BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Eric Black

Stuart

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll reserve judgement until after his first home performance tomorrow against one of the divisions fancied teams.

A clean sheet with a good attacking winning performance will go a long way in persuading the powers that be that he could do the job. Another dire performance and I think he will have blown his chances.

It might persuade the "powers that be" but it wouldn't persuade me. 3 games as a manager in his entire career? Crazy (as usual).

It might persuade the "powers that be" but it wouldn't persuade me. 3 games as a manager in his entire career? Crazy (as usual).

He's actually managed more than Kean did before he got the job.

Motherwell and Coventry

And caretaker at Birmingham and Sunderland for one game each.

I'll reserve judgement until after his first home performance tomorrow against one of the divisions fancied teams.

A clean sheet with a good attacking winning performance will go a long way in persuading the powers that be that he could do the job. Another dire performance and I think he will have blown his chances.

No. This isn't 'The X Factor'. Historically teams have a bounce when a manager is sacked/resigns and this shouldn't be used to assess a caretaker's credentials. Black has no right to be in with a shout and we need a clean break from the previous regime.

Indeed. Chelsea were stupid to hire Di Matteo.

(Obviously that doesn't mean I think we should have Black as full time manager - but I do think it is important to look at a mans performance rather than just write it off as a honeymoon period. He's not done anything yet to get the job, anyway)

Do a bit of research, I think you'll find he's managed far more than three games

Ok I have. You're right in terms of numbers but its hardly impressive is it?

Is this the man to turn our fortunes around? I don't think so!

Team Nat From To G W D L Win % Motherwell 22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png 16 October 2001 24 April 2002 27 7 4 16 25.93 Coventry City 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 11 December 2003 3 May 2004 26 12 4 10 46.15 Birmingham City (caretaker) 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 19 November 2007 28 November 2007 1 0 0 1 0.00 Sunderland (caretaker) 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 1 December 2011 4 December 2011 1 0 0 1 0.00 Blackburn Rovers (caretaker) 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 28 September 2012 present 2 0 2 0 0.00 Total 57 19 10 28 33.33

[edit]

Ok I have. You're right in terms of numbers but its hardly impressive is it?

Is this the man to turn our fortunes around? I don't think so!

Team Nat From To G W D L Win % Motherwell 22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png 16 October 2001 24 April 2002 27 7 4 16 25.93 Coventry City 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 11 December 2003 3 May 2004 26 12 4 10 46.15 Birmingham City (caretaker) 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 19 November 2007 28 November 2007 1 0 0 1 0.00 Sunderland (caretaker) 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 1 December 2011 4 December 2011 1 0 0 1 0.00 Blackburn Rovers (caretaker) 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 28 September 2012 present 2 0 2 0 0.00 Total 57 19 10 28 33.33

[edit]

Still a better record than Kean but no, I don't want him as manager. Having said that, I don't see the point in berating Venky's for appointing him manager when they haven't...

Still a better record than Kean but no, I don't want him as manager. Having said that, I don't see the point in berating Venky's for appointing him manager when they haven't...

We all watched in a trance as Kean was appointed care-taker, given a few more games, given the job substantively, awarded a pay-rise and then had his contract extended!

No point in being quiet now and berating Venkys when its too late. Its a serious possibility--could you deny that?

PS-----everybody has a better record than Kean.

I think it's just the anxiety that Venky's are going to resort to the cheap option again.

There's no reason to believe Black WON'T get the job on the back of a few half-decent results.

All this concern is understandable. Venky's screwed up the previous appointment big time, if they hadn't nobody would be questioning their judgement or have major concerns that they might do it again.

This next appointment could end up being the most important decision in the club's history. If you believe the official line from the club promotion is the only option as we have spent a huge amount of money that needs Premier League finance next year to pay for it. The next manager decision therefore has to be a complete success, we can't afford to get it wrong once again.

Even Kean could get us to perform well in single games (Liverpool 3-1 for example).

If Black wasn't already at the club he wouldn't stand a chance. Therefore he's not the right man.

This is by no means an endorsement but his interviews since he's been put in temporary charge are so refreshing compared to the bald one, another decent one in todays LT

This is why I think (hope) he won't be held in the same disregard as Kean if he gets the gig. To be honest Kean was a one off, I can't see us ever giving another manager as much stick as he got, he deserved every ounce of it mind.

This is by no means an endorsement but his interviews since he's been put in temporary charge are so refreshing compared to the bald one, another decent one in todays LT

Another interview! Surprise surprise!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2213610/Caretaker-boss-Eric-Black-throws-hat-ring-charge-Blackburn.html?openGraphAuthor=%2Fhome%2Fsearch.html%3Fs%3D%26authornamef%3DJohn%2BEdwards

I would be very disappointed if Black got the job. I think he is far too cautious and 'straight' to be able to inspire this team to achieve. His appointment certainly wouldn't bring any excitement which won't help the club who are trying to win the fans back.

What people need to remember here is that he was a big part of Team Kean, he was also at fault for our relegation alongside Kean. A few honest words and a few decent interviews do not hide away some of the ridiculous comments made during Kean's era or his involvement in the demise of the club to where it is today.

Eric Black would not have my support whether I am right or wrong in saying that.

Exactly. I'd try to support him but like most i'd probably be on his back if he didn't do brilliantly in his first few games after getting the job. too associated with kean to be given as much of a chance as most would be. Think he probably knows it too so he is best to do a decent job whilst caretaker and then go with his head held high and his stock with the rest of the football world reasonably high. He can then say, Kean's failure wasn't down to me - he didn't listen. There's probably video of them on the touchline to bear that out. Stands a decent chance of getting another job that way and proves he's not a backstabber.

I think it's the same interview just a new headline... happy.png

And for the others to say that he is as much to blame as Kean for relegation is just moronic.

How is that moronic? Did he not set the team up? Did he not take training? Was he invisible last season, hiding under a secret cloak?

Come on, get off it. He was the assistant manager for Christ's sake and had a large input in team affairs whether you choose to believe that or not. He was part of the team that took us down.

How is that moronic? Did he not set the team up? Did he not take training? Was he invisible last season, hiding under a secret cloak?

Come on, get off it. He was the assistant manager for Christ's sake and had a large input in team affairs whether you choose to believe that or not. He was part of the team that took us down.

But another assistant manager was Clement.....who Ancelotti wanted with him at PSG......if Clement was bad and a major part of why we were bad whilst he was here, why on earth would a Champions League team want him there?

I think we were already in the kean when he arrived in january... As the new guy i doubt very much he had the influence to change things especially seeing how it went for players and staff that had questioned steve keans decisions :wacko:

Not saying he is the right man for the job by the way, just that to say that he was equally at fault for relegation as the manager is keans ^_^

Kean went through three experienced assistants in his time here and not one of them could stop the rot.

So either all three of them were completely useless or Kean's ineptitude was beyond salvation.

I know which one I'm leaning towards.

Archived