BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The arabs are revolting

Action is imminent according to newswires, although Putin has warned Cameron today that Russia is opposed to any military strike. Likely to be Libya-type operation with attacks against specific targets.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like there is a good chance we are going to see air strikes on Syria pretty soon. We have the RAF base in Cyprus that could be used by UK, French and US aircraft. Also the US has a drone base in Jordan. Both UK and US have ships in the area to deliver Tomahawk strikes.

Nah the Syrian's have a pretty decent anti-aircraft defence system the US and UK wont want to put precious hardware like the F15 & F18 plus Tornado at risk at this stage. I would also expect at least one carrier in the area if an air strike was imminent. Far more likely are cruise missiles launched from the US destroyers already in the area and UK submarines. Once the air defence system is down then maybe the odd sortie by B1 & B2 aircraft might be carried out.

No evidence of weapons of mass destruction and we wade into Iraq, WMD's used in Syria and we can't decide ?

How much oil is in Syria though?

How much oil is in Syria though?

Yup. Our wonderful armed forces are shrinking anyway, sending our troops into any bloody conflict then making them redundant when they come. We've got an aircraft carrier with no aircraft FFS ! Honestly if the Argies invaded the Falklands these days we'd have to just give in.

It's a scandal.

Whilst you must feel for the victims, why do we have to try and police the world ? Here's a thought (tin hat on), why don't we mind our own business ?

People are advocating that the UN steps in, not the UK.

I heard news snippets:

First off, they'd hit the sites of chemical weapons with Cruise Missiles.

They will hit chemical weapons sites (if they know where they are)so if there are Al Qaeda in the Rebels, AQ won't get their hands on the chemical weapons.

No boots on the ground.

Just news snippets, I agree, it sounds like flakey logic to me...

Also, let's not dismiss that Iran is an ally of Syria as well, so are Hezbollah or Hamas, both or one of them.

And I also heard the more ruling class of the Mid East, Qatar, KSA, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, etc. are the ones who may want the West to intervene, of course, they should do the work in my opinion.

------------

If the UN declares the Assad regime used the chemicals, then let's see what may have to happen.

Also, some stories have come out, where are these chemical weapons from ??? Iraq before???? Anyway, I agree, Iraq is a lesson.

Action is imminent according to newswires, although Putin has warned Cameron today that Russia is opposed to any military strike. Likely to be Libya-type operation with attacks against specific targets.

That's right, repeating, maybe Cruise Missile attacks on Chemical Weapons Sites. I guess they know those sites.

Repeating again, maybe the UN will issue some sort of condemnation and then, the West will hit these people.

Sounds like France and possibly Germany too will be supporting some sort of strike. We will see.

Maybe these other Arab countries who don't like Assad should do the business and not the West.

Could be alright.

This is interesting from the BBC:

The administration has deliberately left itself almost no room for manoeuvre - its credibility would now be zero if it failed to take some form of military action”- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23844643

Pretty hawkish.

All I can say is Israel already two times has carried out airstrikes on Syria. Maybe that's all it will be, airstrikes.

Okay, I read the article.

The Mail took the story from "InfoWars", I'll just say I look at a lot of Infowars stories with scepticism, doesn't mean they are wrong or always wrong. Website is conspiracy oriented and hey, indeed, there may well be conspiracies out there.

I've read their "Prison Planet" forums a few times, talk about a forum that is hard to navigate, there is so much there.

That Chemical Weapons attack happened right in Damascus or nearby, I noticed that too.

Here is an interesting article:

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad would not be "so stupid" as to use chemical weapons close to Damascus, the leader of the country's largest Kurdish group said.

Saleh Muslim, head of the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD), said he doubted the Syrian president would resort to using such weapons when he felt he had the upper hand in the country's civil war.

He suggested last Wednesday's attack, which the opposition says was carried out by government forces and killed hundreds of people, was aimed at framing Assad and provoking an international reaction. Assad has denied his forces used chemical weapons.

"The regime in Syria ... has chemical weapons, but they wouldn't use them around Damascus, 5 km from the (U.N.) committee which is investigating chemical weapons. Of course they are not so stupid as to do so," Muslim told Reuters.

- http://www.aina.org/news/20130827003649.htm

Being a little gung-ho here. Also, Syria doesn't have significant quantities of oil. Fighting this for the Saudi Arabians and others???

I see China, Russia and Iran have all warned against such action. So, if they just know where a factory or storage of chemical weapons are, that is one thing.

no no no.... I get it now, I would not think Parliament would vote for this, this could light a powderkeg.

Brigitte Gabriel guest on TV I have seen before says 2 million got killed in Congo, why weren't we down there????

Bad idea, I get it now.

Shouldn't this be Russia's problem? It's their chemic after all.

I've long held the view that the graphic images on TV news are not a good thing. Best to drag out the news crews then the nation's judgement can taken as a black and white issue and not get skewed by public sympathy.

btw same with the badger cull. We are all far too easily influenced by the frequently agenda'd news corporations.

In other words, pretend these atrocities are not happening ? The "news corporations" don't have "agendas" - they are reporting the news.

The world has ignored events in Syria too long and it is partly thanks to the service provided by the media that action looks finally to be about to happen.

In other words, pretend these atrocities are not happening ? The "news corporations" don't have "agendas" - they are reporting the news.

The world has ignored events in Syria too long and it is partly thanks to the service provided by the media that action looks finally to be about to happen.

So thats a vote from you to 'go in' and interfere in another country's affairs is it? Are you sure that we have the legal right? Are you sure we have a moral right even? I wonder if that would be your stance if it were the Russians who had used a bit of Chemic on the Chechnyans for example? How about if the Chinese were to put down a revolt within their boundaries in a year or two with gas? Should we wave our 'pop guns' that cuts have left us with at them too?

Just as a matter of interest can you tell us all who the target for our gung ho all guns blazing action will be or is that largely irrelevant to you? The Russians are urging caution based on not knowing the full facts aren't they? Rem the 1st lesson on the agenda at Sandhurst is 'Identify the enemy'. Obviously doesn't matter to you but it is quite important you know.

Something has to happen now as the situation has gone too far not to.

The UN option isn't an option because China and Russia will just veto anything on Syria. Obama has come out with this red line on chemical weapons, if he does nothing he will look weak and so will the US as a whole.

I expect Parliament to debate and vote on action with the decision that boots on the ground is an option off the table. We will then see missile strikes on Friday or during the weekend.

Archived