BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Venkys want either Shearer or Sherwoodas next manager

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

according to the Sunday People this morning, that Shebby Singh, Balaji and Venky Rao want a former rovers player to take over as manager when Kean is sack. The 2 former players are Alan Shearer and Tim Sherwood.

561902_353192848102333_2093715575_n.jpg

no mention of who the boss wants though

Just got to be careful here, neither are tried and trusted yet Sherwood is getting rave reviews at Spurs but not as a number 1, there is no doubt, providing supporters back them, Sherwood and Shearer would get the club united and put more bums on seats but have they the experience in management to cope?

Well in my opinion, they are by a million miles better qualified than Kean and would command respect from players but feel there could be better options!

no mention of who the boss wants though

Add in Newell and Tony Parks as assistant too please! Oh and Flitcroft, Jansens working towards his coaching badges too!!!

Not to mention Henning Berg and Tugay!!

Shearer no chance of coming -unless he comes as a package with King Kenny or Mike Newell, then he might be more tempted.

I think the experience of Tony Parks in a non managerial capacity back at the club is one that can be achieved cheaply and will bring back some heart and sole into the back room team and for the love of god get rid of colin hendry!!

Just got to be careful here, neither are tried and trusted yet Sherwood is getting rave revies at Spurs but not as a number 1, there is no doubt, providing supporters back them, Sherwood and Shearer would get the club united and put more bums on seats but have they the experience in management to cope?

Well in my opinion, they are by a million miles better qualified than Kean and would command respect from players but feel there could be better options!

who says Mrs D is involve any more????

maybe after her mistakes last season, she will allow Balaji and Venky Rao to run the club their way finally!!

only suggesting this

Think you may be right there Chaddy!!

Just got to be careful here, neither are tried and trusted yet Sherwood is getting rave revies at Spurs but not as a number 1, there is no doubt, providing supporters back them, Sherwood and Shearer would get the club united and put more bums on seats but have they the experience in management to cope?

Think you may be right there Chaddy!!

if that is the case, why is coco still here?

that would ring alarm bells even louder if true!

Just got to be careful here, neither are tried and trusted yet Sherwood is getting rave reviews at Spurs but not as a number 1, there is no doubt, providing supporters back them, Sherwood and Shearer would get the club united and put more bums on seats but have they the experience in management to cope?

This raises a good point. If it meant seeing the back of Kean, would people take an untried or risky manager - providing they had credibility within the game?

100% I would.

Don't think ex-players is the way to go. Get rid of Kean and bring in someone who knows how to get us working as a unit and promotion challenge should then be on.

Yes and no. I would rather have a Rovers based upon integrity and history than one promoted with no sole. To some extent although it was the slippery slope to relegation loosing Big sam and his style of football almost seemed like a good decision at the time (until he was replaced with Kean). Anything that brings back the family club we once had to me is more important than automatic promotion. I like being a small club with heart and sole who punches above its weight (heart and sole first)!!!

Yes and no. I would rather have a Rovers based upon integrity and history than one promoted with no sole. To some extent although it was the slippery slope to relegation loosing Big sam and his style of football almost seemed like a good decision at the time (until he was replaced with Kean). Anything that brings back the family club we once had to me is more important than automatic promotion. I like being a small club with heart and sole who punches above its weight!!!

don't get me wrong - I'd take Shearer and Sherwood in a heartbeat over Kean - I'm just not convinced it's a better option than a known quantity like McCarthy for example (not saying I want him either in case he doesn't float your boat). I don't know who i want - I think it's ABK at the moment.

I want someone tried and tested and am praying for the day that the Venky's make a common sense decision regarding our future. We've gone down the route of employing non-managers before and I can't think of anyone who has done well (Hughes came with a little bit of experience). There are plenty of good managers out of work at the moment who could get this half-decent squad fit and playing well. IMO Big Al didn't do a good job in the short time he was in charge of Newcastle, so for me he represents a real gamble and would be employed for nostalgic reasons rather than him having a track record. Him and Kenny would be my idea of perfection but don't ever think that would happen. I also don't think that Kean is going this week but pray I'm wrong.

don't get me wrong - I'd take Shearer and Sherwood in a heartbeat over Kean - I'm just not convinced it's a better option than a known quantity like McCarthy for example (not saying I want him either in case he doesn't float your boat). I don't know who i want - I think it's ABK at the moment.

Lets pull out all the stops and bring back a Management team of shearer and King Kenny with Tony Parks and possibly Mike Newell in coaching roles. Now somebody please tell me that wouldn't appeal!! (Oh and Venky's should swallow their pride admit their mistakes and offer John Williams a HUGE contract to come back too!!!!).

Shearer or Sherwood would be fine - providing they brought in an experienced manager to work alongside them - a bit like the Dalglish/Harford combination that worked so well for us previously.

Sherwoods stock at the moment would I think depend on who the manager was, I dont think he would work as a number 2 to an up and coming manager, would have to be a top man, as for Shearer, just recently, I have noticed some of his comments on play and patterns of play to be spot on and he is very much a players manager, would be outspoken and may just re - ignite the enthusiasm of the fanbase, please remember, he left Rovers for his hometown club who he supported and also for the idol he supported (Keegan) as a kid - now theres a thought, Keegan and Shearer? again, I do think there are better available options but its not my shout, lets get rid of Kean first and then see where we go!!

The Rao family are about as popular as a pork pie at a bar mitzvah right now ... they'd be doing this to try to score points with the fans rather than appoint the best man for the job. But anyone would be a massive improvement on Kean that's for sure.

It's all twaddle for now though (Nixon's written it) as until Kean goes, it's meaningless.

Sherwoods stock at the moment would I think depend on who the manager was, I dont think he would work as a number 2 to an up and coming manager, would have to be a top man, as for Shearer, just recently, I have noticed some of his comments on play and patterns of play to be spot on and he is very much a players manager, would be outspoken and may just re - ignite the enthusiasm of the fanbase, please remember, he left Rovers for his hometown club who he supported and also for the idol he supported (Keegan) as a kid - now theres a thought, Keegan and Shearer? again, I do think there are better available options but its not my shout, lets get rid of Kean first and then see where we go!!

What an excellent shout, totally forgot about Keegan. He has his frailties but knows the league and knows how to get teams out of this league.

The Rao family are about as popular as a pork pie at a bar mitzvah right now ... they'd be doing this to try to score points with the fans rather than appoint the best man for the job. But anyone would be a massive improvement on Kean that's for sure.

Somebody like Shearer would immediately get the place buzzing - and would probably add at least 6k to the gates over night - plus we would suddenly find people wanted to sponsor Rovers again. I think he is possibly astute enough (with the right number 2) to get this squad promoted - he would definitely have the respect of the players - and come the next transfer window would definitely be a name to attract top quality loans to hopefully bolster a promotion push. BUT - as many have said firstly we need to get rid of Kean.

Its not the solution for us, I'd take Abbey over Kean any day of the week, but an appoinment of Shearer and Sherwood would be a fan pleaser only, not the right move for us in my opinion.

Nixon hasn't got a Rovers related story right for a while now and the ones he has got right have come from sources on this site, take with a pinch of salt.

Archived