BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

Don't know why so many people want us to go for someone with no/limited management experience.. :( IMO that madness, look at our record with coaches and up and coming managers it really is abysmal (Ince, Kidd, Harford... Kean).. then look at other clubs and how they have done with inexperience in charge.. ok sure there are the odd standout exceptions but overall the chance of these guys making a success of what is our most important season is a gamble to far.

AS it stands its actually a nice little number for any new manager.. the likes of Redknapp maybe interested simply because given the investment in the squad its a nice little chance of getting a club promoted and enhancing his reputation at the same time. Venkys this season have also shown a willingness to invest and have a history of backing the manager plus they will know that any new manager after Kean will be a cult hero pretty much instantly.

I still stick by Schuster and Salgado as my dream team.. they are the perfect combo imo and have importantly worked together before and Schuster has a history of taking on challenges and has strong bonds with his players. Added to that unlike allot of other options this is the sort of combo that would have more of a long term plan behind it.. because you can pretty much guarantee that the likes of Curbs, McLeish, Redknapp, Rafa et all would jump ship the second a real opportunity came up to be either closer to home or at a more high profile club.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need someone who can come in and galvanise the club, getting the fans back on board with the performances on the field would be a start.

We should have the squad capable of automatic promotion, I mean even under that bell end Kean we were picking up points whilst playing gash ... if we can get the boys playing and with the fans well and truly onside we should be flying.

Sherwood might work out with an experienced nr. 2 like Kamy said. Would absolutely love it if we could get someone like Ray Wilkins in some capacity at the club. Remember how Chelseas form dropped when he left them 2 years ago.

Solskjaer could also be fun. Wouldn't it be something if Wolves and Rovers got promoted - both with Norwegian managers?

Either way.....hopefully exciting times ahead and we will get to see a fitter and organized Rovers from here on out! Happy days!

It says there he's the assistant first team coach, to me that means he's not even the no1 on the coaching staff. I'd be very careful here.I may be in a small minority but for me he was a Big Time Charlie when he was a player and from what I've been told was a major destabilising force behind the scenes. Walk away I think.

Yep he is currently one step lower than Kean was prior to him being promoted.. he is supposed to have a very good reputation within the game though.

IMO he fails to tick many boxes in terms of what we really need.. to me he isn't the sort of person who would instantly have the respect of players like Nuno and Murphy, he does not have the management experience, he has no track record whatsoever, it is pretty doubtful he will have the contacts (players/agents/managers) within the game, he wont come equiped with an experienced back room team (I seriously doubt someone like Jordan would want to work with one of his jnrs)....

But then again he isn't Steve Kean.. so..

On a small side note.. one thing sherwood does bring would be a bit more on the fitness side of things.. as this is where he started out at Tottenham (fitness coach).

Ray Wilkins is undoubtedly top class and would be a great number 2 if he was even slightly interested, I've always thought Glenn Hoddle and Ray Wilkins would be a great combo for any club, Hoddle was ahead of his time, surprised he hasn't been approached more often in the past.

Sherwood is looking the likely choice to be honest, I don't think he'd turn it down, could be waiting a long time for a chance at management otherwise. AVB's future may be in question a little but if they've turned him down for DoF then he probably wouldn't stand much chance of getting the nod as manager either if AVB was removed in the future.

You forget. Souey steered us through a bad patch, got us promoted (and followed up with a trophy).

This time around, promotion is all that's required.

I wasn't pleased when he left. I'd take him back in a heartbeat - even if we lost Dunny in the process...

me too

• Moderation Lead

He'd be my first choice, we'd get some decent football, weaken one of our closest rivals in promotion and have a laugh in the process.

Doubt Ollie would come, but most definitely my first choice.

Thinking about it, is there a possibility that we might get a Redknapp/Sherwood management team? Redknapp's been spotted in the area (per vaarious posts) and the press has documented our approach for Sherwood.

Sherwood is only an assistant first team coach so jumping him up to manager immediately seems a foolhardy risk. But putting Redknapp in charge, with a contract term that allows him to leave if a better deal comes along (let's face it, Rovers are not the flavor of the month) gves us the best of all worlds and gives Sherwood time to learn the management ropes.

Just a thought. Assuming my wild speculation is not well founded, I hereby re-nominate Curbishly. :tu:

And I need to change my sig considering Venkys have finally done the right thing, or at least created the situation were the right thing was done.

no problem at all with sherwood, been there done it as a player, stayed in the game at the highest level and seems a clued up fella when he speaks would'nt see him being anyones puppet.

I don't give too much weight to the experience arguments, plenty of experienced appointments have done appalling jobs at other clubs how many clubs have the likes of strachen, megson, etc been s### at..............just need the right fit for the club, Hughes only had national experience with a joke country and ended being the best we've had since Kenny

don't shoot me down in flames but what about stuart mccall at motherwell, got them into the champions league qualifiers (yes by default) and motherwell sit top of the spl at the moment, been there and done it as a player and he is a strong character

That's a decent shout n he's working miracles up there! Love his half Scottish n half Yorkshire accent lol

glen mullan@glen9mullan

What's everyone's thoughts on Flitcroft , Jansen , short triple team fa rovers ?

I'd say "Next!".

Likewise, can't even believe anyone would tout Souness. He started off very well but had completely lost the plot before the end.

Nearly relegated us then would have relegated us had Freddy Shepherd not stepped in and rescued our dithering Board. And Mark Hughes not subsequently worked a near miracle.

We'd end up with something like 5 left backs on the pitch again and in my view he'd cripple us financially with more duff signings from the Willie McKay stable.

He hasn't managed for years either.

Archived