find a proper job(or find other ways of making money!).

Also imo, almost the entire town of Darwen is worst the shadsworth estate.

I'll remind my sister who's living in a £400k pile top of Bold Venture Park. Idiot.

Green Lane, Shadsworth and Roman Road are all tame in comparison to what they were like in the 80's as is mentioned above. You wouldn’t feel safe walking through any of them back then, now its not dangerous at all really.

Could be any estate in the country, but they chose Shad.

Shad in the late 80's was like Mellor compared to Fishmoor. All towns/cities these days have nice areas and rough areas

I'll remind my sister who's living in a £400k pile top of Bold Venture Park. Idiot.

Shad in the late 80's was like Mellor compared to Fishmoor. All towns/cities these days have nice areas and rough areas

Dont you understand the word 'Almost', @#/?.

and the comment was obviously exaggerated, it was just a dig aimed at a mate(who was viewing the thread) living in darwen.

Amazed that it said that one third of working age people in bburn are unemployed.

I bet half of those work (cash in hand) most probably on darwen street.

Biggest thing I took from it was the woman who had two grown kids but wouldn't work because anti d's made her tired in a morning. She got 1100 in benefits a month.

That's a very decent wage for anyone!!

I don't think Shad is the worst estate in the country, nothing like some of the areas in Manchester with the gangs and gun crime. I think it was just typical of any estate in every town in the country i.e. people with no ambition or drive to get off the benefits bandwagon. They said at the end "tough place, tough times" - I don't agree with that, it didn't look too tough for all of them sponging off benefits, you just have to notice the number of Sky dishes and 40" tvs in all the houses. It is tougher for those actually in jobs who pay the tax to support them.

You should have to earn your benefits or pay them back. 1 year's work = 1 year benefits if you find yourself out of work. If not, recreate the student loan system, students pay that back when they get a job, so why shouldn't people who spend time on benefits.

From what they said on the programme, its clear that its not lack of jobs stopping them working, its because they can't be bothered. That woman was moaning at having to go to the job centre every 8 weeks! If they turn down a job offer, then take away the benefits.

It must be one of the cheapest areas in the countries to live. According to Rightmove you can get a 3-bedroomed house in Shadsworth for £40k! Anyone fancy a house share?

Incredible - I sold a pair of garages for more than that.

Archived