BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Eric Black

Stuart

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you give us any hope that they will get this right MG ? something like they are keeping Madame can'tdecide locked in a cupboard until they have got someone?, any news if the brother's have won the family squabble over the club?

The name 'Sherwood' is popping up a lot. I guessing that they're hesitant as the last time they chose an inexperienced manager, it didn't end well.

The name 'Sherwood' is popping up a lot. I guessing that they're hesitant as the last time they chose an inexperienced manager, it didn't end well.

£3m bill from Daniel Levy might be one reason - for that price they might tempt West Ham to release Big Sam and make good the worst mistake they made.

so m.g, your mentioning inexperience as a stumbling block and yet venkys are considering black, go figure!!!

as for black himself, if he had an ounce of dignity he would step aside and let the club choose the right man and not himself, if he has thrown his hat in the ring, it smacks me as another desperate number 2 who wants a good payrise and one last fling with managing a club before he is turfed onto the scrapheap with kean. Im not saying he is anything like kean but surely he can see himself number 2s are usually not management material. i cant say i will be able to support him or chant his name because it will be like we have been there before. He should step away and let the club choose a manager than can MANAGE!!!

Let's face it, Eric Black isn't going to get bums on seats. The Kean Out factor can only go so far. If Venky's really want to increase revenue, they're gonna have to do better than promote another member of the backroom.

The next manager hasn't been decided upon yet so I guess it's conceivable that Black could be made permanent manager.

However, the whispers I'm hearing from inside Ewood say that we're looking for somebody else as his team selection/tactics are too similar to SK's to make him a serious contender for the job.

I would have thought they would want that considering the idiots were not going to sack Kean :wstu:

Just to correct the original post - Black did publicly back Kean on Talksport when he said he has worked wonders and should win the manager of the year award last season.

Edit: actually Black's words were "Kean deserves a knighthood"

Hmm

can i mention one example of a manager who inherited a job off his predecessor? he was said predecessor's number 2, he was mates with the players and they didnt respect him and it all back fired horibly, his replacement came in and tore strips off them and put them in their place and we started winning again, im talking about steve mclaren of course with england, we don't want that scenario at rovers with eric black

Just to correct the original post - Black did publicly back Kean on Talksport when he said he has worked wonders and should win the manager of the year award last season.

Edit: actually Black's words were "Kean deserves a knighthood"

Hmm

Oh Dear Eric

http://www.talksport...ger-year-170913

"Kean deserves a Knighthood let alone manager of the year"

"Kean is overseeing a massive transitional period at the club"

"I just think he has shown amazing integrity. And having worked with several managers, looking at the credentials that he has, erm it's been a really hard gig but he has the potential to be an exceptionally good manager and I hope he is given that opportunity"

"It looks like he has acheived 3 years work in less than a year" - Yes he did Eric. It can take 3 years to relegated a club

A lot of negativity towards Black and for people to say things likle 'what can her offer tactically and motivationally that Kean couldn't' is a ridiculous statement as we know nothing about him.

I don't see Eric Black as the long term future manager for Rovers BUT if he wins the next 2 games then I think (at the risk of being eaten by the board) it might be a good idea to give him the chance to take us up.

I'm worried about appointing a new manager, especially an unproven one. The fact is that any new guy coming in will PROBABLY take time to settle. This is time we don't have in this league so it's a massive gamble. IF Black has the respect of the players then maybe it will help us big time. I don't agree with this whole Kean mach 2 stuff because he won't be able to repeat Kean's mistakes. If he has a record like Kean had by January he will be gone. He will probably walk. Nobody can possibily be as deluded as Steve Kean. He will also have Shebby and the owners on his back from day 1 so pressure will be there. I'm sure he won't be as pally with Mrs D.

I know I will be criticised but all I'm saying is, rather than rush an appointment and take a massive gamble, Black COULD be a safe bet and give us the best chance of promotion IF he has the dressing room and wins the next 2 games.

Can't believe what I'm reading!Are Venkys going to make the same mistake all over again but this time we should support them?!!!!!Another El Cheapo promotion from within the club, leading to another long outburst of loyalty from Mrs Desai when the results go backwards?

The noises coming out of Ewood seem to be "give Black a chance, let's see what he can do".

We cannot afford another gamble of this sort or we'll be finished. He'll have my full support (and everyone else's I assume) for the 2 or 3 games I hope he's in temporary charge but all the while the search for a real manager must go on.

He's simply too close to Kean and has NO track record as a manager. Are people losing their senses?

Signs are eerily reminiscent of when Sam was sacked and Kean appointed. Hope I'm wrong.

Someone has written that Black "deserves a chance"

Why exactly---because he just happens to be here already?

We need a blast of fresh air flowing through Ewood, starting with a NEW manager--a real one.

Signs are eerily reminiscent of when Sam was sacked and Kean appointed. Hope I'm wrong.

Someone has written that Black "deserves a chance"

Why exactly---because he just happens to be here already?

We need a blast of fresh air flowing through Ewood, starting with a NEW manager--a real one.

Totally agree.

As others have pointed out - if Black wasn't here already, would anyone be mentioning him for the job? No. Therefore he's not the right man.

Even if he wins 2 games he's still not the right man. Kean managed to win 2 games with this squad in this league.

Can't believe what I'm reading!Are Venkys going to make the same mistake all over again but this time we should support them?!!!!!Another El Cheapo promotion from within the club, leading to another long outburst of loyalty from Mrs Desai when the results go backwards?

The noises coming out of Ewood seem to be "give Black a chance, let's see what he can do".

We cannot afford another gamble of this sort or we'll be finished. He'll have my full support (and everyone else's I assume) for the 2 or 3 games I hope he's in temporary charge but all the while the search for a real manager must go on.

He's simply too close to Kean and has NO track record as a manager. Are people losing their senses?

Completely agree with this post.

I admire peoples nature to "give someone a chance" - but this feels exactly like what happened with Kean. We all know how that turned out.

The club simply must bring in someone experienced, to do anything otherwise would be suicidal.

I admire peoples nature to "give someone a chance" - but this feels exactly like what happened with Kean. We all know how that turned out.

The club simply must bring in someone experienced, to do anything otherwise would be suicidal.

Either experienced or with genuine potential.

With regards to Black and his managerial potential, you have to ask why he has never made it as a manager before now aged 49 if he's good enough.

I appreciate Steve Clarke has just started at the same age, but he can count Newcastle, Liverpool and Chelsea among his past employers as an assistant. Black has peaked at Birmingham, Wigan and Rovers.

wonder if this will be sung tonight "ERIC BLACK'S CHICKEN BIRIYANI"

I hope not! It could easily be mistaken for the real chant and interpreted as support for Eric Black.

so m.g, your mentioning inexperience as a stumbling block and yet venkys are considering black, go figure!!!

as for black himself, if he had an ounce of dignity he would step aside and let the club choose the right man and not himself, if he has thrown his hat in the ring, it smacks me as another desperate number 2 who wants a good payrise and one last fling with managing a club before he is turfed onto the scrapheap with kean. Im not saying he is anything like kean but surely he can see himself number 2s are usually not management material. i cant say i will be able to support him or chant his name because it will be like we have been there before. He should step away and let the club choose a manager than can MANAGE!!!

I realise that you wrote your post before the news in the LT broke today.......BUT.... now that it has broken, I would say that the way Eric Black handled the Gael Givet strop shows a very fine understanding of man-management. I know this is only one incident, and far too soon to make any sort of judgement on in isolation, but it does show that people should not be too hasty and jump to conclusions just yet. Just take a deep breath, step back, and allow the man at least a few games before rushing to judgement.

Oh and please understand I am neither advocating nor condemning his candidature for the managers job..... I am just asking people not to be too anxious to rule him out (or anyone else for that matter) without allowing time and space for the proper due considerations.

Even if Black enjoys a blitzing caretaker period, it's still a thumbs down from me. We don't need a kneejerk appointment, we need someone who's been there and done it - be it a veteran manager or a rising star. So I can totally see why people are anxious about another coach/assistant getting promoted above his station. The club is in dangerous need of some stability, we can't afford another Kean-esque gamble.

Apparently Eric Black HAS managed before, with stints at Motherwell and Coventry, so no one can criticize him for being inexperienced. And he actually did very well at Coventry before he left to join Steve Bruce or something, so you can't accuse him for being inexperienced or a bad manager. Of course, I'm not saying "let's get Eric Black in as the new manager IMMEDIATELY!" but people are quick to criticize without even knowing anything about the guy.

And before anyone points it out, Eric Black didn't do too well at Motherwell, I know that as well.

Apparently Eric Black HAS managed before, with stints at Motherwell and Coventry, so no one can criticize him for being inexperienced. And he actually did very well at Coventry before he left to join Steve Bruce or something, so you can't accuse him for being inexperienced or a bad manager. Of course, I'm not saying "let's get Eric Black in as the new manager IMMEDIATELY!" but people are quick to criticize without even knowing anything about the guy.

And before anyone points it out, Eric Black didn't do too well at Motherwell, I know that as well.

His time at Motherwell and Coventry doesn't even add up to a full season, of course you can call him inexperienced!

His time at Motherwell and Coventry doesn't even add up to a full season, of course you can call him inexperienced!

Oh I thought what everyone meant by inexperience was that Eric Black never managed a team before because they were judging Alan Shearer based on his "experience" of just 8 matches.

I don't see Eric Black as the long term future manager for Rovers BUT if he wins the next 2 games then I think (at the risk of being eaten by the board) it might be a good idea to give him the chance to take us up.

Madness. Total madness.

What if he has Kean's little honeymood period? A big aspect of Kean leaving should be about getting the fans back, feeling excited again....Black isn't going to do that.

Archived