BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jimmy Saville

Secondly, some young ladies of 14 and 15 years old are not "children". If they have the body and the beauty of a woman, they are definitely not children. So classing Saville as a paedophile is completely wrong. I know that the law says an adult starts at 16 but the law could be (and may be in the future will be) changed to 15. Then what?

I've just seen this thread. This contribution is particularly strange.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimmy Saville is estimated to have raised more than 40 million pounds for charity during his lifetime and left his own 4.5 million pound fortune to charity too. It is unfortunate that he is now unlikely to be remembered for his good public works.

What stopped this exposé coming out in 90s? The 2000s? Why wait until just a year after his death?

Saville was no longer a bigwig at the BBC, so you can't even use that argument.

Again, not saying he isn't guilty. There probably is a ring of truth to these accusations but the timing of them makes it pretty much open season since he isn't alive to defend himself. Where's the justice in someone being guilty before proven innocent?

I take your point. I'd suggest the longer someone lives with the abuse the harder it becomes to speak out. The individual may feel 20-30 years after the event there is even less chance of being believed? I think, but can't be sure, it's been demonstrated abuse victims often bury the events until much later in life through a feeling of personsal shame or guilt.

Why come out now? Two or three people were prepared to speak out, once this happened others who have lived with what they may view as a guilty secret realised they weren't alone and have taken the opportunity to unburden themselves.

I don't think this is a question of trying to besmirch a dead man. Saville was a predatory pedophile who preyed on sick and disabled children as well as the fit and healthy. It's hard to imagine anything more vile, he deserves exposure dead or alive.

The other aspect as to why this should be exposed is to protect people in the future. There are many questions which now surround major institutions. Who is to say it isn't happening now or couldn't in the future?

Secondly, some young ladies of 14 and 15 years old are not "children". If they have the body and the beauty of a woman, they are definitely not children.

This sentence seems to be causing people unease. Put it down to my long term memory.

Fifty two years ago I was a youth of 17 and I had a girlfriend of 15 and I thought she was beautiful.

It now seems clear that Saville was indeed a serial, predatory paedophile judging by the daily new revelations.

At least my first post has got some discussion going.

This sentence seems to be causing people unease. Put it down to my long term memory.

Fifty two years ago I was a youth of 17 and I had a girlfriend of 15 and I thought she was beautiful.

It now seems clear that Saville was indeed a serial, predatory paedophile judging by the daily new revelations.

At least my first post has got some discussion going.

Oh dear. Not even an apology re your OP.

What you have just described is totally different to what you initially implied.

It may be the case that he was "untouchable" due to his popularity and his all round "good bloke" personality. It took a lot to bring down Sir Anthony Blunt & Jeffery Archer because they were all part of "the establishment." Saville may not have had that "old school" background but he did have some immunity due to his fame.

I can only suggest that, for example, if one of the maids at Highgrove House accused Prince Charles of sexuallly molesting or raping her how far do you thing that one would go? (I'll add the comment that I am not suggesting for one instance that this has happened, it's just a theoretical example - rest easy mods.....)

I think you might be right - and if you are then in my opinion the possibilities are absolutely frightening.

Status should never protect in these situations - how deep does this issue run??

What stopped this exposé coming out in 90s? The 2000s? Why wait until just a year after his death?

Saville was no longer a bigwig at the BBC, so you can't even use that argument.

Again, not saying he isn't guilty. There probably is a ring of truth to these accusations but the timing of them makes it pretty much open season since he isn't alive to defend himself. Where's the justice in someone being guilty before proven innocent?

Agree on this.

I just find it so hard to beleive that someone as seemingly prolific as reports in the past few days, would be able to keep such a lid on this for so long, charity work or no charity work. Given the behaviour of the red top press, I also fancy that stories were held back due to possible libel action, rather than drop in charity funding.

I'm not claiming he is innocent, just that nothing is proven, or will be proven. I'd be willing to bet that some of the claims in the past few days are people seeking a few quid for a unprovable story.

Obvious Saville will never get a day in court, but this article from 2001 by a journo that spent a lot of time with Jonathan King during his trial is an interesting (if tough at times) read and show that in King's case at least, he never really got what was wrong with it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2001/dec/01/weekend.jonronson

Obvious Saville will never get a day in court, but this article from 2001 by a journo that spent a lot of time with Jonathan King during his trial is an interesting (if tough at times) read and show that in King's case at least, he never really got what was wrong with it.

http://www.guardian....ekend.jonronson

Sex and Drugs, unfortunately, a lot of people in the music/showbiz get heavily involved in those things, did not know this about Johnathan King, I once got a compilation just to have that song "Everyone's gone to the moon."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_King

A little more on him.

Yes, I've thought for some time that this organisation is a law unto itself.

I'm hoping with any luck, that when the truth emerges, it will initiate the breaking up of the BBC and it will have to soldier on in a different format generating its own revenue (which in fact it does already through merchandise and adverts on its website). I have to say most of the programming that comes out on it is gash. A minority is good but whether that would survive if it went commercial I couldn't say.

I saw a clip of Jim'll Fix It on youtube recently and cringed when I saw him laying his hands on the kid on it. Eurgh.

One other thing to note is that they put out a Christmas special on this freak last year, a few months after binning the Newsnight piece revealing the truth about him. clearly the BBC holding its own investigation into this is going to be a complete waste of time as even if it's done properly, no-one will believe the conclusions. There's got to be collaborators and facilitators in this whole story who are still alive, and the truth must be uncovered to punish these people and put them out of circulation.

• Backroom

Yes, I've thought for some time that this organisation is a law unto itself.

I'm hoping with any luck, that when the truth emerges, it will initiate the breaking up of the BBC and it will have to soldier on in a different format generating its own revenue (which in fact it does already through merchandise and adverts on its website). I have to say most of the programming that comes out on it is gash. A minority is good but whether that would survive if it went commercial I couldn't say.

I saw a clip of Jim'll Fix It on youtube recently and cringed when I saw him laying his hands on the kid on it. Eurgh.

One other thing to note is that they put out a Christmas special on this freak last year, a few months after binning the Newsnight piece revealing the truth about him. clearly the BBC holding its own investigation into this is going to be a complete waste of time as even if it's done properly, no-one will believe the conclusions. There's got to be collaborators and facilitators in this whole story who are still alive, and the truth must be uncovered to punish these people and put them out of circulation.

That in itself puts the BBC firmly in the firing line imo. Cashing in on hiding this guys perversions even after his death. Sick and twisted and almost as bad as Savile himself. Aiding and abetting, for want of a better phrase!

Archived