BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hillsborough

Scotty

After watching the two part documentary this afternoon, perhaps the most significant factor that contributed to so many unnecessary deaths was the 'practical joke' played by two Sheffield police officers on another police officer. The unsuspecting policeman was attacked by two of his colleagues purporting to be burglars, he was dragged down an alley in the dark, hands tied behind his back and was forced to drop his trousers before they ran off laughing. In the subsequent enquiry, the then Police Chief was transferred to Barnsley (even though he played no part in the 'joke' nor knew anything about it) a few weeks before the semi final. He had been in charge of previous semi finals, was a football man and had much big game experience. Instead David Duckenfield was put in charge of the game and it was his lack of leadership and decision making that was a major contribution to the loss of so many lives. I would hope that the two idiotic policemen get their just desserts as and when any sentences are handed out.

I too came that conclusion after watching it. I never knew about the incident or removal until the documentary brought it up. It really did start the clock ticking.

I had plenty of Americans ask me about Hillsborough after it came out. Many were mystified.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole saga could have been over and done with a year ago had they just admitted they lied and took responsibility.

The thing is Gav -and yes we all know why...

but this could have been over and done with over 20 years ago - problem was as you have rightly pointed out on here many a time is the injustice and feelings towards being any football fan around the time ( and still is now in some respects) and what would appear unfortunately for the Liverpool fans and all connected was that all concentration was directed and levied at the Liverpool fans behaviour and not other circumstances (from memory and reports on this nothing was ever said of the Forest fans behaviour - ie - this was a semi final and their fans would have been in the same mind and mode as the Liverpool fans and all just out to attend a football match and enjoy the day - no different

As many Rovers fans I am sure are aware of the layout of Sheff Weds having been before this happened , a lot of 'evidence' was already available as to the cause of what happened and as the pictures (camera) there doesn't appear to be any 'force' of any gates

I know the mind set of some Police and some fans was different in the 80's and the Police were often revved up to tackle hooligans. But what sort of idiot would be walking up and down the running track and not notice the crush at the front. The few press photos that are on the internet of the fans at the front of the pens are harrowing. Duckenfield was lying straight after his cock up. Its proved in the Graham Kelly interview on the day.

Anyone else notice Grobbelaar ordering fans to back off as they spilled onto the pitch? Did he really not know what was going on?

Bruce Grobbelaar was a former soldier who, if he had realised what was happening, would no doubt have rushed to help. Its easy all these years later to look at video footage and wonder why this, that or the other wasn't done at the time. Fans on the pitch would have automatically been assumed to have been crowd trouble initially, in those days, especially from a goalkeeper who would - quite rightly - have been focussing on what was in front of him, not on what might have been going on behind his goal.

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised to read this morning that King Kenny is to be awarded the Freedom of Liverpool (along with others and, posthumously, the 96).

I would have assumed he would have been granted something like that years ago.

Watched that documentary tonight. Cried 3 times. Horrific.

Just got round to watching it, late on Tuesday.

I was beyond angry. Huge cover-up, and especially after witnessing the suffering, I don't know how the culprits could live with themselves after the smearings.

I was surprised to read this morning that King Kenny is to be awarded the Freedom of Liverpool (along with others and, posthumously, the 96).

I would have assumed he would have been granted something like that years ago.

Thought the same. I'm sure he got the freedom of Glasgow in 1985 ~(old blurry VHS borrowed from library when he was unveiled Rovers manager).

• 1 year later...
18 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Manslaughter charges brought, unsurprisingly http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-40419819

If Graham Mackrell the then Secretary of Sheffield Wednesday is being charged then why not FA.

They chose the venue so surely had a duty of care to ensure that all was in order and that the venue was suitable, safe and in compliance with all relevant regulations.

Instead the CPS go for individuals as easier targets to prosecute and convict.

Much easier than prosecuting a Police Force, a Football Club or the FA etc

This will greatly limit the financial claims to follow.

6 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

If Graham Mackrell the then Secretary of Sheffield Wednesday is being charged then why not FA.

They chose the venue so surely had a duty of care to ensure that all was in order and that the venue was suitable, safe and in compliance with all relevant regulations.

Instead the CPS go for individuals as easier targets to prosecute and convict.

Much easier than prosecuting a Police Force, a Football Club or the FA etc

This will greatly limit the financial claims to follow.

From what I've read the families are satisfied that Bettison and Duckenfield are being pursued.

The case vs West Midland police is still being considered, and will be the one of a larger monetary value. It's also the one most intriguing as they where Maggie's pet force.

12 hours ago, Baz said:

From what I've read the families are satisfied that Bettison and Duckenfield are being pursued.

The case vs West Midland police is still being considered, and will be the one of a larger monetary value. It's also the one most intriguing as they where Maggie's pet force.

Any idea how this is going or maybe on hold whilst the current round of CPS ideas is processed.

I would expect the financial claims to increase substantially.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/hillsborough-families-sue-west-midlands-11256400

How does the FA continue to always escape censure when responsibilty for the disaster occuring must rest at least in part at their door.

I still cannot understand why Mackrell as an individual is being targetted and not the Club involved.

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I still cannot understand why Mackrell as an individual is being targetted and not the Club involved.

Local TV news round here said the SWFC that existed in 1989 is now no more, so the current SWFC is a different company.  I'll have a look see if I can find something...... 

She (the CPS) explained that Sheffield Wednesday is now a "different company" and, as it is not a successor organisation, is not criminally liable for any offences that might have been committed in 1989.

From here

8 minutes ago, Neil Weaver said:

Local TV news round here said the SWFC that existed in 1989 is now no more, so the current SWFC is a different company.  I'll have a look see if I can find something...... 

From here

Thanks. Perhaps Mackrell should have changed his name Salmon.

The FA is still the same and they had ultimate responsibilty for where the match took place.

I also look forward to full recognition and justice for the 39.

• Backroom

Stories of the victims and how the day unfolded, plus the aftermath. Was on ITV but think it may be on YouTube or vimeo. Will look.

Most shocking for me was families being asked closed questions about drinking habits and promiscuity of their loved ones by people investigating the death. Horrible stuff.

Archived