BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

'Arry does seem to spend enormous sums of money, that would worry me taking our owners previous track record (excluding Rhodes). I would like a proven manager, McCarthy would be ok. I do not want a rookie and not from lower leagues.

I presume any manager would normaly bring his own back room staff in (not sure our next manager will be allowed to do this due to the severance packages we'd have to pay).

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit tricky, this one - would prefer someone with experience, but I can't see many exciting choices currently available. Was hardly impressed with McCarthy in his last season and a half in charge of Wolves. Curbishley would be decent, but he'd splash what cash Venky's would make available to him on Kieron Dyer and other players that peaked in 2004 (his transfer dealings as West Ham manager were borderline insane at times).

Poyet has been impressive, but I bet he wouldn't come - same goes for Holloway and O'Driscoll. Karl Robinson is unproven at this level and a bit of a wildcard, so I'd stay clear of him. I doubt anyone would be able to lure Klinsmann to Blackburn, and Ralf Rangnick is probably unrealistic as well.

I have a feeling we'll end up with an old favourite, possibly Sherwood. However, the dream scenario is that Holloway gets the gig.

Mccarthy is a poor manager IMO. Never cut it in the perm & is plain awful in the transfer market... Something very important to smaller clubs like ourselves. I'd prefer a young, forward thinking manager with or without experience. If that person needs a season to settle then fine, i'd prefer someone I'd have enough respect for to back even if it means we're relegated with them again.

For me:

1. Shearer.

(Best Rovers player of all time & 8 games at Newcastle does not make him a bad manager!!!! He'd sell out Ewood regularly.)

2. Solskjaer.

3. Tugay

Mick McCarthy? Didn't he get Sunderland's worst finish in the Premiership with just 18 points, leaving them dead last and relegated? Didn't he almost get Wolverhampton relegated two seasons ago and was sacked last season because he was on course for relegation? Hiring him would be the same as letting Steve Kean stay, wouldn't it? I know everyone hates Kean and all, but that doesn't mean we should be jumping for any manager blindly just because he isn't Kean. But then again that's just my opinion, and it's worth nothing.

Well, considering that Shebby Singh is good friends with Harry Rednapp, I wouldn't put it past him to succeed in convincing him to manage Rovers - he did succeed in convincing Danny Murphy, Nuno Gomes and was responsible for the transfer of Jordan Rhodes. And now he has done the impossible - getting Kean to resign. Basically Shebby Singh is the guy who can make the impossible possible (inside parody here, doubt anyone here watches Japanese animation) so I wouldn't be surprised if he got Rednapp or a big name manager to take a step down and come to Rovers.

Of course, if what Kamy says is true ("Now that Shebby Singh is on the scene, he might have his own ideas"), it could also mean that Shebby Singh is gunning for the manager's job himself. Of course, knowing Shebby Singh from his time in Malaysia (and writing commentaries for Singapore), I would say that's unlikely, but you'll never know......

Robinson would be a good choice for us. people will say no experience at Championshipbut neither did Hughes when he came to rovers. But Hughes had a good backroom team in Mark Bowen, etc

Karl Robinson number 2 at MK dons is Mick Harford.

Alex Rae left almost 2 years as number 2 to him to link up with Paul Ince at Notts County

For me, Sherwood and Jordan would have us playing attractive effective football in no time at all. Fortress Ewood once again.

Shearer?? No thanks - dull as ditchwater, no managerial experience to speak of, more interested in his punditry career than in contributing anything real to the game anymore. Too big an ego and too much of a risk.

Curbishley? Well, just because Pardew has worked wonders with the barcodes, it doesn't automatically follow that smoeone in a similar vein would do the same with Rovers. However, I think he could be a safe pair of hands

McCarthy? No thanks - plenty of people here have already pointed out his limitations. Just because he looks like something from a Lemony Snicket, it doesn't mean he would breeze in here like Count Olaf.

Flitty & Jansen? I can see why Gary has chucked his hat in the ring, but think it would be a step too far at this stage.

Solskjaer? Why would he come here? Can't see it..

Grayson - worth a shout. Sets his teams up well and has a Rovers pedigree.

Holloway? Well, we know he is barmy, but why would he?

Tugay? Hmmm, how about a Tugay / Friedel team? It would be entertainment all the way with a guarantee of commitment and backbone... This I would definitely like.

Assuming Shebby is leading the manager hunt, he should at the very least have a conversation with Rafa Benitez or his representatives to see what it would take to get his interest. The man's been out of a job since late 2010/early 2011, so you never know, he might be itching. If he's even vaguely interested... push the boat out and get him. Pitch it as a five year project for Europe or something, though I doubt our owners are able to think strategic. That said, I dont think Benitez suffers fools...

Mick McCarthy? Didn't he get Sunderland's worst finish in the Premiership with just 18 points, leaving them dead last and relegated? Didn't he almost get Wolverhampton relegated two seasons ago and was sacked last season because he was on course for relegation? Hiring him would be the same as letting Steve Kean stay, wouldn't it? I know everyone hates Kean and all, but that doesn't mean we should be jumping for any manager blindly just because he isn't Kean. But then again that's just my opinion, and it's worth nothing.

Well, considering that Shebby Singh is good friends with Harry Rednapp, I wouldn't put it past him to succeed in convincing him to manage Rovers - he did succeed in convincing Danny Murphy, Nuno Gomes and was responsible for the transfer of Jordan Rhodes. And now he has done the impossible - getting Kean to resign. Basically Shebby Singh is the guy who can make the impossible possible (inside parody here, doubt anyone here watches Japanese animation) so I wouldn't be surprised if he got Rednapp or a big name manager to take a step down and come to Rovers.

Of course, if what Kamy says is true ("Now that Shebby Singh is on the scene, he might have his own ideas"), it could also mean that Shebby Singh is gunning for the manager's job himself. Of course, knowing Shebby Singh from his time in Malaysia (and writing commentaries for Singapore), I would say that's unlikely, but you'll never know......

I think you are overlooking the fact that we aren't in the Premier League. We need promotion and McCarthy has an excellent record at getting just that. Your assesment of him as a top flight manager is spot on though.

Let's be honest though, those championing Holloway - exact same issues as above. Great Championship manager but couldn't get his team defending in the Premier League.

For me I'd go straight for Harry on a short term deal with a massive promotion bonus. I'm nervous about another inexperienced manager because Kean, Ince and Kidd are fresh in my mind.

Holloway would be fantastic - but would he leave Blackpool?

Curbishley WAS a good manager, but why has he been unemployed for so long?

Sherwood - fans favourite but no managerial experience, a gamble?

Solskjaer, Klinsmann, Redknapp - file under 'unrealistic'.

McCarthy - decent, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Di Canio for me - done a great job, must have a cracking list of contacts, can't doubt his passion and knowledge, hugely charismatic, players would respect someone of his calibre, and he's a bit mental.

One thing I'll keep a close eye on today - Danny Murphy. Lots of snippets about him being unavailable today, my gut instinct was he isn't injured, just peed off at the way the team was set up to play. Temp assistant manager perhaps?

I think the older managers are now out of touch, the game and tactics have changed somewhat, Curbishley and Souness have been out of the game for too long in my opinion, younger players around now relate to younger managers who they knew as players etc.

Plus younger managers know more about players of this era, Sam would be fine as he has not had a real break from the game but in the case of Souness and Curbishley, we are talking a few years!!

As for Sherwood, a possibility but only with a good experienced number 2 alongside him!!

As a longshot Frank Rijkard! (sorry Splitscreen but I still think maybe)

Di Canio for me - done a great job, must have a cracking list of contacts, can't doubt his passion and knowledge, hugely charismatic, players would respect someone of his calibre, and he's a bit mental.

Would be my first choice as well.

There was an article in the Sun, 12-18 months ago outlining his routine on matchday. The amount of work and attention to detail he put in was astonishing. For example the hours after the game when you would expect him to be winding down with a glass of red were spent analysing the game on his laptop.

I remember thinking "I bet no-one else puts that sort of effort in at that level." No surprise to me he seems to be doing exceptionally well.

Plus he is extremely passionate and can be mad as a box of frogs on occasion. I bet he would really kick some ass if any of the players weren't performing.

Much as I hated Kean and being a yes man he brought this on himself, any new manager coming in will insist, as part of his contract, team selection and transfer policies should be part of the managers brief, anything less than that and we will be in the same situation.

A manager selects his own team, his tactics and should have the final say on all transfers!

Archived