BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Booing Players

Now Kean has gone some of our wonderful fans have decided that now they can't boo him they just can't help themselves but target somebody else. It's not a new phenomenon of course. We've had players down the years who have been booed, quite recently Keith Andrews attracting the abuse.

So far this season I've heard Murphy and Jason Lowe being booed. Now Murphy has played below the standard I have expected of him and came with a little expectation given he had played well last season in the Prem and has a lot of experience. I've been disappointed that he hasn't had more of an impact and at times his technique has been lacking in even some of the more basic passes he has tried to play. It is however early days and we are very much in a transitional stage. How anybody thinks it is going to benefit the team by booing individuals who are playing for the club (from the games I have seen - all home games but the first two - he has looked interested in recieving the ball and has not shirked away from playing his game, rather his game hasn't been coming off) I do not know.

On the other hand you have Lowe who is still a young lad who is learning and has come through the ranks. He gets on with his game without complaints and tries is best and is always full of running.

What is some people's problem? Why the constant scapegoating? I worry that now Kean has gone the fans think they can just boo absolutely anything, until they are heard. We need to get up this season. It is imperative. There are ways to do things constructively but booing the players whilst they are playing is not one of them. Our fans are getting a worse and worse reputation, rightly or wrongly, but I know if I was the likes of Murphy, I wouldn't be recommending others coming here.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

(To the OP) You're a troll for the most part, but the crux of what you're saying is right.

It is embarassing and cringeworthy. Heard it in the BBE around where I sat a few times on Saturday.

Braddock, you've been a bit of a wind up merchant at times through the Kean troubles. Have to say though you're spot on with that. Time for the support to Galvanise and try to push the team on. Dare say its been a rough time for them as well. Lets show some unity.

• Backroom

No player is exempt from criticism, however booing them at the game is absolutely pointless and makes me cringe every time I hear it.

They might be overpaid, unfit and underachieving... but booing them isn't going to solve any of those problems. Wanting the team to win is not compatible with booing one of our own players.

It's a minority, but still very irritating to hear.

The ill feeling at Rovers ran so deep it is totally unrealistic to expect a complete u-turn after one home match without Kean. There was a very real optimism in & around Ewood before the match. Unfortunately when the football was served up it was slow paced and sloppy. I'm sorry, but any crowd in the country would have reacted the same after everything we have endurred over the last 2 years. The attendance was up and thats a good thing. But the trust will have to be earned and that'll take a long time. Rovers fans are no more monsters than any other set of fans. If Venky's appoint a well respected manager who is capable in his own right, the fans will give him a chance. But to expect happy clapping and total forgivness straight away is not realistic. Also, some of these whiter than white players we are supposed to blindly cheer to glory were pretty vocal in their support for Kean. Are we to forgive and forget that too?

Rovers have had their good name tarnished and so have the fans. I'm sure that a new man will be given a suitable amount of time and support to get things right. Well, as right as they can ever be under Venky's ownership. I'm fairly certain if the contents of the BIG NEWS STORY thread breaks then Rovers fans might well earn some kudos amongst the football world again too.

You are aware Braddock that Murphy was being booed specifically by the Wolves fans on Saturday?

I've no idea why, possibly he slagged their team and style of play in the past, but I don't know.

Admittedly there were murmurings of discontent (yet in fairness to him I thought he did ok for the beginning of the second half) but I did not hear any major booing of him by Rovers supporters.

However I would agree with your fundamental point, vis a vis targeting specific considered poor performing players is not good, I personally have actively taken the reverse standpoint when I thought that it was unfair, e.g. Super Atko & Handbag.

• Moderation Lead

The ill feeling at Rovers ran so deep it is totally unrealistic to expect a complete u-turn after one home match without Kean. There was a very real optimism in & around Ewood before the match. Unfortunately when the football was served up it was slow paced and sloppy. I'm sorry, but any crowd in the country would have reacted the same after everything we have endurred over the last 2 years. The attendance was up and thats a good thing. But the trust will have to be earned and that'll take a long time. Rovers fans are no more monsters than any other set of fans. If Venky's appoint a well respected manager who is capable in his own right, the fans will give him a chance. But to expect happy clapping and total forgivness straight away is not realistic. Also, some of these whiter than white players we are supposed to blindly cheer to glory were pretty vocal in their support for Kean. Are we to forgive and forget that too?

Rovers have had their good name tarnished and so have the fans. I'm sure that a new man will be given a suitable amount of time and support to get things right. Well, as right as they can ever be under Venky's ownership. I'm fairly certain if the contents of the BIG NEWS STORY thread breaks then Rovers fans might well earn some kudos amongst the football world again too.

+1,000,000

You are aware Braddock that Murphy was being booed specifically by the Wolves fans on Saturday?

That is interesting. From the BBE it sounded like our fans in the DE booing. There is history with Murphy and Wolves following a tackle from Karl Henry that broke Zamora's leg.

The team got exactly what they deserved. Last seasons relegtion wasn't just down to Kean as was this seasons succession of inpet performances.

There's nothing different to paying to see then heckling a poor comedian

There is if you want the comedian to succeed and become better.

Blurgh. Namby pamby soft modern Britain nonsense if you ask me :-)

They should thank their lucky stars that people care enough to point out where they are going wrong so they can work on becomming better ;-)

Kean shanked their chains and see where that got us

People are just very naffed off, and rightly so in my opinion. We achieved victory over Kean after years of struggle and what are we rewarded with? A totally inept performance devoid of passion and direction. Half of that is venkys fault for not getting a proper manager in quickly enough. Half is the players for the total lack of fight and spirit on the pitch.

The fans did their bit, the singing in the Darwen End was literally non-stop first half. But there has to be some give and take. Maybe things will improve with a decent manager. Or maybe Kean has signed a raft of characterless bottlers to replace battle-hardened veterans like Nelsen, Salgado, Emerton and others who were inexplicably let go.

There was no-one booing Murphy around me on the lower tier BBE. I heard Wolves fans booing him, but that is historical from when Murphy said the likes of Rovers and Wolves cared more about stopping opposition teams than playing themselves.

Jim Branagan, Jimmy Quinn, Bobby Svarc, Tim Sherwood, Mark Atkins, Jason Wilcox, Ian Miller, Keith Andrews, Jason Roberts, etc. We have a long list of players that have been a target for the boo-boys over the years.

It's unhelpful and counter productive to boo the players, but equally they cope fine with 70,000 booing them at OT and similar, so should really be able to cope with a small minority at Rovers showing their displeasure without collapsing and ringing the Samaritans.

Nice to see Braddock getting his/her thinking-cap on looking for new and innovative ways to attack "wonderful Rovers fans" now that Kean has gone.

#braddockout

I don't consider the fans who are booing players to be wonderful fans so if by "wonderful Rovers fans" you mean "the Rovers fans who boo players" then I think Braddock's completely justified in attacking them (if you believe that the only reason Braddock has started this thread is to attack fans).

Booing a player in the blue n white halves is tantamount to high treason, and any person (can't call them a fan) caught doing it should face the death penalty.......or worse!

If the team or individual players consistently play below par they're going to get booed, thats the only way fans can really get their feelings across and that's how football works, has Braddock only just started following football?

Not really. Braddocks opening post is spot on. The boo's and sarcastic jeers Andrews got was well out of order. Why did he get them? Because he wasn't very good and the manager kept picking him.

The only time I could condone booing is if a player really slated the fans or if that player was obviously not putting effort in. As far as I can see that didn't apply to Andrews and doesn't apply to Lowe or Murphy. They are just poor.

Archived