BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Isle Of Man Football Football Festivals

Ozz

Following a recent memory jig from a fellow member, does anyone have any stuff from the pre season tournaments that we played in on the Isle Of Man during the 1980s I went to one, 1985 I think, and wondered if anyone had any recollections, photos stories etc from them. A quick Google gave me this http://www.stmirren.info/id39.html from a St Mirren site.

I`m not talking about the Lancashire Cup, played in Lancs, but the Tournament played in Douglas etc.

Kids want feeding now, I`ll come back later with more if I find it.

Was in the IoM yesterday and bumped into a North Lancs (Lancaster) Blue on the flight back to Blackpool.

I go every month so will ask around and also ask Martin of Busheys Brewery fame if he has any info.

Ozz, have you been in the back room of The Rovers Return in Douglas? Full of Rovers memorabilia to drool over.

PS. The bloke from North Lancs said they were struggling with buses to home games this season.

I seem to remember burnley getting beat by the Isle of man one year :lol: in the manx cup, and almost getting a right kicking at Bolton one year in the Lancashire cup at burnden, but a part from that no.

Bushy has a pub in Douglas, or did have with lots of Rovers memrobilia.

My dad used to have all the old programs - I'll ask what happened to them. Martin of Bushy's used to come over fairly regularly to home games but I've not seen him for a while now. Maybe this could be the next BRFCS project - group outing to Douglas! (pref not in winter, mind)

Remember going on ferry from Heysham and spending a damp week in a tent. Must have been 86. We played Newcastle and I called Peter Beardsley an ugly b_____d and all his team mates laughed at him. We played IoM at Peel and then I think the last game was Pompey. Was a right laugh.

I live in the Isle of Man and live in Castletown to be exact. There is a Rovers picture hanging up in the club house (hut with a stand). I will nip up and scan it and post it up if you like.

As above the Rovers Return is still in Douglas and does still have the little back room with Rovers gear. Bushey (Martin) did buy the old Rovers turnstile to put in there too but when he turned up at Rovers to pick it up they had given it to someone else.

If you buy MikeJackman's excellent "Blackburn Rovers -The Complete Record" it gives comprehensive details of every game Rovers played on the island, scores, line-ups, venues, gates etc

I can't recommend any of Mike's many Rovers books highly enough, a honourable mention for Harry Berry too who has been writing Rovers books since 1975 and whose "Blackburn Rovers Since 1945" is a fantastic read - basically a guide to every player who has been a first teamer for Rovers up to its publication about 3 years ago, with info about what they're up to now where possible

There are a few books out about Rovers. Mike Jackman is a genius. He's done a great service for our club. I've listed a few I've heard of, but would be interested if there are any more available..

Charles Francis - ‘History of Blackburn Rovers Football Club 1875-1925’

Harry Berry – ‘The Men who made Blackburn Rovers FC Since 1945’

Mike Jackman – ‘Blackburn Rovers: The Complete Record’

‘Blackburn Rovers: An Illustrated History’

‘The Essential History of Blackburn Rovers’

Tim Barlow – ‘Get a Grip (it’s what footballs all about)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Grip-What-Footballs-About/dp/B000O2SVVY

Mick Pickup – ‘Itching After Rovers’

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/177909

Michael Blackburn – ‘Agents, Rovers and Cricket Loving Owners’

http://www.rovertaken.co.uk/

Anyone got any contact details for Martin (Bushy)? I'd love to organise (well, badger somebody else into organising) a BRFCS faux-European trip to Douglas and I'd imagine he'd be a good source of info (I'm already counted on you too Cocker ;) )!

As for Mike Jackman's books, they are something no Rovers' fan should be without, I did a lot of ebay hunting to get a copy of his 1994 Official Encylopedia and it now has pride of place next to his much newer "illustrated history". Sadly, Mike is a modest and/or shy gent and we've been unable to coax him onto the podcast (which is a real shame, I'd imagine he'd be brilliant).

Dunno yet.

Step 1. Find willing acomplices.

Step 2. See what they want to organise :)

I'd imagine beer will feature. We may be able to revive the old BRFCS 5-a-side team to get hammered by some local. Possibly some more beer. .... You know, a European Trip with a european Rovers games

Anyone got any contact details for Martin (Bushy)? I'd love to organise (well, badger somebody else into organising) a BRFCS faux-European trip to Douglas and I'd imagine he'd be a good source of info (I'm already counted on you too Cocker ;) )!

Just a thought... there are return flights to IOM from Blackpool airport. Rovers play Blackpool Fri 15th Dec. Just planting seeds... (and it's also my birthday just a few days later).

Sounds fantastic, count me in!!

There are always a few Blackpool fans travelling over from the IoM for their games which means that we (Dawn) will have to book early.

Also on the IoM flights you get automatic use of the Business Lounge at Blackpool Airport and therefore access to the whisky, gin etc!!

I can also get discounts at a couple of (decent) hotels.

If you want Martin you could try his office in the week: 44 1624 611101

I think he is mostly down the Bay in Port Erin these days.

If you do arrange a trip over then I will be up for meeting up and having a few scoops. The Saturday would be Jaks in Douglas. They show 3 or 4 games at 15:00 on a saturday (oviously prem - no chance of the Rovers being on this year)

Just a thought... there are return flights to IOM from Blackpool airport. Rovers play Blackpool Fri 15th Dec. Just planting seeds... (and it's also my birthday just a few days later).

My mistake - the game's Sat 15th Dec. And in the cold light of day, is December a not a tad chilly for a trip across the Irish Sea?

Really sorry, Cocker, Bushy Martin and anyone else from IOM but I couldn't resist this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX8Dg4nW7lU …

• 1 year later...

Here you go:-

gallery_1351_115_666409.jpg

gallery_1351_115_163984.jpg

Those photos were taken at Ballacaloan Stadium Ramsey Isle of Man - home of Ramsey AFC.

I was on the top of that terrace but just behind the goal so just not in shot.

I think Rovers were playing Newcastle that day and won - 1-0?

EDIT: I think I got that wrong. I am sure I saw Rovers v Newcastle at Ramsey but must have been a different year - have just seen this for 1985 ''Advertising brochure for this 8-team pre-season tournament held in The Isle Of Man. Teams featured in this tournament were Blackburn Rovers and Carlisle Utd (English Division 2), Wigan Athetic and Swansea City (English Division 3), Bohemians FC (Rep of Ireland League), St Mirren (Scottish Premier League), Roda JC (Dutch Division 1) and The Isle Of Man national team.''

I do have a Rovers photo taken at Castletown but can't remember when. We played the Isle of Man team and scraped it 1 - 0 as I recall and bloody lucky at that.

Following a recent memory jig from a fellow member, does anyone have any stuff from the pre season tournaments that we played in on the Isle Of Man during the 1980s I went to one, 1985 I think, and wondered if anyone had any recollections, photos stories etc from them. A quick Google gave me this http://www.stmirren.info/id39.html from a St Mirren site.

I`m not talking about the Lancashire Cup, played in Lancs, but the Tournament played in Douglas etc.

Kids want feeding now, I`ll come back later with more if I find it.

Just seen this thread.

I remember seeing Rovers v St. Mirren played in Douglas Isle of Man at The Bowl stadium.

We won - could have been the Final. Can't remember the score.

Edit: just read the St Mirren site - we won 3-1 but not the Final.

Whatever happened to Cocker?

Does Martin (Busheys Beers) still go to games?

I can't help you on those. However I was in Douglas a couple of years ago, had the pleasure of going to the Bushey's Rovers Return pub, and had a pint in the back room which is the shrine to BRFC. A must visit for any rovers fan.

These days it's rare to see any Rovers pictures and memorabilia in the pubs of Blackburn, Darwen etc. Therefore to have a room dedicated to Rovers in the Isle of Man is a nice touch.

Archived