BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton v Rovers

Eddie

Personally, I think it would be worth trying either Dunn or Pedersen in the centre. Murphy needs taking out of the firing line at the moment. I would like to see Henley given a game and would certainly give Simon Vukcevic a few games on the right side of midfield. The return to fitness of Kazim-Richards and Marcus Olsson will give us more pace but I certainly think the likes of Henley and Vukcevic should at least be included in the squad. At the moment I find some of the selections baffling.

We've tried Pedersen in central midfield before, the game just passes him by. He should be able to play there but in reality he can't. Dunny is worth trying there given the fact that Murphy is another passenger.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've tried Pedersen in central midfield before, the game just passes him by. He should be able to play there but in reality he can't. Dunny is worth trying there given the fact that Murphy is another passenger.

Players with desire only please to be considered cos we have had a bellyful of the others. Unfortunately the bald ###### has forced all who fall under that category out of the club.

Midfiled has been a problem for Rovers since Tugay was in his prime. There needs to be a quick loan move for a holding defensive midfielder to free up Etuhu and Murphy to play further forward to link with the attack. Also, requiredon loan this week - a strong centre back who can command in the the air. Some premiership clubs seem to have an extensive squad beyond the 24 named and if Rovers pay wages-surely some will be happy to loan them out rather than playing in their reserves all season.

Disappointed Black went with the Kean line-up.

Pretty obvious he doesn't want the Rovers job in my opinion.

One sign that there is match fixing is the players who are not involved getting very angry with the players who are involved or so I have been told by experts on the subject....

Considering the players were at the hotel when kean resigned. They probable had no time to set up differently. I do not think it right to judge Black based on the Charlton match.

Match fixing, here we go again. At the moment this rumour belongs in the same bin as Kean owns part of the club rumour.

• Backroom

Pedersen have been dropped from the Norwegian National Team today because he is not good enough.

Doesn't surprise me. He's pretty much finished as a top level player IMO, his sole contribution now is set pieces and for most teams that just isn't enough.

• Moderation Lead

Very much of the belief we need Henley at LB, Martin Olsson LW, CKR RW, I'd drop Murphy for now, he's not looked good at all thus far, putting Dunn in alongside Etuhu....

Eric Black was in charge for only one day before Charlton, got a point and already fans are slating him and calling for him on the comments section of the Lancashire Telegraph ("Eric Black out!") I mean, seriously? Give the guy a break, he only had one day to prepare the team, why are they abusing him just after his first game in charge? Now I'm not saying Eric Black should take over permanently as manager, but it's ridiculous to see people insulting him and calling for his head already, particularly in the LT.

Very much of the belief we need Henley at LB, Martin Olsson LW, CKR RW, I'd drop Murphy for now, he's not looked good at all thus far, putting Dunn in alongside Etuhu....

My only concern about playing Henley is that he's going to be put into a defence that is slightly chaotic at the moment. Dann is error-prone, Hanley is still learning and Givet is mental. Not really a situation you want to stick a teenager into.

Robinson

Ribeiro Dann Hanley Olsson

Vukcevic Murphy Etuhu Nunes

Gomes Rhodes

I'd probably go with that, then replace Nunes with Kazim-Richards when fit and have those two swapping wings during a game to give opposition defenders different problems throughout the match.

But that means sticking in a left back who clearly isn't a left back, always gets caught out of position and never gets tight enough to the player outside of him.......also a player who would be devastating in this league if he was played on the wing.

And Henley came into the side last season when the defence was a shambles.....playing our best defenders will make it less of a shambles.

Our best CB needs to play as well.....I'd play Dunn over Murphy to give him a bit of a rest but mostly to give him a kick up the backside.

But that means sticking in a left back who clearly isn't a left back, always gets caught out of position and never gets tight enough to the player outside of him.

He seems to do a solid job for Sweden. I don't see how you can call someone who plays left back for his country "clearly" not a left back.

I agree he'd do a good job on the wing, but I don't think we have anyone to replace him at full back yet. Henley and Olsson looks a very weak combination to me.

He seems to do a solid job for Sweden. I don't see how you can call someone who plays left back for his country "clearly" not a left back.

I agree he'd do a good job on the wing, but I don't think we have anyone to replace him at full back yet. Henley and Olsson looks a very weak combination to me.

Because of the next things I said in that sentence.....always gets caught out of position and hardly ever gets tight enough to the winger or full back....that's not a full back if you ask me, rather a winger playing full back.....I think most of the reason he plays left back for Sweden is the fact there isn't many alternatives.

Henley needs to play because he's probably our best full back....which isn't saying much.....put him in the gym, strengthen him up sure, but it's not like less physical players don't do well in this league....Swansea is proof of that.....I don't remember him getting shrugged off the ball in the Prem either but that's not to say it didn't happen.

I remember Olsson being one of our best players when he played on the wing.....the Liverpool and Bolton home games and the Burnley away game instantly spring to mind......he seems to have improved on his crossing and his pace would terrorise opposition defences.....we need him further up the pitch.....occasionally he can go LB with Nunes ahead of him.....or Vukcevic ahead of him with Kazim on the right.

Because of the next things I said in that sentence.....always gets caught out of position and hardly ever gets tight enough to the winger or full back....that's not a full back if you ask me, rather a winger playing full back.....I think most of the reason he plays left back for Sweden is the fact there isn't many alternatives.

Henley needs to play because he's probably our best full back....which isn't saying much.....put him in the gym, strengthen him up sure, but it's not like less physical players don't do well in this league....Swansea is proof of that.....I don't remember him getting shrugged off the ball in the Prem either but that's not to say it didn't happen.

I remember Olsson being one of our best players when he played on the wing.....the Liverpool and Bolton home games and the Burnley away game instantly spring to mind......he seems to have improved on his crossing and his pace would terrorise opposition defences.....we need him further up the pitch.....occasionally he can go LB with Nunes ahead of him.....or Vukcevic ahead of him with Kazim on the right.

I'm saying nothing ___________________ Apart from the fact you're dead right.

Martin Ollson is not and never will be a full-back. He quite simply cannot tackle, and a FB that cannot tackle is even less useful than the proverbial chocolate tea pot.

He was EXTREMLEY lucky not to see a red card against Charlton. The ref quite simply got it wrong in not sending him off. His tackle was both badly timed and over the top, and not for the first time either.

I played full back when I was a player Fife and I came up at the same time as Keith Newton. What a player to model yourself on, if I'd half been half as good as he was I would have made It. Having said that I think I know what it takes to play full-back and I'm convincedj the lad's not suited to the position. He doesn't read the game particularly well, his positional play is poor, he's not alert enough, he doesn't sense danger. He's very impetuous in the tackle, he doesn't know how to jockey a player he just dives in, recklessly at times. He doesn't impose himself on an opponent either. What he has got is pace, he can go past people, he has a good engine and a decent pass. Why not play him in a position where he can use these attributes ?

Eric Black was in charge for only one day before Charlton, got a point and already fans are slating him and calling for him on the comments section of the Lancashire Telegraph ("Eric Black out!") I mean, seriously? Give the guy a break, he only had one day to prepare the team, why are they abusing him just after his first game in charge? Now I'm not saying Eric Black should take over permanently as manager, but it's ridiculous to see people insulting him and calling for his head already, particularly in the LT.

Think you totally misunderstand the general feeling that Rovers fans have towards anyone who has a good word to say about Steve Kean and poor Eric seems to have made that mistake already.

I played full back when I was a player Fife and I came up at the same time as Keith Newton. What a player to model yourself on, if I'd half been half as good as he was I would have made It. Having said that I think I know what it takes to play full-back and I'm convincedj the lad's not suited to the position. He doesn't read the game particularly well, his positional play is poor, he's not alert enough, he doesn't sense danger. He's very impetuous in the tackle, he doesn't know how to jockey a player he just dives in, recklessly at times. He doesn't impose himself on an opponent either. What he has got is pace, he can go past people, he has a good engine and a decent pass. Why not play him in a position where he can use these attributes ?

Agree with all of that.....he just doesn't look like a left back.....the instructions he receives won't help but I've never thought he looked comfortable there.

He has pace but the winger that I remember causing him the most problems was Lennon.

If we played him on the wing, I have no doubt he'd be one of our best players.

I remember that game against Spurs. He was totally embarrassing, I think he lasted whilst the 30th minute before the last scything missed tackle earned him the early bath. The ref sent him off to spare him further punishment. Pace is an essential but you need one or two other tools in your toolbox to play full back.

I remember that game against Spurs. He was totally embarrassing, I think he lasted whilst the 30th minute before the last scything missed tackle earned him the early bath. The ref sent him off to spare him further punishment. Pace is an essential but you need one or two other tools in your toolbox to play full back.

To be fair, he was horribly exposed in that game with no support from the player in front of him. A full back on his own, against pace, will always struggle which is why the winger/midfielder in front has to track back and cover. It's much easier to run at one player than two.

Ivan, You must be new to this game. Previously winger versus full back match ups were a duel, you lived or died by how you dealt with your opponent. If nothing came down your wing and no crosses came in for 90 minutes you'd had a good day.Today you get loads of converted wingers playing at full back who don't know how to defend. Trouble is most of them are not particularly good on attack either. Our guy is not on his own, there are plenty of really poor defenders playing full back today. To expect players on your own side to drop back continually to help you out when they could be causing problems down the other end of the field is a recent trend.

Archived