BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan 'Nicko' Nixon

Hasta

Remember when Nicko first arrived on here. Initially there was a slight novelty factor in having a journalist who was releasing info that previously most of us wouldn't have been privvy to. It soon iritatingly degenerated into a Forum for people who hung on his every word.

I can't remember the full in an outs of what he wrote regarding the Venkys takeover. However I do remember his enthusiasm when Kean got the job, even going so far as to calling him a 'gem'. Throughout Keans in-glorious reign Nixon has often published articles which, IMO, have always sympathised on the side of the manager. Stories like Kean staying and his new contract were often first outed by Nixon - the info straight from the horses mouth you may presume.

For my sins I've flicked through his article on the back page of todays Mirror. It immediately reads like a PR mouthpiece for Mr Kean. A tale of a broken man who for 18 months has fought one battle on one side and another battle on another. It's almost as though Kean himselfhas wrote the article to appeal for the sympathy of other people who watch or are within the game. It also, in my opinion, looks like a piece that is well placed to help influence minds should this become a constructive dismissal case.

Nixon has criticised the LT and Cryer for lack of knowledge on many occasions. The difference between the two is that Cryer reports news and facts when they happen and uses a seperate piece for personal comments. Nixon appears to write stories to suit the agenda's of people he is close to regardless of their truth. (Conor Wickham not Jordan Rhodes anyone)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness he said from the start we would get Rhodes. He's also the only one that said Kean would be out before the weekend.

He without doubt has the best sources of any ITK we have access to, across the whole of English football, not just Rovers. However he does have certain people he is close to and will write articles favouring those people. You probably don't have such good sources unless you are willing to do that.

He said Kean would be sacked before Saturday. Everyone else including Cryer believed he would be sacked but not before this weekend as there was no-one coming over to sack him. Kean resigns the night before Saturday game. Coincindence? Or very well planned?

At the end of the day (Gotta love that football cliche) he's entitled to his opinion like anyone else. If you don't like it then don't read it. I certainly don't agree with everything he says and would agree he certainly seemed pro Kean from the start but aren't they quite close? You'd expect him to stick up for a friend and we have to be honest, he provided us with a lot of information that we wouldn't have always known.

The media and news companies have not been publishing what's really going on in the world from a neutral standpoint for a long time, they suit their own agenda or the agenda of whoever funds them so you can hardly expect the back pages of a tabloid newspaper to be much different, but I guess that's a whole other story.

I do think the site is better off without him though as it did get a little silly with the begging for news and for the 11 o'clockers and people coming on here just for that. He's very available on twitter and responds a lot so he's never far away, easy to get his opinion on things if you want it and for those that don't then they no longer have to read it on here.

Remember when Nicko first arrived on here. Initially there was a slight novelty factor in having a journalist who was releasing info that previously most of us wouldn't have been privvy to. It soon iritatingly degenerated into a Forum for people who hung on his every word.

I can't remember the full in an outs of what he wrote regarding the Venkys takeover. However I do remember his enthusiasm when Kean got the job, even going so far as to calling him a 'gem'. Throughout Keans in-glorious reign Nixon has often published articles which, IMO, have always sympathised on the side of the manager. Stories like Kean staying and his new contract were often first outed by Nixon - the info straight from the horses mouth you may presume.

For my sins I've flicked through his article on the back page of todays Mirror. It immediately reads like a PR mouthpiece for Mr Kean. A tale of a broken man who for 18 months has fought one battle on one side and another battle on another. It's almost as though Kean himselfhas wrote the article to appeal for the sympathy of other people who watch or are within the game. It also, in my opinion, looks like a piece that is well placed to help influence minds should this become a constructive dismissal case.

Nixon has criticised the LT and Cryer for lack of knowledge on many occasions. The difference between the two is that Cryer reports news and facts when they happen and uses a seperate piece for personal comments. Nixon appears to write stories to suit the agenda's of people he is close to regardless of their truth. (Conor Wickham not Jordan Rhodes anyone)

You've probably just crushed Chaddyrovers.

You abusive so and so.

Nicko's info has been spot on for a long long time-people have very short memories. CKR arriving, Kean going before the weekend and our pursuit of Rhodes was covered by him.

He will make mistakes and have bias towards certain people- he is a journo after all! I welcome his input as I

do Glen and Kamy.

I believe what Alan "Nicko" Nixon has to say, to the extent that I don't think he lies or tries to deceive us. Of course there will be times where his information will turn out to be wrong, but who among us have always scored perfect scores for all our exams? Additionally, there is no right answer in journalism - an event can turn tail in one second and head off in a completely different direction, rendering previous speculation and reports obselete. It's not fair to accuse people of lying or deceiving if they got their information wrong. That said, I don't always agree with what Nicko has to say, and I do question what he writes sometimes. It's just that I'm not cynical enough to accuse him of being a lying illegitimate who is Kean's ally or whatever.

And of course everyone will write with an agenda. It's impossible for anyone to be completely objective. I can try, but I'll always end up being inclined to side with one party over the other. I'm sure you will too. Particularly if it involves Kean, you'll most certainly take the side against him when writing an article. So I don't see what problem there is with Nicko having an agenda in his articles. Just don't believe everything he writes, but no need to slag him off. I'm grateful for the information he provides, whether it turns out to be accurate or not.

" I believe what Alan "Nicko" Nixon has to say".

Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear ;)

The fat controller will be providing tit bits of news and transfer info etc for all his favourite contacts in the press and media, in return he'll expect certain favours. He needs nicko and nicko needs him. Why else also do you think SKY provided him with a full 20 minute platform for his blubbering performance in distancing himself from the demise of BRFC?

• Backroom

Nixon has very good sources on some things (mainly to do with SEM) and less on other aspects of the club.

He was the only one who called Kean leaving before the weekend. Could have been a coincidence, but I think not. Am sure Kean had made Nixon aware that he would not be in charge at Charlton, one way or another.

I've always found him approachable and unlike most journalists he'll carry on a conversation over twitter. Prefer him being on twitter than on here, though.

Nixon is like a blind man throwing darts at a board. Occassionally one sticks but he's a fully paid up member of the kean loving crew. It's best not to pay any attention to his ramblings

In brief, this ^.

Nixon is a freelancer for a red-top.

If he had any journalistic talent or any real contacts, he'd be doing better for himself at this stage of his life and career.

He was only a big advocate of Kean because Kean was willing to talk directly to Nixon and give him information.

No idea if the rumours of him being in SEM's pocket have any credance...

Either way, a 1-in-100 success rate two-bob hack who will sell himself to whoever promises to provide the most information.

" I believe what Alan "Nicko" Nixon has to say".

Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear ;)

The fat controller will be providing tit bits of news and transfer info etc for all his favourite contacts in the press and media, in return he'll expect certain favours. He needs nicko and nicko needs him. Why else also do you think SKY provided him with a full 20 minute platform for his blubbering performance in distancing himself from the demise of BRFC?

You did read the rest of what I wrote, right? Man, why do people just quote part of my sentence out of context? Abbey just did that to me yesterday. Maybe I should write my posts in shorter sentences. Of course there will be distortions or inaccuracies in nicko's articles, but I'm not going to accuse him of being a lying pro-Kean yarn-spinner as some are making him out to be here.

I quite like Nicko. Its interesting to hear 'in the know' titbits....even if some of it isn`t totally accurate.

DON`T take everything as gospel & enjoy the ride.

Rovers fans should remember the world does NOT revolve around Rovers. You can`t go around hating/slating everybody who says something that doesn`t bathe Rovers in glory.

I quite like Nicko. Its interesting to hear 'in the know' titbits....even if some of it isn`t totally accurate.

Rovers fans should remember the world does NOT revolve around Rovers. You can`t go around hating/slating everybody who says something that doesn`t bathe Rovers in glory.

I completely agree with this. This was what I meant, yeah.

Fair points imo

Even on the Kean situation, he was saying Kean is going. Waiting for a meeting to take place etc. Nobody though reported that kean would resign - surprised everybody

Fair points imo

Even on the Kean situation, he was saying Kean is going. Waiting for a meeting to take place etc. Nobody though reported that kean would resign - surprised everybody

Everyone said Kean was going. Everyone also said they were not going to sack him before Saturday. Nixon was confident he would be gone before Saturday. Kean resigns saying his position is untenable. Nixon writes very sypathetic pro-Kean piece on Satudays back page. Coincidence?

The fact that he even called Kean a gem after hearing him speak for 5 minutes was crazy and I told him this at the time, its all been a huge embarrassment for Nicko lost a lot of creditability on the forum so had to go and was trying to save face in the media.

He has to believe he is right about football and if he comes here 200 people remind him he called Kean a "Gem" after one press conference.

Actually thinks its a shame Nicko committed so early to Kean, as when I heard him on the radio I though he talked some good sense.

maybe everyone can move on from that now anyway.

Nicko is an idiot, only trying to make himself look important. Yes he may have been right on rhodes but he also linked us with Simon cox, the one from sunderland and a couple of others. If you shoot while blindfolded you will eventually hit the target.

I tweeted him once in february replying to him on venkys, wrote that noone could be worse owners than venkys and that my dog would do a better job.

He actually blocked me because of that tweet, and frankly i don't miss him

I think originally when Nicko first started posting his info here, it was appreciated by all and there was a good atmosphere about the board. However, I think all the nickoteens turned his head and he started becoming intolerant of anyone who disagrees with him and there would be insults (from both sides) poisoning this board. So, i feel we're better without him here. Having said that, i think we're appreciative of the info he provided over the years.

Archived