Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager Part 2

Kamy100

499 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following managers would you accept

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it had nothing to do with the 30 games that proceeded Shearer's games in charge then...?

Yes that had plenty to do with it but you can't argue that a return of 5 points from 8 games contributed seriously to the relegation.

They had average 0.92 points per game without Shearer that season. They averaged 0.625 points with him. They got less points with Shearer than for the 8 games before his appointment.

Had Shearer had a full season of course it may have been different but bringing him in statistically brought about a downturn in fortunes. Harsh to judge Shearer as a manager based only on those 8 games but to say that they were down before he took over blatently is not true.

Personally I like the sound of Robinson as he knows the club, has done fairly well at MK Dons and I've heard a couple of in depth interviews from him and liked what I heard.

Genuinely have no idea who we'll end up with though. Only consolation is even the jokers in charge can't appoint a worse manager than Kean.

i agree about Karl Robinson part

Most would be wrong.

Shearer got a measly five points from eight games whilst in charge.

Even one more point would have kept them up, and any vaguely experienced manager would likely have got that extra point.

Alan Shearer relegated Newcastle.

Plenty of experienced managers have been relegated too you know

Dont agree it was Shearers fault..in fact i find it crazy that some do...they were after hitting the iceberg, after that it was just a matter of time dispite anyones efforts!! i still dont want him but to blame shearer is very harsh!

i wonder does shebby'no comment' singh realise that by sayin 'no comment' he might as well be telling the reporters the answer to there question? if they said to him 'shebby will you be interviewing steve kean for the role?' would he say 'no comment'?...i dont think so..you can read alot into what his replies are...

So it had nothing to do with the 30 games that proceeded Shearer's games in charge then...?

Okay my final sentence was pretty harsh to solely blame Shearer.

However, after those 30 games relegation could easily have been avoided had they gone for experience. Ultimately appointing Shearer is what cost them.

They certainly weren't relegated by the time Shearer took over.

If Judan Ali, Appears on this shortlist, We should start to worry.

After spending 8 million on Rhodes, I can't see Venky's wanting to part with too much more.

At the start of the season, nearly everyone said that we should walk this league,

Whoever we had as manager. So maybe Venky's are thinking the same.

Judan Ali's name is cropping up quite a bit, and i can see them going for this option,

with Shebby "grooming" him.

When did that happen? As many people said we'd go down again with Kean than reach the playoffs. Most said mid-table at best.

Newcastle was not already relegated when Shearer took over they went down on the last day due to a Damien Duff own goal. He only had little time to turn their fortunes and he failed pretty badly in that little time to inspire his side on to staying in the PL.

The fact they weren't good enough over 38 games is the reason they were relegated, not 1 of the 59 goals that they conceded......Shearer didn't relegate them but he still did quite a poor job all things considered imo....despite the downward spiral etc they only picked up 5 points.....drew/lost most of their home matches......played 3 at the back against Liverpool.....played Damien Duff at left back a couple of times.....not the wisest decisions......he's more of a legend there than here......if he couldn't motivate them, what makes people think he would do it for our players.

Most managers start their careers at a lower level.....you get the impression Shearer is just waiting for a bigger job to fall into his lap.

My personal opinion on Shearer is that he was brought in more as a motivator and they were hoping that his presence would galvanise the players into performing and stopping up. This didn't happen. It was all very underwhelming and he was hardly a presence at all. If he's not much of a motivator (not necessarily true as it could have been the players but then a lot of people are questioning our players at the moment, so why would they perform any better under him?) then he will have to be a good man manager with good tactical nouse. Given his appearances on MOTD I don't have the confidence that he is. Obviously the dressing room is a different environment but given what we have to go on there's just no evidence to show he'll be any good. That being the case, given our precarious position and the supposed quality of candidates coming forward I see no reason why anybody would want Shearer as manager if they were to take his previous Rovers career out of the equation (which must be done for the benefit of the club - incidentally, I'd leave him out even keeping his former career into the equation as it counts for nothing when it comes to management).

Pre Shearer 30 games 29 points, .966 PPG, Shearer .625PPG.

Someone with more experience, tactical nous, organisation skills may well have secured that extra point they needed.

At the time Shearer took over, we were one point above them on 30pts we finished on 41, Sam secured 1.375PPG.. There's the difference, experience.

My personal opinion on Shearer is that he was brought in more as a motivator and they were hoping that his presence would galvanise the players into performing and stopping up. This didn't happen. It was all very underwhelming and he was hardly a presence at all. If he's not much of a motivator (not necessarily true as it could have been the players but then a lot of people are questioning our players at the moment, so why would they perform any better under him?) then he will have to be a good man manager with good tactical nouse. Given his appearances on MOTD I don't have the confidence that he is. Obviously the dressing room is a different environment but given what we have to go on there's just no evidence to show he'll be any good. That being the case, given our precarious position and the supposed quality of candidates coming forward I see no reason why anybody would want Shearer as manager if they were to take his previous Rovers career out of the equation (which must be done for the benefit of the club - incidentally, I'd leave him out even keeping his former career into the equation as it counts for nothing when it comes to management).

I think a lot of people will now warm to the idea of Shearer if you're against his appointment.

What's your point? Chances are those managers have had numerous successes too and haven't spent the rest of their time after their playing days sitting on the MOTD sofa.

The way i read your post you were saying Newcastle would have definately stayed up if they had appointed an experienced manager , i was merely stating experienced manager's get relegated too

Shearers Newcastle team lost to the teams that finished 2nd, 3rd, 6th,7th and 8th, drew with 12th and 14th and beat 19th.

Steve Kean had 10 points from his first 8 games in charge. Paul Ince 11 points from his first 8 games. The Newcastle spell shouldn't inform whether or not he is or will be a good manager.

Shearers Newcastle team lost to the teams that finished 2nd, 3rd, 6th,7th and 8th, drew with 12th and 14th and beat 19th.

Steve Kean had 10 points from his first 8 games in charge. Paul Ince 11 points from his first 8 games. The Newcastle spell shouldn't inform whether or not he is or will be a good manager.

Great use of stats. Very telling.

I don't think Shearer should be completely written off just yet. I do question his drive though. Does he really want to be a manager?

Tim Sherwood 7/4 Alan Shearer 4/1 Mick McCarthy 5/1 Eric Black 16/1 Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 20/1 Roy Keane 20/1 Ian Holloway 20/1 Jurgen Klinsmann 25/1 Owen Coyle 33/1 Ottmar Hitzfeld 33/1 Bernd Schuster 33/1 Sven Goran Eriksson 33/1 Keith Hill 33/1 Karl Robinson 33/1 Judan Ali 33/1 Staurt Mccall 50/1 Paul Dickov 50/1 Giovanni Trappatoni 66/1 Henrik Larsson 66/1 Gary Flitcroft 25/1 Rafa Benitez 66/1 Les Ferdinand 66/1 Harry Redknapp 66/1 Jose Antonio Camacho 66/1 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 66/1 Gordon Strachan 66/1 Billy Davies 66/1 Bobby Houghton 66/1 Colin Hendry 66/1 Kenny Dalglish 66/1 Mike Newell 66/1 Nuno Gomez 66/1 Paolo Di Canio 66/1 Greg Abbott 66/1 Alan Curbishley 66/1 Alex McLeish 66/1 Alan Irvine 66/1 Avram Grant 66/1 Brad Friedel 66/1 Carlo Ancelotti 66/1 Carlos Quieroz 66/1 Danny Murphy 66/1 Darren Ferguson 66/1 Dave Jones 66/1 Dennis Wise 66/1 Derek McInnes 66/1 Derek Fazackerley 66/1 Didier Deschamps 66/1 Edwin Van Der Sar 66/1 Frank Rijkaard 66/1 Gareth Southgate 66/1 Gary Megson 66/1 Glenn Hoddle 66/1 Graeme Souness 66/1 Guus Hiddink 66/1 Iain Dowie 66/1 Jeff Kenna 66/1 Luis Figo 66/1 Neil Warnock 66/1 Nigel Worthington 66/1 Ossie Ardiles 66/1 Paul Ince 66/1 Peter Reid 66/1 Phil Brown 66/1 Ray Wilkins 66/1 Ronald Koeman 66/1 Sean Dyche 66/1 Sean O'Driscoll 66/1 Shebby Singh 66/1 Slaven Bilic 66/1 Steve Bruce 66/1 Steve Coppell 66/1 Steve Cotterill 66/1 Stuart Pearce 66/1 Walter Smith 66/1 Brian Laws 66/1 Kevin Keegan 66/1 Tugay 66/1 Robbie Savage 66/1 Tim Flowers 66/1 Wim Koevermans 66/1 David O'Leary 66/1 Brendan Rodgers 100/1 Chris Coleman 100/1 Diego Maradona 100/1 John Coleman 100/1 Paul Lambert 100/1 Roberto Donadoni 100/1 Pep Guardiola 250/1

Please note - Market relates to next permanent appointment.Caretaker or acting manager roles will not count.

funny how it is Shearer that is credited with Taking Newcastle down in his 8 games and not Kinnear and Hughton before him

but

When Mick McCarthy gets mentioned on here as possible manager it was he , who got Wolves relegated , not the 13 game Terry Connor

can anyone post a big list of managers linked and there odds?

BetVictor.

Next Permanent Manager - Outright

PRICE Tim Sherwood 7/4 Alan Shearer 4/1 Mick McCarthy 5/1 Eric Black 16/1 Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 20/1 Roy Keane 20/1 Ian Holloway 20/1 Jurgen Klinsmann 25/1 Owen Coyle 33/1 Ottmar Hitzfeld 33/1 Bernd Schuster 33/1 Sven Goran Eriksson 33/1 Keith Hill 33/1 Karl Robinson 33/1 Judan Ali 33/1 Staurt Mccall 50/1 Paul Dickov 50/1 Giovanni Trappatoni 66/1 Henrik Larsson 66/1 Gary Flitcroft 25/1 Rafa Benitez 66/1 Les Ferdinand 66/1 Harry Redknapp 66/1 Jose Antonio Camacho 66/1 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 66/1 Gordon Strachan 66/1 Billy Davies 66/1 Bobby Houghton 66/1 Colin Hendry 66/1 Kenny Dalglish 66/1 Mike Newell 66/1 Nuno Gomez 66/1 Paolo Di Canio 66/1 Greg Abbott 66/1 Alan Curbishley 66/1 Alex McLeish 66/1 Alan Irvine 66/1 Avram Grant 66/1 Brad Friedel 66/1 Carlo Ancelotti 66/1 Carlos Quieroz 66/1 Danny Murphy 66/1 Darren Ferguson 66/1 Dave Jones 66/1 Dennis Wise 66/1 Derek McInnes 66/1 Derek Fazackerley 66/1 Didier Deschamps 66/1 Edwin Van Der Sar 66/1 Frank Rijkaard 66/1 Gareth Southgate 66/1 Gary Megson 66/1 Glenn Hoddle 66/1 Graeme Souness 66/1 Guus Hiddink 66/1 Iain Dowie 66/1 Jeff Kenna 66/1 Luis Figo 66/1 Neil Warnock 66/1 Nigel Worthington 66/1 Ossie Ardiles 66/1 Paul Ince 66/1 Peter Reid 66/1 Phil Brown 66/1 Ray Wilkins 66/1 Ronald Koeman 66/1 Sean Dyche 66/1 Sean O'Driscoll 66/1 Shebby Singh 66/1 Slaven Bilic 66/1 Steve Bruce 66/1 Steve Coppell 66/1 Steve Cotterill 66/1 Stuart Pearce 66/1 Walter Smith 66/1 Brian Laws 66/1 Kevin Keegan 66/1 Tugay 66/1 Robbie Savage 66/1 Tim Flowers 66/1 Wim Koevermans 66/1 David O'Leary 66/1 Brendan Rodgers 100/1 Chris Coleman 100/1 Diego Maradona 100/1 John Coleman 100/1 Paul Lambert 100/1 Roberto Donadoni 100/1 Pep Guardiola 250/1

funny how it is Shearer that is credited with Taking Newcastle down in his 8 games and not Kinnear and Hughton before him

but

When Mick McCarthy gets mentioned on here as possible manager it was he , who got Wolves relegated , not the 13 game Terry Connor

That's entirely consistent. When McCarthy got sacked they were 18th, level on points with 16th. McCarthy had kept them up the previous two seasons and may well have done so again. When Terry O Connor took charge he got just 4 points from 12 games and Wolves sank without a trace.

Shearer is a arrogant individual who believes he has a God-given right to manage a big club based solely on his playing career. Frightening enough our own fans buy into it! Even Ince had the good grace to learn his trade in the lower leagues.

I'm still waiting to hear what remotely qualifies him for this job. I mean, everything else aside, Shearer has exposed his pig ignorance on MOTD time and time again. If it wasn't for the fact he once played for us, this would be a complete non-starter.

And why do people assume that an experienced staff is going to make a difference? Giafranco Zola had Steve Clarke at West Ham - and you don't get much more experience than that. Didn't do him any favours, did it? People are just so desperate for this Rovers wetdream that they don't care if Shearer's a glorified sockpuppet.

Shearer is a arrogant individual who believes he has a God-given right to manage a big club based solely on his playing career. Frightening enough our owns fans buy into it! Even Ince had the good grace to learn his trade in the lower leagues.

I'm still waiting to hear what remotely qualifies him for this job. I mean, everything else aside, Shearer has exposed his pig ignorance on MOTD time and time again. If it wasn't for the fact he once played for us, this would be a complete non-issue.

And why do people assume that an experienced staff is going to make a difference? Giafranco Zola had Steve Clarke at West Ham - and you don't get much more experience than that. Didn't do him any favours, did it? People are just so desperate for this Rovers wetdream that they don't care if Shearer's a glorified sockpuppet.

+ 1000

Shearer is a arrogant individual who believes he has a God-given right to manage a big club based solely on his playing career. Frightening enough our owns fans buy into it! Even Ince had the good grace to learn his trade in the lower leagues.

I'm still waiting to hear what remotely qualifies him for this job. I mean, everything else aside, Shearer has exposed his pig ignorance on MOTD time and time again. If it wasn't for the fact he once played for us, this would be a complete non-issue.

*try to learn his trade!!!!!

Archived